April 20, 2024, 02:51:28 am

Softmoding a Wii?

Started by That Guy from Faxanadu, November 29, 2013, 02:58:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

That Guy from Faxanadu

I´d like to softmod my PAL Wii since I have a pair of US games. Do anyone here have any experience in softmoding it? Any recommendations for using instructions from a particular site?

MaxXimus

I used this guide with the letterbomb exploit on 4.3.

I used an NTSC machine but this guide covers all regions.

As long as you do what the instructions say and dont skip any steps you will be perfectly fine.

Good luck.

That Guy from Faxanadu

November 29, 2013, 03:27:46 pm #2 Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 03:50:03 pm by That Guy from Faxanadu
Thanks, I´ll have a look at that!

EDIT:
So, once I´ve installed the homebrew channel using letterbomb, is this what I need to play Wii games from NTSC discs (priiloader)?  https://code.google.com/p/priiloader/

Ghegs

Priiloader is one option, you can also try TinyLoad and GeckoOS.

It's still a bit of a hit and miss. I can run my few US GameCube games on my PAL Wii well enough, but the one US Wii game I have either refuses to boot or will display with only red colours depending on the program I use to load it.

That Guy from Faxanadu

Hm, I see. Guess I´ll download all three programs just in case. I have Excitebots and No More Heroes, so I´ll just hope for the best there. Thinking about getting SNK Arcade Classics too.

Ghegs

Data East Arcade Classics is the one that's giving me difficulties. Let us know how you fare with Excitebots and No More Heroes, I'm curious about the compatibility rate. It seems to be difficult to find any solid info about this stuff online.

fcgamer

Were these games only released in NTSC format, or why not just get the PAL versions in the future?  I am honestly curious on this one, not trying to be a smart ass or anything. 

I know a lot of people in PAL land these days collecting NTSC games (more so with the retro games though), and it just always seems a bit odd to me, at least for the titles that were released in both regions.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

That Guy from Faxanadu

Region exclusive games is exactly the reason. Excitebots and SNK Arcade were never released in PAL version. And unfortunatly No More Heroes got censored over here, so the cutscenes have been changed. (The sequel was released unscratched).

Quote from: Ghegs on November 30, 2013, 05:34:38 am
Data East Arcade Classics is the one that's giving me difficulties.

Thanks for the warning, I´ve considered buying that collection but I´ll stay away then!

b1aCkDeA7h

Generally, it's much easier to get a USB hard drive and have the games automatically boot in whatever region you set your HD Loader to.

That Guy from Faxanadu

Okay, do I still have to get a homebrew channel for the Wii first? What is needed to boot disks via HD loader through a USB harddrive? And are all USB harddrives compatible with the Wii?

Ghegs

Data East Arcade Classics is US-only also.

Quote from: b1aCkDeA7h on November 30, 2013, 07:39:54 am
Generally, it's much easier to get a USB hard drive and have the games automatically boot in whatever region you set your HD Loader to.

I tried booting the disc via usbloaderGX, but to no avail. Guess I could try to put it on a USB hard drive, but I'm doubtful it would make any difference.

MaxXimus

Did you install the dvdx wad? It is needed to be able to read burnt discs.

Ghegs

My games are all quite legit and original.

FamicomRetroGamer

ModMii + SD Card

The Wii becomes a lot better with softmod/hardmod rather than letting it die with its official software.

QuoteMy games are all quite legit and original.

I buy my own games too but that doesn't invalidate the purpose of softmodding a Wii because it's a lot better to play all games from the SD Card rather than swapping discs every time.

Pikkon