FDS BIOS differences

Started by astro187, December 05, 2013, 11:58:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

astro187

Are there any differences between the Nintendo Famicom Disk System BIOS and the Twin Famicom BIOS other than the title screen?  Are there any game/accessory compatibility differences or "easter egg" type differences?

Mooliecool

Well the only difference that I found is that the loading screen in the Twin says Famicom, and the loading screen in the standard disk system says Nintendo.
By Mooliecool 8)

P

That seems to be the only difference. Even the hidden credits easter egg is identical.
http://tcrf.net/Family_Computer_Disk_System

hvc01

I can confirm that both of my twin famicoms have nintendo bios rather than famicom...i have no idea why...anyone have this happen before?

P

Hm maybe you have a earlier version of the Twin before Sharp decided to remove all branding they could find.

Hvc01, is the hidden message accessible on both your twins? The one that mentions Takao Sawano's name in the above link.

hvc01

Hi P. Takao Sawano's name present in the first one. Have yet to check the other one. Will let you know when I do. I think the bios is on the motherboard as the screen comes up when the disc drive isn't connected so must have came with that bios. Huh

P

I guess the Twin works the same as a normal Famicom but with the RAM adapter built in. A normal RAM adapter also doesn't need a disk drive to be plugged in to work.

P

But the BIOS is in the RAM adapter and not the drive.

zmaster18

I had an early Twin Famicom Red AN-500 that had the Nintendo BIOS instead of the Famicom one. I can confirm it was the system's board and not the drive because I swapped out the drives and the BIOS still said Nintendo.

hvc01

P and zmaster18 - exactly   :)