ENIO (NES Ethernet) for Famicom???

Started by Russam5354, February 18, 2014, 10:42:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Russam5354

One day I stumbled across a YouTube channel (Chykn80) owned by an NES hacker, who made a board for the NES called the ENIO (Enhanced NES Input/Output) that plugs in to the NES' expansion slot, and allows Ethernet to be used. Is something like this possible for the Famicom? (ENIO Wiki: http://enio.chykn.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page ) :question:
あなたはイースターエッグを発見!
I mainly collect Gamecube (GCN) items. I collect other items too, but I'm focusing on my GCN collection currently.

P

I'm not sure Chykn ever released the CPU board (the one with ethernet and SD). He did release the EXP board version though. It reproduces the Famicom expansion connector and are installed in the NES expansion connector, to make it possible to use Family Keyboard and other Famicom peripherals on a NES. As a bonus it connects the necessary pins needed for expansion audio.

Sarahconner

Can anyone put this into non-technical terms?

Russam5354

I saw a forum thread (I forget where, I found it in a Google search a while ago) started by Chykn, who asked for ideas for an online NES RPG that he was going to develop using the Ethernet capabilities of the ENIO to connect to the Internet.
あなたはイースターエッグを発見!
I mainly collect Gamecube (GCN) items. I collect other items too, but I'm focusing on my GCN collection currently.

P

I'm sorry, I'm not very clear. What I meant to say is that there where two projects both called ENIO:

ENIO EXP Board
Basically this has the 15 pin expansion connector that can be found on every Famicom and used for extra controllers, keyboards etc. It's supposed to be installed on the underside of a NES in order to make it possible to use these controllers etc on a NES. As a bonus, you don't need to mod your NES for expansion sound if you install an ENIO EXP Board. Expansion sound refers to the extra sound chips that can be found on some Famicom only cartridges like Akumajou Densetsu, Gimmick!, Lagrange Point, FDS RAM adapter etc.

ENIO CPU Board
This is the one Russam is talking about. It has an ethernet connector and SD card connector. Supposedly this would make it possible for homebrew/hacks to connect to the internet (for example someone could hack a high-score list into Mario Bros and update it to a high-score list on internet, or it could be used to make an online homebrew etc). It was supposed to be available both to the Famicom and the NES. It hasn't been released as far as I know.

Russam5354

February 18, 2014, 06:23:19 pm #5 Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 06:34:48 pm by Russam5354
Another thing that is sort of off-topic that I am interested in, is famiclones that have DOS built-in. When I think of DOS, video games and computers, I think of Ethernet and Internet.

Post Merge: February 18, 2014, 06:34:48 pm

Actual Internet or Ethernet hardware connecting to an actual Famicom/Disk System or NES seems better, but we could also try connecting the systems to the Internet, and playing their games by customized emulators and ROM hacks, or we could use famiclones, such as those with an OS, like a computer. (Sort of like BBGDOS).
あなたはイースターエッグを発見!

Sarahconner

This is an operating system that can connect an NES to the internet.
??? :help:

80sFREAK

Quote from: Russam5354 on February 18, 2014, 10:42:33 am
One day I stumbled across a YouTube channel (Chykn80) owned by an NES hacker, who made a board for the NES called the ENIO (Enhanced NES Input/Output) that plugs in to the NES' expansion slot, and allows Ethernet to be used. Is something like this possible for the Famicom? (ENIO Wiki: http://enio.chykn.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page ) :question:
Main question - WHAT FOR?
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

P

I'm not sure either. ENIO CPU board was not advertised much by Chykn because it was still more of an experiment. No concrete uses for it was ever stated, but he talked about streaming ROMs from a computer via the ethernet cable or from SD cards among other things.

Quote from: Sarahconner on February 18, 2014, 06:57:35 pm
This is an operating system that can connect an NES to the internet.
??? :help:

It's not an OS, it's just hardware (well maybe he is using one of those Linux server breakout modules) that you could use if you make a homebrewed game/program for Famicom, to connect to internet. As I said Chykn never came with any concrete ideas for it.

Russam5354

When I said I was interested in Famiclones with DOS, it was off topic. Nothing to do with ENIO. But, I am interested in Famicoms/Famiclones that have an OS or server hardware, or DOS, so I might rename the thread 'Famicom Internet' or something.
あなたはイースターエッグを発見!

80sFREAK

But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

Russam5354

February 19, 2014, 05:18:40 pm #11 Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 06:15:22 pm by Russam5354
Here is the link to a slightly updated SNES/SFC version of this topic: http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=10360.0

Post Merge: February 19, 2014, 06:14:13 pm

80sFREAK: Thanks for telling  me what the Commodore 64 Web Server is. I sort of wanted something like the C64 WS for an NES. Unfortunately, like P said, the ENIO board used for making Ethernet possible, is not complete yet.
あなたはイースターエッグを発見!

80sFREAK

No problem, if you are ok with 6502 assembler  ::)

Russam5354

あなたはイースターエッグを発見!

P

Yes low level programming language. If you want to know more, research "assembly". 6502 is the name of the processor the CPU in the Famicom/NES is derived from.