Fake Gimmick! purchased on Yahoo! Japan

Started by Gamestropolis, February 25, 2014, 07:56:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamestropolis

February 25, 2014, 07:56:07 am Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 08:01:43 am by Gamestropolis
Hello!

I purchased a lot of games on Yahoo! Japan (via Buyee) last year that included a copy of Gimmick! (or Mr. Gimmick) and it was shipped to my cusin addres in US. Last monday, my cusin arrived to Venezuela and brought the games with him. Yesterday he gave the package to me, but for my surprise, this is I got with the most important item I wanted and for what I paid a lot of money. Check the following pictures:

Apparently, it may look real, but the insert of box and cart label are printer copies. The cart label has less quality than a standard Famicom game label. It was cut with a pair of scissors and pasted with glue.

Here is the PCB. It is not the real Gimmick! pcb "FC-GMK", but it is Batman PCB "BAT-E301"

I think the scammer damaged the chip ex professo so that he can say the game was sold "untested", "as is", and people never could play it or claim

Here is the auction I won: http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d146397132

The seller id is: heimin7777. He frequently offers attractive lots of Famicom games on auctions, most of times those include a copy of Mr. Gimmick!

Please beware to these scammers on Yahoo Japan!

P

That sucks! :(

Thanks for letting us know about the scammer.

L___E___T

That's awful - people should be aware and you should post bad feedback with a link to this thread, if you feel that is responsible.

I'm so sorry - this is why I would not buy a copy of Gimmick! from YHJ, you just don't have the buyer protection.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

fredJ

Oops that is scary, we can expect to see fake games turn up on ebay soon. I'm glad I don't care so much about the "rarities".
What about the manual, was there a manual?
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

80sFREAK

Quote from: Gamestropolis on February 25, 2014, 07:56:07 am

First of all - you've got what you paid for. Real CIB goes for about 40000JPY.
And nothing special about damaged chip - sometimes they exploding that way

L___E___T, right, do not buy on YJP. Just DO NOT. This will bring prices on YJP to normal.
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

Gamestropolis

February 26, 2014, 06:51:42 pm #5 Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 07:28:46 pm by Gamestropolis
No, it didn't include manual

Post Merge: February 26, 2014, 07:28:46 pm

So, for you 80FREAK, It is my fault to have been stolen by this japanese scammer because I didn't pay that you think I should pay. I remember you I won an auction that started since ¥1 and finished in ¥35000, but it's been able to reached an higher amount. Perhaps, is ¥35000 nothing for you? Oh, but I bid on the auction for ¥50000. Do you imagine if the auction had finished in ¥47000?

For your information, I have sold on eBay very rare items for less than $50 in auction, when the standard price is $200 or more. Ex.: Four years ago I sold many sealed Chiller for NES for $30-$50 and my account was Top Rated Seller. This may happen due many factors, including low demand, few exposition, bad title, scary for overseas sellers, etc. Then, when I sell an rare item for a low money, should I scam to my customers because other guys sell those items for 200 bucks? Absolutely not!

When anybody offer items for sell should state clearly if they are originals or not; at least in the First World. Moreover, anybody that purchases games on Japan would believe that the items are originals because Japan has a strong control over piracy.

I am reporting to this heimin777 to prevent other buyers be scammed. This seller frequently offers lots of games with Gimmick! and his/her auctions always ends for more than ¥35000. I remember the last time I followed one auction of him/her on Yahoo!, it ended over ¥50000. The question is: all these Gimmick! Sold for this seller will be fake?

L___E___T

I remember your Chiller games, I nearly bought one.

Chip looks chiselled to me, but who knows for sure.

I'll still buy on YHJ, but I only buy what I am confident in.  I wouldn't be confident in this.

80sFreak, me buying or not buying on YHJ will not affect prices at all, you know that.  The world changes and emotion alone cannot stop that change, so learn to deal with it and adapt as best you can.  
Venting can be useful but doesn't stem the tide of change.  History is important to understant to prepare for the future.  That is how the world works, it's not survival of the fittest it's survival of the most versatile.

I tend to only buy on YHJ what I cannot buy elsewhere.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

P

bogniforus

I appreciate the fact that things like this are up. Question: How do you report an individual seller who is fraudulent?

L___E___T

March 24, 2016, 11:10:36 am #9 Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 11:15:43 am by L___E___T

On Yahoo Japan?  You can leave negative feedback and go that route, but it's very sided against the buyer and even more so if you're not a native Japanese.  Very much so.

The short story is that you need to take everything on YHJ at face value only.  I am aware that doesn't help much in the meantime if you've suffered like the above example.

Maybe our Japanese speaking and resident friends can offer some useful advice in those instances - but best place to start is direct on Yahoo Japan (or with your proxy).
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

daskrabs

Not that it matters, but that's a Batman PCB.

chowder

Quote from: daskrabs on March 25, 2016, 04:27:03 am

Not that it matters, but I think he knows ;)

Quote from: Gamestropolis
Here is the PCB. It is not the real Gimmick! pcb "FC-GMK", but it is Batman PCB "BAT-E301"

daskrabs

Oops. Missed that.

Quote from: chowder on March 25, 2016, 05:53:59 am
Quote from: daskrabs on March 25, 2016, 04:27:03 am

Not that it matters, but I think he knows ;)

Quote from: Gamestropolis

Jedi Master Baiter

This is really unpleasant. I'm not a rarity collector myself, but being a big Sunsoft fan, this is one I'm planning to get.

This could've happened to me! :-\

satoshi_matrix

Gamestropolis, you didn't mention - what happens when you plug that into a Famicom? Is the Sunsoft 5A mapper damaged and inoperable?

the pcb looks very clean. A little TOO clean for it to be a repro. where someone desoldered the original mask roms and replaced them with eproms containing Gimmick. The Sunsoft 5A and 5B are mapper compatible so theoretically if the seller did indeed think he could get away with a sale of Gimmick he could have done so by using Batman Return of the Joker as a donor.  It might not be an authentic copy, but at least it would work.

So what's the deal?