For Nintendo fans, is a Wii U a failure in your opinion?

Started by FamicomRetroGamer, March 22, 2014, 11:05:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FamicomRetroGamer

This is the list of games for the Wii U, split by exclusives and multiplatforms that I personally think are worth owning (some are yet to be released).

Spoiler
Exclusives:
Bayonetta 2
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Game & Wario
Lego: City Undercover
Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games: Sochi 2014
Mario Kart 8
Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate
New Super Luigi U
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
One Piece: Unlimited World Red
Pikmin 3
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Sonic: Boom
Sonic: Lost World
Super Mario 3D World
Super Smash Bros. 4
The Legend of Zelda: The Hyrule Warriors
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
The Wonderful 101
Xenoblade 2

Multiplatforms:
Adventure Time: Eplore the Dungeon
Assassin's Creed 3
Assassin's Creed 4
Batman: Arkham City (Armoured Edition)
Batman: Arkham Origins
Darksiders 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Director's Cut)
Disney's Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
Earthbound
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Lego: Marvel
Lego: Movie
Mass Effect 3 (Special Edition)
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edition
Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures
Phineas and Ferb: Quest for Cool Stuff
Rayman: Legends
Resident Evil: Revelations
Sniper Elite: V2
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed (Special Edition)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (Special Edition)
The Amazing Spider-Man
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist
Watch Dogs
[close]

In terms of games I have the ones I wanted but it's true that Nintendo could be putting out more exclusives (Luigi's Mansion 2: HD Edition), give the GamePad a lot more functionality and allow people to use the GamePad to play Wii games (rather than just watch the game on it). I've never been a "graphics-whore" so whichever console I play on they look great to me and the most important thing is always how the gameplay works, because if a game has amazing graphics but horrible gameplay (Knack, Ryse) I just don't care then.

The thing about Nintendo that I like most are the exclusive franchises they own so it's more than likely that my Nintendo consoles will only have exclusives than multiplatforms.

So anyway, do I consider Wii U a failure? No. But it could have be a lot better than what it is right now (Nintendo didn't advertise Wii U properly, for example).

zmaster18

My main complaints with the Wii U:

1) It's not nearly as powerful as other systems. I don't care about graphics, but loading/update times are ridiculous. It takes a good 15mins of installing updates each time I dust off the Wii U and decide to play it. It needs more than  2GB RAM!!!!

2) The games don't utilize the game pad very well. I like the pad, I just want to see why I need it for innovative gameplay.

3) The name!!! Wii U sounds too much like the Wii! Most people didn't even know it was a different console at first! Many think it's just the gamepad by itself!

JessicaWolf

The system is just too bloody expensive, considering what you are getting compared to the other systems on the market today.

What pisses me off more than the Wii U itself is the tactics Nintendo is trying to get to get people to buy the stupid thing which leave their loyal handheld consumers out in the cold and quite angry to be honest. Stuff like making SNES and GBA games exclusive to the WiiU, when we all know good and well the 3DS hardware can more than handle the execution/emulation and the consumers have expressed overwhelming desire to PURCHASE such titles.

I think if Nintendo wants to turn the Wii U around, they need to look in to making the Wii U do something the current line of handhelds cant do, like emulate N64 titles. They also need to work on their lineup of top shelf games, but must of all they need to knock that price 32GB price down to $230 and the 8GB to $199.99. They might take a loss for a quarter, but as soon as the holidays hit the systems will fly off the shelves.
Here are a few games I am looking for right now
Super Puzzle Fighter II X (Sega Saturn)
GeGeGe no Kotarou (Sega Saturn)
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (Sega Saturn)
KiKi KaiKai (PC Engine) (CIB)
Puzzle Bobble (Super Famicom) (CIB)

L___E___T

Is this thread a great big rhetorical question?  From Nintendo's viewpoint its far from a success, so there's my answer.

I'll get one, but let's not beat around the bush, it's not doing as well as the Gamecube and that nearly did them in before.  Yes i think it's the new Virtual Boy, it's a solution without a problem, with its own host of problems.

So, therein lies my answer - it has its plus points but yes its a failure and that is plain to see.  It is in trouble because it hasn't struck a chord with fans, precisely for the reasons JessicaWolf stated, along with more.  The price is its biggest downfall I would suggest.  For all the good games on it - one can buy a brand new Xbox and a ton of great games for less, let alone the same price.

It's been poorly conceived and I am looking forward to their next console, whatever that is.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Russam5354

Quote from: zmaster18 on March 22, 2014, 05:47:51 pm

3) The name!!! Wii U sounds too much like the Wii! Most people didn't even know it was a different console at first! Many think it's just the gamepad by itself!

SNES sounds too much like NES, but that was not a problem.
あなたはイースターエッグを発見!
I mainly collect Gamecube (GCN) items. I collect other items too, but I'm focusing on my GCN collection currently.

zmaster18

Quote from: Russam5354 on March 23, 2014, 06:54:09 am

True, but every gamer knew the difference between the 2 because Nintendo was the boom-diggity at the time. In today's world of casual gamers and PS4/Xbox gamers, they might not know what it is.

Btw remember how cool the code name for Wii, 'Revolution', was so cool back then? They should have went for a title like that.

I also believe if the Gamepad was sold separately and a Pro controller was bundled with it, they could have just made the console a bit more powerful, and they should have made Mario 3D World as the launch title instead of yet another NSMB Wii game.

My last complaint with the system I forgot to mention, the menu music!!!! I think it's annoying! I hope a future update changes the menu entirely.  

I remember when the 3DS was in its early days and I thought it was destined to fail because it had no games for about a year. But now, the 3DS is doing great and there are a good amount of games on it. I guess we'll just have to wait. I know Mario Kart 8 and the next Smash Bros games are going to get the ball rolling!  :bomb:

JessicaWolf

Quote from: zmaster18 on March 23, 2014, 08:04:26 am
I remember when the 3DS was in its early days and I thought it was destined to fail because it had no games for about a year. But now, the 3DS is doing great and there are a good amount of games on it. I guess we'll just have to wait. I know Mario Kart 8 and the next Smash Bros games are going to get the ball rolling!  :bomb:

The only thing that really saved the 3DS was the price cut. Between 2011-09-30 and 2011-12-31, their sales jumped 125% and of course this was before they released several killer titles like Animal Crossing or Pokemon X/Y. The same thing happened on a smaller scale when they dropped the Vita from ¥24,980 to ¥19,980 in Japan. People are just not willing to pay console prices for handhelds.
Here are a few games I am looking for right now
Super Puzzle Fighter II X (Sega Saturn)
GeGeGe no Kotarou (Sega Saturn)
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (Sega Saturn)
KiKi KaiKai (PC Engine) (CIB)
Puzzle Bobble (Super Famicom) (CIB)

Russam5354

Super Mario 3D World was created one whole year after the Wii U and NSMB U were released.
あなたはイースターエッグを発見!
I mainly collect Gamecube (GCN) items. I collect other items too, but I'm focusing on my GCN collection currently.

P

Quote from: zmaster18 on March 23, 2014, 08:04:26 am
Quote from: Russam5354 on March 23, 2014, 06:54:09 am

True, but every gamer knew the difference between the 2 because Nintendo was the boom-diggity at the time. In today's world of casual gamers and PS4/Xbox gamers, they might not know what it is.

For the younger me it was clear as day that anything with "Super" in the name got to be many times better than the original. ;D

FamicomRetroGamer

My main complaints with the Wii U:

1) It's not nearly as powerful as other systems. I don't care about graphics, but loading/update times are ridiculous. It takes a good 15mins of installing updates each time I dust off the Wii U and decide to play it. It needs more than  2GB RAM!!!!

2) The games don't utilize the game pad very well. I like the pad, I just want to see why I need it for innovative gameplay.

Sure that PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are more powerful than the WU but does it necessarily mean they're better? They have better graphics but what I'm looking for in a game is replayability, content and fun which the games out for PS4/XO don't really interest me at the moment.

Slow loading times? Super Mario 3D World, Sonic Lost World, Wonderful 101, Batman Arkham City and etc all load up pretty fast on my Wii U so I was never really annoyed by what you speak of, but I do recall seeing on a retail WU demoing the game Lego City Undercover the loading time was extremely slow.

And regarding the name, if we go by the logic that they simply added another letter to NES, SNES that wasn't much of a difference but people didn't seem to care whereas now they do for some reason, still the name Wii U isn't anywhere near as bad as Xbox One which is in its third console not first.

I just hope that Microsoft doesn't names their next console as "Xbox Two". *logic crushed*

Profeta Yoshitake

IMHO, the biggest failure is that new controller.
I hate big and expensive controllers (when they are not arcade controllers).
I don't want to watch anything on the controller, I don't want to switch from TV to "tablet".
I want to play games on the TV with regular controllers that could fall to the ground without stop working, that my toddlers could bite, stomp and bump. Like those pre-N64 controllers designed by Nintendo itself.

The games aren't too attractive also... but that is not Nintendo's demerit only. This is the current norm.
Now Playing: Dragon Ball Fusions, Yggdra Union

P

Quote from: FamicomRetroGamer on March 23, 2014, 04:19:08 pm

regarding the name, if we go by the logic that they simply added another letter to NES, SNES that wasn't much of a difference but people didn't seem to care whereas now they do for some reason, still the name Wii U isn't anywhere near as bad as Xbox One which is in its third console not first.

I just hope that Microsoft doesn't names their next console as "Xbox Two". *logic crushed*

It was always advertised as Super Famicom/Nintendo everywhere it was sold and is still often called that. Of course the abbreviation just gets one more letter.
Wii U however sounds like just a slight upgrade to the Wii or a revised model, so I can see why people misunderstands things. But I see that Nintendo wanted to ride on the success of the Wii and use a name that people already know.

Xbox naming is always illogical except for the first one.

FamicomRetroGamer

Quote from: Profeta Yoshitake on March 23, 2014, 04:54:10 pm
I don't want to watch anything on the controller, I don't want to switch from TV to "tablet".
I want to play games on the TV with regular controllers that could fall to the ground without stop working, that my toddlers could bite, stomp and bump. Like those pre-N64 controllers designed by Nintendo itself.

The games aren't too attractive also... but that is not Nintendo's demerit only. This is the current norm.

Have you played Wonderful 101, Sonic Lost World, Mario 3D World, Lego City Undercover, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and others? How are these games uninteresting? :diskkun:

Profeta Yoshitake

March 24, 2014, 08:05:56 am #13 Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 12:49:01 pm by Profeta Yoshitake
Quote from: FamicomRetroGamer on March 24, 2014, 07:31:26 am
Quote from: Profeta Yoshitake on March 23, 2014, 04:54:10 pm

Have you played Wonderful 101, Sonic Lost World, Mario 3D World, Lego City Undercover, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and others? How are these games uninteresting? :diskkun:

Please, don't get me wrong, FamicomRetroGamer. My bad if it sounded that all the games are universally uninteresting. This is not the point.
The point is that the former and the current generations both did not rang the bell on me. Yet. Sadly.
It is so uninteresting to me that I did not even tried any of this games you listed.
I just skip LEGO games (I tried to like 'em, but having played Indiana Jones and Star Wars versions, it was a couple of bad experiences).
Sonic should be dead and buried a long time ago, along with Mega Man (I know those are hard and acrid statements, sorry guys  :-[).
Even Mario games, besides the high quality standard over the years is starting to loose interest from me.
You see, my opinion is biased by bad and good gaming experiences.
But again, don't get me wrong! I see some cool games like Mario 3D World, Xenoblade 2, Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101.
The biggest problem for me in the games remains being the apparent lack of novelty.
But they're not my biggest concern about the Wii U.
Now Playing: Dragon Ball Fusions, Yggdra Union

Russam5354

The only games I have so far are:
•NSMB U + NSL U
•SM3DW
•Pikmin 3
Games I want (so far):
•NES Remix
•NES Remix 2
•SSB for Wii U (SSB4)
•Dr. Luigi
•Sonic Lost World
•MK8
•eShop cards (for VC games)
•Maybe a multiplatform game. (COD, AC, etc.)
あなたはイースターエッグを発見!