Your most difficult game?

Started by zmaster18, March 28, 2014, 02:25:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightstar699

I beg to differ, that's a completely subjective personal standard. To some people, simply playing a game to the end and seeing the ending counts as it being beaten. Me, personally? I don't consider a game mastered until I can consistently 1CC it, if not no-death it... but that's just me, I wouldn't fault someone for having to use continues on a game, nor would it make their completion any less valid. It just wouldn't make it a "one-credit" completion.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

P

I consider a game beaten as long as you beat it without using any kind of cheat devices or anything. Using lives and continues are just part of the rules of the game. Using built-in cheat codes may be considered cheating as well, but it may also fix a broken game sometimes. Beating a game without using continues is just totally owning the game.

Most people have played so much Rockman so they can't be considered hard anymore. But on a relative scale they may be considered fairly hard. I don't see why Rockman 1 is harder than any other game, just because of no passwords? That only makes it require more time at hand, since you need to beat it in one sitting. It doesn't really make it harder. It's much shorter than all the other games and most bosses are easier than in later games.

I'm still amazed how action game master Nightstar still considers Rockman 2 to be hardest, which I consider the easiest. That wall laser boss is really the only hard part in that game IMHO. And it's more frustrating than hard, since if you mess up you'll have to get yourself killed one continue to restore your weapons. Rockman 7 is maybe the hardest mostly because of how much harder Dr Wily has become since all earlier games.

Ghegs

Of course it's subjective, but limiting the amount of credits used is what gives many of these games their replayability and longevity. And many games allow continuing from right where you died, so some players just creditfeed through, call the game beaten and pronounce that "these games are so easy, I beat them on my first try". If they're content with that, then that's their prerogative, but I call that playing the game wrong, plain and simple.

The concept of credits is so foreign to gamers nowadays that the whole idea of not continuing is completely alien to some, which in turn makes them judge old games with the wrong criteria. That's a damn shame. So whenever the topic arises, I make it a point to promote the 1CC philosophy.

P

Yeah I guess you can't call a game easy if you keep exploiting continues all the time. Dying a life is more ok because it usually means you haven't lost yet, but using a continue is like admitting defeat and then trying again.

I see that you think the wall beam boss in Rockman 2 is hard in this way, because you are forced to use at least one continue if you either mess up or arrive at it without enough weapon energy.

Nightstar699

April 18, 2014, 01:04:08 am #19 Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 01:10:11 am by Nightstar699
I think there's a fine line between credit-feeding and simply continuing within reason. When I think of credit-feeding, I think of someone with little to no understanding of how to play, and continuing until they eventually get lucky enough times to finish a game. That's a very poor way to play, but everyone has to start somewhere. For a personal example, the first time I beat Bucky O' Hare, I continued like a mad man. Then, by replaying it time and time again, I reached the point where I could beat it without continuing... and then without picking up extra lives, and so on. For games with a heavy emphasis on trial-and-error, credit-feeding is what I'd consider "for practice", y'know, just to memorize the game and learn it a bit more... I certainly wouldn't be satisfied with it, nor would I consider it a victory, but it's a start.

On the other hand, if someone makes a few mistakes along the way and has to use a continue, eh, I still see it as a legitimate victory so long as they still demonstrate knowledge of the game, and are willing to improve further. I guess ultimately one's personal standard for what qualifies as a "victory" lies in their skill level.

Finally, I'd never label a game as being "easy" if I can't beat it on one life consistently. I love when people label Guevara as an easy game, simply because you can infinitely continue from where you left off. In that case, they should try limiting themselves to however many credits they'd spend on it at an arcade. I guarantee for most people, it'd become a whole lot less easy.

Quote from: P on April 17, 2014, 01:51:08 am
I consider a game beaten as long as you beat it without using any kind of cheat devices or anything. Using lives and continues are just part of the rules of the game. Using built-in cheat codes may be considered cheating as well, but it may also fix a broken game sometimes. Beating a game without using continues is just totally owning the game.

Most people have played so much Rockman so they can't be considered hard anymore. But on a relative scale they may be considered fairly hard. I don't see why Rockman 1 is harder than any other game, just because of no passwords? That only makes it require more time at hand, since you need to beat it in one sitting. It doesn't really make it harder. It's much shorter than all the other games and most bosses are easier than in later games.

I'm still amazed how action game master Nightstar still considers Rockman 2 to be hardest, which I consider the easiest. That wall laser boss is really the only hard part in that game IMHO. And it's more frustrating than hard, since if you mess up you'll have to get yourself killed one continue to restore your weapons. Rockman 7 is maybe the hardest mostly because of how much harder Dr Wily has become since all earlier games.

Would you believe I've never played Rockman 7 to this day? It sickens me as a huge Rockman fan. I look forward to the time comes where I do battle with the new and improved "difficult" Wily. Because he sure was a pushover in the first 6... although I've been enjoying X4 a lot lately, and Sigma certainly isn't a joke, there.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

P

The first time I played that Dry Wily I thought he was near impossible to beat, and used continues like there's no tomorrow. Nowdays I think he is a very enjoyable boss, and it gives you a rush to fight and successfully beat him. Even if you remember his pattern by heart, it takes very exact timing and speed of jumps and slides to dodge his beams.

Dr Wily in both Rockman 7 and 8 reminds more of Sigma than previous Dr Wilies in terms of shear difficulty.

Nightstar699

That sounds like my type of boss battle... and why do so many people shit on Rockman 7, again? It looks and sounds amazing from the footage I viewed. Could the increased difficulty be looked at as unappealing to some?

o.pwuaioc

Rockman 7 is this weird in-between Rockman and Rockman X graphically. I'm sure that's part of the problem. It looks unappealing.

P

When it was released, everyone had eyes on Rockman X2, so it didn't get as much attention as it could have. I was also slightly disappointed when I played it the first time, probably because it felt like a step backward (sliding instead of dashing like in the X series etc).

Now I don't see why I had reason to be disappointed anymore. It's a great game, visually it's beautiful with lots of sparkling colours and musically it's on par with most other Rockman games.