Show off your fds games ported to carts

Started by BonBon, April 24, 2014, 07:37:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BonBon

April 24, 2014, 07:37:53 pm Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 12:18:23 pm by Jay-ray
Post pics of your fds ports here. Here is pics of my collection. I use to have a copy of pro wrestling but traded it.

fcgamer

Very nice collection!  Good post, I think it will get quite interesting.  I need to take some pictures of mine and post here as well.  :)
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

Silius

I'd love carts of Nazo No Murasamejou and Falsion! Has anyone ever seen those?

fcgamer

Right now, I have these:

I also have that same Bubble Bobble and Green Beret, as well as Doki Doki Panic, but I forgot to take pictures of all three of them  :o

Falsion I used to own, but sold it back when I was young and stupid (actually back before I decided to collect the FDS port games).  I have another copy coming my way, though it looks to be of a lesser quality than the one I used to have, and either way, it still hasn't arrived yet.

wholesalewatch648

I am a big Nintendo fan! especially GameBoy, N64, SFC, GC. And of course Mario games
I collect SFC/N64 mainly. Some rare famicom stuff too. Also miscellaneous video game stuff.

BonBon

Very nice collection Fcgamer I'd like to pick up a copy of Ai Senshi Nicol and Nazo no Murasame someday.

NintendoKing

All Night Nippon: Super Mario Bros.
I used to have a second copy (sold) as well as SMB 2J (stopped working).

Profeta Yoshitake

My Arumana no Kiseki on cassette never worked well.
The scrolling was ever bugged.
Your Arumana cassettes are playable?

Quote from: The Uninvited Gremlin on April 26, 2014, 12:31:52 pm
All Night Nippon: Super Mario Bros.
I used to have a second copy (sold) as well as SMB 2J (stopped working).

Wow! I think they are great finds!
Now Playing: Dragon Ball Fusions, Yggdra Union

fcgamer

Quote from: Profeta Yoshitake on May 08, 2014, 07:24:49 am
My Arumana no Kiseki on cassette never worked well.
The scrolling was ever bugged.
Your Arumana cassettes are playable?

Mine seems playable, but I seem to be stupid enough to be unable to figure out how to use the whip or whatever it is well enough to make it through the second room :(  But iirc I had this problem on both the pirate port and the official disk.

BonBon

June 24, 2015, 06:16:37 pm #9 Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 07:37:37 pm by Jay-ray
Update and current collection. I'm curious to find out if any active members have as big as a collection as me. if so please post pics some we can compare carts.

fcgamer

June 25, 2015, 03:41:39 am #10 Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 04:21:01 am by fcgamer
Here's what I have at the moment:

A note on the games separated to the right:

One is Mario Party, I just keep this with my other Mario games and don't really consider it a part of this collection; however I decided to dig it out for the photo shoot and include it with the others for this pic, since Jay-ray did that in the pics in his initial post.  Likewise, the other Mario cart seen there contains both Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 2.  The neat thing about that cart is that the original game has 2's graphics, and 2's game has the original graphics.  Once again, I don't really count it as part of the set, but just threw it in the pic anyways.

Section Z:  A few weeks back I asked the difference between the US and FDS version of this game, because I was trying to see if this cart is the US version or a port of the FDS version.  Since I haven't really played the game much, and there are not large differences between the two versions, I am not sure which version I have.  If I were to hazard a guess, I would say it is just the USA version, but I will try to investigate further tonight, by checking out the STS text that UglyJoe mentioned.

Likewise, I wonder if there is a true FDS port version of Karate Champ on Famicom cart.  It has been said to exist for years and years, but the version I personally own (and all versions I have seen) are just actually ports of the USA version of the game.  Like Section Z mentioned above, the differences between the two versions are so small, it doesn't really matter much anyway, but I am just throwing this out there for the nitpicky collectors like myself.

Post Merge: June 25, 2015, 03:42:53 am

Also, I am sorry for the crappy pic.  Somehow I lost my camera battery charger a few weeks back, and haven't been able to find it thus far.  It is probably time to get a new camera anyway I guess.

Post Merge: June 25, 2015, 03:47:15 am

And another note:  Gun.smoke, I think it falls into the same category as Karate Champ, or perhaps Section Z.  The FDS and USA versions of the game seem to be the same, from what I can tell, with just some very very minor differences.  From what I have seen, it seems that the Gun.smoke carts I have seen contain the USA version of the game, though I am not 100% certain of it.  Likewise, a FDS port of this game has been suggested to exist for years and years now, but I personally suspect it is just the USA version that exists, and due to such minor changes, no one really noticed otherwise.  Or maybe both versions exist, as they do with many of the games (WW Manu making both Green Beret and Rush n Attack, Gradius and Salamander, etc)

Post Merge: June 25, 2015, 04:21:00 am

And yet another comment:  Section Z seems to be the USA version, the game lists "Continue" and "Retry" when you get game over, no save choice.  I originally thought that maybe this was just done since the FDS port would likely be hacked to remove the save feature, but my Castlevania 2 FDS port includes the save option intact (it may just be a dummy, not sure if it works or not, but it is there) so therefore I suspect Section Z is just NES port.  But as mentioned earlier, with this particular game it seems like it's just splitting hairs.

BonBon

June 25, 2015, 04:53:53 am #11 Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 05:00:30 am by Jay-ray
Great notes. Thanks for the reply good friend. So here is my personal opinion. I'm a firm believer that these games as listed; gum.smoke, karate champ, section z, and legendary wings have never been ported to pirate carts. There are just the Nes versions on a pirate famicom cart. Now I'd like to 100% confirm that both the American and FDS ports of certain carts have went  through my hands. I've seen green berat and rush n attack,  double dribble and exciting basket ball, jackel and akai yousai. These carts  can look identical but you have to pop them in to find out if it's the  American version or an fds port.

fcgamer

Quote from: Jay-ray on June 25, 2015, 04:53:53 am
Great notes. Thanks for the reply good friend. So here is my personal opinion. I'm a firm believer that these games as listed; gum.smoke, karate champ, section z, and legendary wings have never been ported to pirate carts. There are just the Nes versions on a pirate famicom cart. Now I'd like to 100% confirm that both the American and FDS ports of certain carts have went  through my hands. I've seen green berat and rush n attack,  double dribble and exciting basket ball, jackel and akai yousai. These carts  can look identical but you have to pop them in to find out if it's the  American version or an fds port.

Yes, good additions with Jackal and Akai Yousai.  I remember those existing in both American and FDS port versions.

Kid Icarus might be another one in the both category.  I saw the FDS port version, but here it seems that an American version is floating around too.  In this day and age it becomes a bit tricky too, since we have to always be careful as to whether it was really made back then or just some AliExpress "repro", but I think the American Kid Icarus was legit.

I also own Double Dribble and Exciting Basketball, both versions.  Like you said, cases are the same, but the insides are different.  A common thing with WW Manu carts.

Post Merge: June 25, 2015, 05:24:32 am

WIth Legendary Wings, it is the USA version.  The title screen is hacked though, and gives credit to Taiwan and the guy that worked with Hwang Shinwei on some games.

BonBon

Honestly I'm beating my head against the wall looking for an fds port of kid Icarus, right now Ive only one lead and it's been like pulling teeth to get an answer out of this guy. But to note on this I feel like for the most part we as collectors can tell the difference between a legitimate pirate cart and some trash New Age aliexpress repro.

fcgamer

Quote from: Jay-ray on June 25, 2015, 05:33:26 am
Honestly I'm beating my head against the wall looking for an fds port of kid Icarus, right now Ive only one lead and it's been like pulling teeth to get an answer out of this guy. But to note on this I feel like for the most part we as collectors can tell the difference between a legitimate pirate cart and some trash New Age aliexpress repro.

Yeah I think we as collectors can tell the difference as well, but I think some of the telling factors are much easier to see in person than just from a few online pics, sadly.

Regarding Section Z, I just confirmed that my version is the USA version.  Secret room text is in English.  Really makes me wonder if there is a true FDS port version out there, but I suspect maybe not