April 20, 2024, 03:23:09 am

Video game bucket list

Started by BonBon, April 24, 2014, 10:55:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BonBon

Number one on my list is beating Mike Tyson.

FamicomRetroGamer

Complete the Subspace Adventure Mode 100% of Smash Bros. Brawl and then move to Melee!

L___E___T

Currently, it's probably Dark Souls 1 and 2.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

FamicomRetroGamer

Quote from: L___E___T on April 25, 2014, 11:53:48 am
Currently, it's probably Dark Souls 1 and 2.

I've been reading a lot of feedback from Dark Souls but is it that good and scary? In a nutshell how'd you describe it?

I don't want to believe the hype to then be disappointed.

L___E___T

I would describe it pretty much as a current-gen Castlevania, a good one.

By that, I mean forget the direction Konami went with after Symphony of the Night and forget the Mercury Steam games, rather, imagine what a modern Castlevania would be like based on the action of the Famicom games and the exploration of SOTN.  It has both paced action and explorational RPG gameplay in good measure.

If you've not played any Souls games before - start with Dark Souls 2, it's not easier, but it's a lot more accessible.  I would also recommend playing through and beating Castlevania 1 on NES / Famicom if you have not already.  
When you are able to learn how to beat it, you'll be able to take on anything in Dark Souls 2 for sure.  

The Souls games are only hard compared to modern easy games, but not compared to older harder games.  Dark Souls 1 is very unforgiving though and at times feels very unfair - so skip it and start with 2, there's no real story continuation or anything to worry about.

So, I guess that's my rundown.  I find them DS2 rewarding and frustrating in equal measure - I keep coming back for more even when I get stuck and the elation when you overcome a difficult part or a particularly nasty boss is amazing.

I know what it's like when someone really hypes a game and it just doesn't come across when you play it though - I think Dark Souls 1 is very much like that, but I've yet to find someone that didn't like Dark Souls 2.  It might take a little while to get used to, but after a couple bonfires you'll be fine.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Russam5354

Complete SMB1 blindfolded. It'll take a few years, but I'll do it.
あなたはイースターエッグを発見!
I mainly collect Gamecube (GCN) items. I collect other items too, but I'm focusing on my GCN collection currently.

nerdynebraskan

Good luck, Jay-ray. I needed a ton of practice to beat Iron Mike, too. I was able to flawlessly TKO Super Macho Man in the first round before I beat Iron Mike, but I now do it regularly so it can be done. The funny thing was the first time I beat him, it was possibly the best effort I ever had as I TKOed him in the second round. I got lucky enough to land both one-hit knockdowns when he blinks rapidly to telegraph a Piston-Punch; the timing there is so tough that it's hard for me to get either of them in any given match.

When it came to Tyson, I got to a point where I actually dodged his punches too early. I'd bounce back to the center of the ring post-dodge, just in time to get hit with one of his dynamite punches. So I really needed to calm down, and not try to dodge him until he started to throw his punch. I also found it helped my speed considerably to kind of cancel my dodges early; if you dodge left, I think you can start back early if you tap right. (And vice versa, of course.) That gave me the boost I needed to more effectively counter-punch him once I was actually good enough to evade him consistently.

As for my bucket list? Hmm... I suppose I'd love to beat all of my NES and FC games at least once, and I've probably only conquered about 20% of them. It'd also be nice to play through the whole Final Fantasy series through X-2.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

BonBon

Thank you for the tips nerdynebraskan I will apply them to my strategy.

Russam5354

April 26, 2014, 12:49:30 pm #8 Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 01:09:20 pm by Russam5354
Quote from: nerdynebraskan on April 26, 2014, 08:21:25 am
As for my bucket list? Hmm... I suppose I'd love to beat all of my NES and FC games at least once, and I've probably only conquered about 20% of them.

It'll take longer to do that than to beat SMB1 blindfolded.
Edit: I forgot you said "all of my NES and FC games..."
あなたはイースターエッグを発見!
I mainly collect Gamecube (GCN) items. I collect other items too, but I'm focusing on my GCN collection currently.

nerdynebraskan

I guess it'll depend on how hard you work on memorizing SMB, but I do have about 400 NES/FC games that I've not yet beaten. (And that number is still increasing.)
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

security16

I want to find all the goat trophies in the goat simulator. I want to finish skyrim, I want to finish the legend of zelda, I want to catch all of the pokemon!

FamicomRetroGamer

I completed Brawl before yesterday but to be honest that ending was a bit disappointing, sure the final boss was somewhat of a challenge to defeat however rewarding Sonic as a playable character was a bad idea. As much as I love Sonic games it doesn't feel right for Sonic to be in Super Smash Bros. because he's not a fighting type (regardless of the Sonic the Fighters game which made better use of him).

Sonic's going to be in Smash 4 but I don't care, I wanna play as Mega Man from then on!

Mario, Pit, Link, Fox and Snake were my picks for Brawl.
Mega Man, Pit, Link and Mario/Fox for Smash 4!

BonBon

November 28, 2017, 04:46:39 am #12 Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 07:03:22 am by Jay-ray
It's over after 28 years the deed has been done. Tonight iron mike kissed the mat. I finally beat Mike Tyson. Knocked off my number 1 video game bucket list goal. Took me about 2 1/2 hours of practice but I did it. The first time I won it was by decision. I was really disappointed. So I kept trying until I finally got a TKO in the third. I can finally die a happy man. As soon as I learned how to quick dodge I knew it was over for kid dynamite. I've watched tons of tutorials on how to beat iron mike but it's never explained properly. ***To do a successful quick dodge all you do is as soon as you see him flash or wink literally just tap left/right then Immediately hold up and start to throw your punches**** it's truly not an easy technique to put into words. It's one of those things that's self taught after tons of trial and error and practice. The thing is you don't ever have to use this technique with the first 13 fighters. Naturally you just hold left/right till little Mac descends back to the middle of the screen then start throwing blows. So throw everything out the window you learned from the 1st 13 fights because it doesn't matter anymore. you've to Completely rework your style of fighting for the dream bout.

Ghegs

NintendoKing

Quote from: Russam5354 on April 26, 2014, 07:44:22 am
Complete SMB1 blindfolded. It'll take a few years, but I'll do it.

You will have to go level by level learning count time based on sounds, probably the music will end up being your metronome for jumping and running.