Unreleased in Japan: a list of non-Japanese Nintendo 8-bit exclusives

Started by Dire 51, May 05, 2014, 09:25:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

P

We would have to draw a line somewhere. One can always argue that Mario Bros Classic is an FDS port with removed menus and stuff, since it has the same engine and graphics as Kaette Kita Mario Bros. And then you would have to defend why other games with major regional differences doesn't count and so on as Ghegs said. Mario Bros Classic might be a special case though.

Look in the list of lists sticky on the main board. There you can find a list of changes between regional versions, a list of Japanese made games that's NES exclusive and other such lists.

Quote from: Dire 51 on May 06, 2014, 07:55:57 am
Quote from: P on May 06, 2014, 02:25:56 am
Nice list. There's a similar list http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=6665.0 but yours is actually unique. I think you could have put it on the Famicom board though.

Thanks! I figured this would be the best place for it, since it was more NES related than Famicom. But if a moderator would like to shift it over there, they should.

Maybe but I think NES discussions usually goes on the Famicom board. This is Famicom World but I don't really see the need to separate two almost identical systems with different pin configurations.

Dire 51

Quote from: Ghegs on May 06, 2014, 12:46:28 pm
Wow, nice job, that's a lot more games than I thought there would be. Still, I feel the Famicom dodged a bullet by not getting The Simpsons games and the GameTek releases...

Agreed 100%

Quote from: Ghegs on May 06, 2014, 12:46:28 pmYeah, that's a quick and short path to simply listing all the games that have some differences between JPN and US releases. "Akumajo Densetsu was never released in US! Castlevania 3 is technically a localization, but it lacks the sound chip and some graphics were altered to cover boobs and Grant DaNasty was made worse and..."

Related to that, there are some games in the list I don't quite think should be there. Like Hebereke/Uforia which is exactly the same game, just different sprites for two of the four main characters. Or any other game where the differences are only cosmetic. The gameplay's still the same there (I'm completely ignoring story here, I don't think that's particularly relevant). Looking at gameplay only, Power Blade is easily different enough from Power Blazer to warrant a spot on the list, while Shatterhand/Solbrain is still mostly the same other than one stage being completely different, so that one might deserve just a special mention or something?

But that's just my opinion, it's not my list. :) It's still a good source of information the way it is, since such releases are clearly marked.

Its something I've considered revising, based on additional information I receive. Just to use your examples, I've yet to play Hebereke, Ufouria or Solbrain, so I was just going off of what other people had told me.

Quote from: P on May 06, 2014, 01:58:22 pm
We would have to draw a line somewhere. One can always argue that Mario Bros Classic is an FDS port with removed menus and stuff, since it has the same engine and graphics as Kaette Kita Mario Bros. And then you would have to defend why other games with major regional differences doesn't count and so on as Ghegs said. Mario Bros Classic might be a special case though.

Look in the list of lists sticky on the main board. There you can find a list of changes between regional versions, a list of Japanese made games that's NES exclusive and other such lists.

Good idea. This is a work in progress, so changes can still be made.

Quote from: P on May 06, 2014, 01:58:22 pmMaybe but I think NES discussions usually goes on the Famicom board. This is Famicom World but I don't really see the need to separate two almost identical systems with different pin configurations.

Good point, so if a mod wants to shift this thread over there, they should.

P

Quote from: Dire 51 on May 07, 2014, 12:33:09 pm
Quote from: P on May 06, 2014, 01:58:22 pmMaybe but I think NES discussions usually goes on the Famicom board. This is Famicom World but I don't really see the need to separate two almost identical systems with different pin configurations.

Good point, so if a mod wants to shift this thread over there, they should.

Ah I just noticed that the "Finds (NES)" thread is in this sub-forum.

fcgamer

I think this is an interesting list, and a useful one at that (which I often reference).  Bumping it up for people to enjoy :)
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

HVC-Man

Quote from: Dire 51 on May 05, 2014, 09:25:17 pm
Maniac Mansion (NES version developed by Realtime Associates and is different from the Jaleco-developed Famicom game)

I thought NES Maniac Mansion was developed by LucasFilm Games as an in-house port. Tim Schafer was originally hired on at LucasFilm Games to work on NES Maniac Mansion.

UglyJoe

Quote from: HVC-Man on August 27, 2015, 04:39:09 pm
Quote from: Dire 51 on May 05, 2014, 09:25:17 pm
Maniac Mansion (NES version developed by Realtime Associates and is different from the Jaleco-developed Famicom game)

I thought NES Maniac Mansion was developed by LucasFilm Games as an in-house port. Tim Schafer was originally hired on at LucasFilm Games to work on NES Maniac Mansion.

http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php/Realtime_Associates

Lucasfilm Games was the primary developer, but Realtime Associates assisted and also did the sound / music.  (They also did the music for Caesar's Palace, which finally explains to me why the music between the two games sound so similar!).

Dire 51

Good call. I'll go edit the list to account for both companies working on it.

And fcgamer, thanks for the bump!

fcgamer

Bumping this one up again, one of my favorite threads that always gets buried.

P

This thread should be in the stickied list of lists thread.

And I still think separating 60-pin and 72-pin systems in different forum sections is weird. It's just different regional versions of the same system.
Other Gaming should be exclusive to discussions of all non-Famicom/NES/Famiclone game systems IMHO...

fcgamer

Quote from: P on March 17, 2017, 06:52:55 am
This thread should be in the stickied list of lists thread.

And I still think separating 60-pin and 72-pin systems in different forum sections is weird. It's just different regional versions of the same system.
Other Gaming should be exclusive to discussions of all non-Famicom/NES/Famiclone game systems IMHO...

I feel the same on both issues.

I personally always reference this particular thread since a lot of these games had been pirated in the early / mid 90s and sold in Pegasus / Dendy regions as 60 pin carts, and every month or two I find one or two more that had been pirated as such.  Ultimately, it wouldn't surprise me if all (sans things like SMB/DH, NWC, etc) had been copied at some point.