Famicom disk system on PAL NES?

Started by Mudk112, May 15, 2014, 12:13:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tonev

It was the disk system version and it was on a PAL nes. The disk system booted fine (yes it was running slow) but the game loaded with no problems i will check later today with other disk system games if they load or they crash. I have a pal nes game that simply does not run on my ntsc nes. it boots but everything that is on the screen is just garbage pixels and nothing more. You can hear the music an interact with the MC (Main character) but the game is unplayable.
I am back everyone :)

ImATrackMan

Quote from: HVC-Man on August 31, 2015, 02:25:43 pmThe PAL NES "expansion" port was for AV output. FDS doesn't work on the PAL NES because the 2A03 code is simply incompatible. Code written for 60hz either barely works or flat out doesn't work at 50hz.

The only option is an NTSC NES / Famicom and realize that PAL sucks.

I don't understand what you mean by "The PAL NES 'expansion' port was for AV output". The NTSC and PAL NES use exactly the same board and parts with the only differences being the crystal and CPU/PPU, so the traces on the board still go the the same places. Also, there's no "2A03 code" as the 2A03 and 2A07 are just 6502s running at different internally divided speeds. The fact that the FDS boots fine and the BIOS runs unhindered is proof in itself that the FDS is compatible with the PAL NES, just that most games for it aren't. The only times when 60 and 50hz are incompatible with the NES is when timing-based "features" are used, like loading CHR in a longer vertical blank, generating IRQs, reading from the controller port addresses at specific points, etc.