Non gaming related hobbies.

Started by security16, June 26, 2014, 03:58:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fcgamer

Quote from: senseiman on July 09, 2014, 05:25:54 am
Quote from: security16 on July 06, 2014, 03:08:29 am
Very nice :D I wish I had more time and space for my trains they have been neglected :(

Thanks  ;D  I know what you mean, I actually just got back into trains for the first time in years.  Lack of space (and time) sucks!

You are quite right, lack in time and space really sucks.  I like model railroads, though I don't personally have any.  My dad had an HO railroad when I was growing up, and my grandpa apparently had one as well (not HO, I think O scale) but I honestly don't remember ever seeing it in its full glory...just packed away in the basement, after my grandfather died.  My brother now has a model railroad (N scale I think), but he doesn't do much with it. Really cool stuff, it is always nice to have some hobbies.  I feel bad for those without hobbies. 
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

senseiman

Quote from: fcgamer on July 09, 2014, 12:03:30 pm
Quote from: senseiman on July 09, 2014, 05:25:54 am
Quote from: security16 on July 06, 2014, 03:08:29 am
Very nice :D I wish I had more time and space for my trains they have been neglected :(

Thanks  ;D  I know what you mean, I actually just got back into trains for the first time in years.  Lack of space (and time) sucks!

You are quite right, lack in time and space really sucks.  I like model railroads, though I don't personally have any.  My dad had an HO railroad when I was growing up, and my grandpa apparently had one as well (not HO, I think O scale) but I honestly don't remember ever seeing it in its full glory...just packed away in the basement, after my grandfather died.  My brother now has a model railroad (N scale I think), but he doesn't do much with it. Really cool stuff, it is always nice to have some hobbies.  I feel bad for those without hobbies. 

Yeah, that is sort of what happened with me.  As a kid my Dad built an N-guage model railroad and I helped him out and played with it a lot, it was a lot of fun.  It got packed away almost 20 years ago when my parents moved and was sitting in storage until about 2 years ago when my dad hauled it out and started rebuilding it in his garage (after 20 years it was in pretty bad shape). 

That sort of inspired me to start up my own railroad so we could share the hobby again.  We live thousands of miles apart so I don`t get to see him as much as I`d like, but we`re always talking about our trains on Skype and sending each other things that we need for our layouts.  Its a good father-son bonding activity, even if you live in different continents!

security16

I get weird looks from people when I lose my shit over their model railways (I get excited and make noises that you usually hear from fangirls in proximity to their idols) I don't know if it's the fact i'm a chick that likes trains (I like all trains  ;D) Or my slight over reaction to them. I really want to learn how to do electronics but alas my attempts at teaching myself have landed in fail.
Most of my skill related hobbies like sewing and sculpting are all self taught mainly because I really suck at learning the way other people do

senseiman

Quote from: security16 on July 10, 2014, 07:37:51 pm
I get weird looks from people when I lose my shit over their model railways (I get excited and make noises that you usually hear from fangirls in proximity to their idols) I don't know if it's the fact i'm a chick that likes trains (I like all trains  ;D) Or my slight over reaction to them. I really want to learn how to do electronics but alas my attempts at teaching myself have landed in fail.
Most of my skill related hobbies like sewing and sculpting are all self taught mainly because I really suck at learning the way other people do

I always over-react wtih excitement around model railways too.  I went to a train shop once with my wife and she described my reaction as being that of a 7 year old, which is probably about right.