April 20, 2024, 07:13:11 am

How do you collect?

Started by Shumi Nagaremono, July 08, 2014, 06:42:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

L___E___T

Haha this thread title just took on a whole new meaning pretty quick.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Bob-Bob

Hitting on them straight-up isn't going to work. In Japanese society, only delinquents take the direct approach. Otherwise you're expected to shy and indirect.  ;)

zmaster18

I collect purely from buying the games off ebay, since I'm in Canada :P I don't need any boxes or instructions, just the cart. However, I prefer a case and art insert for collecting FDS games!

As for the other topic being discussed in this thread, I agree that visiting Japan can be life-changing. I don't think I would actually consider living there unless I was rich, because you literally work 24/7 in Japan. I couldn't imagine working 12hour days 6 days a week so I can just get by... I also don't really like the lack of personality and individualism in people in Japan that we Canadians, and Americans, really value. Although Japan seems like such a nice paradise, I think being a citizen could be really stressful. But that's what you get in return for a society that is polite, structured, has low-crime, and full of rewards like all the nerdy/fascinating/weird/girly/crazy/silly stuff that we find so cool.

I also find the cannabis laws to be overly inhumane in Asia, especially Singapore(death penalty for 30g+ of cannabis, life in jail for any amount).
Japan just has 5 years in prison, but still. Ridiculous for a culture that has an ancient history of cannabis usage. Another dumb law you may know about is that Japanese women are required to wear a bra by law indoors if there is air conditioning. Exposing nipples through your shirt is illegal, only for women though.

Shumi Nagaremono

I think that some of the thoughts on Japan in this thread are a bit outdated. 

Bob-Bob

Shumi Nagaremono

July 18, 2014, 09:31:26 pm #35 Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:29:25 pm by Shumi Nagaremono
Sure!  :)

Nobody here works 24/7.  Sure, plenty of people work longer than the US standard 8 hour day, but they're usually compensated for it.  People also get more paid holidays and other benefits.  

I don't know where this "no individualism" thing comes from.  Other than the ethnic makeup of the country, people here are no more or less "individuals" than people from any other country.  

There are *very* few people who work twelve hours per day, six days a week "just to get by".  The people who *do* work that much usually do *quite* well, financially.  

The drug laws (not just for pot, but across the board) are pretty strict, but not nearly as strict as people seem to think.  I knew a guy who got busted for meth three times before he finally got put in jail (for a year).  

That "women must wear bras" law *is* a real thing.  And it is immensely stupid AND sexist as hell.   But it's one of those archaic laws like "no throwing snowballs at trees in Wisconsin" type things.  It's not enforced in any meaningful way.    

[/quote]

P

About the individualism thing, I think Japan do have a bit stronger collectivism than your average western European country (and that's not a bad thing IMHO), it's a bit of how European countries used to be in that regard. But I don't agree that the Japanese lacks personality at all (on the contrary). In a society with strong individualism you are supposed to boast and stick out which is something I rather be without.
Of course there are backsides of strong collectivism as well, like if you are living in a way that's too different from the norm it seems to be harder for you than compared to living that way in a society with weaker collectivism.

I only lived in Japan for half a year but that's my impression of it anyway.

Regarding bras I don't see how that law is any different from any other countries laws. Even men can be arrested for "offensive behaviour" for going topless in town or other place where it's considered inappropriate (i.e not a beach or similar) in about any country. It has nothing to do with sexism or anything, it's just about not bothering your peers (in other words, not being an ass).

Quote from: L___E___T on July 18, 2014, 11:25:48 am
Haha this thread title just took on a whole new meaning pretty quick.

Hahaha