Help Info Making Repro??

Started by Bluecowbowling, July 17, 2014, 05:03:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluecowbowling

Just wondering if it would be possible to say... desolder  chips out of a NES game PCB and Solder them back into a Famicom game PCB?? I have several  NES games just PCB's laying around I would love to try this with if its possible.

infiniteNOP

It might not be a good idea to do that, for two reasons: First of all, the pinout of the EEPROM might be different, leading to your EPROMS getting fried. Additionally,  even if the pinout is the same,, your NES PCBs might be using different mapers than the Famicom PCBs, leading to the game being unplayable. So, do some research first, and if you want to play famicom games on the NES, consider buying an adapter.
Previously known as linuxlalala

aha2940

Quote from: linuxlalala on July 19, 2014, 09:09:04 am
It might not be a good idea to do that, for two reasons: First of all, the pinout of the EEPROM might be different, leading to your EPROMS getting fried. Additionally,  even if the pinout is the same,, your NES PCBs might be using different mapers than the Famicom PCBs, leading to the game being unplayable. So, do some research first, and if you want to play famicom games on the NES, consider buying an adapter.

AFAIK, no original NES or famicom cart should contain EPROMs or EEPROMs. All should contain silscreened chips.

Regarding the original issue: get the pinout of the NES chips and the try to find if they match the famicom ones. If they do, it's possible that they work.

Regards.

GohanX

This will work ONLY if both the nes and Fami carts use the same type of mapper and board.

Bluecowbowling

Cool thanks for the fast replies guys. Yeah I am trying to swap out Zelda 2 NES chips into a famicom cart.
Looks like final fantasy or zelda 1 famicom cart might work but I am researching whats gonna work for sure right now.
I know every ones wondering why would I ruin a zelda 2 cart and the reason being is the actual zelda 2 cart is all broken but the PCB is in good working order and I make very very good reproduction labels and always wanted a zelda 2 for famicom on a cart which was never released. so if anyone might know which PCB would work for sure please chime in and let me know.it'll save me the time and hassle and there may be a free repro or game of my choice in it for someone.
Thanks again all..