Does anyone know why Super Mario Collection in my SNES results in this?

Started by tappybot, July 23, 2014, 02:32:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tappybot

edit:  Problem solved. Not really sure why it happened, but a second good cleaning to the game and system did the trick.

I picked this cart up in Japan and played it many times.

A while back, I modded the SNES to accept Super Famicom carts simply by filing down the tabs.
I did this mainly so I could pack the Super Famicom away to make some space.

I suppose this is the first time I've played the cart in the SNES system instead of the Super Famicom, but anyway, here's the result:

I looked this up and found this:

QuoteAs a means of copy protection, all versions of Super Mario All-Stars perform a check to see how much SRAM is present: the game writes a value to $702000, then compares it with the value at $700000. If the values match (due to address mirroring), it means 8 KB of SRAM is present and the cart is likely genuine, but if the values are different, it means more than 8 KB of SRAM is present and the game is likely running on a copier. If the latter scenario occurs, the game stops and throws up a warning message.
The message text differs between versions, but the location of the routine is the same

Can anyone explain why the system itself would effect this?

JessicaWolf

Have you made sure all the SNES tabs were ground down totally and that no plastic bits got in the way of any pins? My friend had the same thing happen with her copy of Super Metroid for the SFC.
Here are a few games I am looking for right now
Super Puzzle Fighter II X (Sega Saturn)
GeGeGe no Kotarou (Sega Saturn)
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (Sega Saturn)
KiKi KaiKai (PC Engine) (CIB)
Puzzle Bobble (Super Famicom) (CIB)

tappybot

I was very particular about getting all the plastic off I could. I don't think you can even tell there's anything there.

It plays Japanese Super Mario Kart and Yoshi's Island just fine.

Maybe I'll give Super Metroid a try too..

P

AFAIK there should be no interior differences between an American SNES and a Super Famicom, so it must be something weird that triggers the copy protection. Just to rule out the cart, are you sure the cart still works in your Super Famicom?

Also "Sometimes, very rarely, old Super NES games accidentally show piracy warnings at boot-up, usually you can just reset the game and they'll work fine after that.".

JessicaWolf

Well more what I was getting at was that something was causing problems with the pin making good, clean contact with the connector. I assume you have cleaned this cartridge and such?
Here are a few games I am looking for right now
Super Puzzle Fighter II X (Sega Saturn)
GeGeGe no Kotarou (Sega Saturn)
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (Sega Saturn)
KiKi KaiKai (PC Engine) (CIB)
Puzzle Bobble (Super Famicom) (CIB)

tappybot

Quote from: JessicaWolf on July 23, 2014, 06:35:11 pm
Well more what I was getting at was that something was causing problems with the pin making good, clean contact with the connector. I assume you have cleaned this cartridge and such?

Alrighty, although I had a hard time getting any visible dirt of the contacts I gave it a tough cleaning, popped it in, and it worked!

Perhaps I ought to give the system contacts a nice cleaning too.. not sure when the last time that was.

Thanks!

L___E___T

Are the insides of a US SNES really the same as a JP SFC?

In other words, could I mod a US SNES Mini and case swap it with a a JP SFC Jr?
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

VegaVegas

Are you sure the on-board battery isn't dead?? I had a similar problem (I got a non-region compatibility thing screen to be exact) in my Donkey Kong Country 2 cart due to weak battery on the board and everything was fixed after I replaced it into a new one

tappybot

Maybe it was a weak battery, or maybe an odd speck of dust would be enough to set off a game with sensitive protection like that.

I was wondering about the innards of the systems being different too. Don't know.

P

Quote from: L___E___T on July 27, 2014, 01:29:28 pm

I don't really know, but there's nothing that stops the games from working besides the cart shape so I assume they work the same way, some games like Super Metroid are identical for US SNES and SFC besides the cart shell (at least the ROM inside is identical).

I just remembered, doesn't the US SNES come with an AC-AC adapter (like the NES)? In that case there must at least be an internal AC-DC converter in the US SNES. I'm pretty sure PAL SNES also has this. The Super Famicom doesn't have this and therefore needs an AC-DC adapter. Anyway as long as you use an AC-DC (can be used on SNES too) it's not a problem.

Pikkon

Quote from: L___E___T on July 27, 2014, 01:29:28 pm

Yes,there are same on the inside,you can swap them out very easy.

The only difference is the ac port on the back but they take the same dc voltage.

And no,the snes takes DC just like the super fami,on a pal snes there is a bridge rectifier,that's why it can take AC or DC.

fcgamer

Has anyone ever seen a similar message to this, only with a Famicom game?  I saw the message like the one the OP posted once, with a dirty SNES game.  Recently I popped in a bootleg (iirc) Famicom game and it loaded up a similar message.  I took a pic of the message, need to post it here.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

P

fcgamer

IIRC, it was a piracy warning, and it was a bootleg Famicom cart.  I thought I had taken a pic, but can't find it now.  I'll see if I can dig the game out again and get it to happen again.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com