Do you ever feel juvenile because of retro gaming?

Started by fcgamer, July 27, 2014, 05:03:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fcgamer

I was out with a lady friend of mine today, as well as some of her friends (too bad she had made reference to a boyfriend towards the end of our time out though) and we had done some window shopping, looking at expensive watches, suitcase, clothes, and the like (usual woman fare).  When we were looking at the watches, I just felt so juvenile inside, thinking "Damn, for that amount of money I would rather buy a Gimmik, and have the trade-off being owning a cheap watch."  When thinking about this though, I suddenly felt very childish, like I had never moved beyond the stage of the kid that wants to go into the toy shop.

Does anyone else ever feel that way?  I usually don't feel this way (or care what people think of my games hobby, everyone needs to have a hobby) but for a few moments I just felt childish. 
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

MaxXimus

I too feel a little childish when thinking about all the money that I spent on games when I could have spent it on something "a little more useful."

my answer to that is never stop feeling childish. It's one of the only things keeping me sane right now, lol. It could be way worse. You could be blowing it all on drugs and alcohol.

Did the lady friend do anything to make you feel that way?

tappybot

When buying anything, I often think, how many games I could have bought instead of that.

Don't feel bad about. Just feel passionate about your hobby.

nerdynebraskan

We're pretty complex animals. I like to think of myself as one of those Russian dolls that's filled with smaller dolls. If one of those inner-mes is still the 8-year old sitting on the floor in front of the TV with an NES controller-in-hand, that's ok. Feed your inner child; it'll keep you young.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

senseiman

I mainly feel like that when we have guests and they see our living room, which has a Famicom hooked up to the TV and a shelf with about 100 carts on one wall, which is very conspicuous.   Most of those folks have more `grown up` hobbies, but on some occasions people say `Oh neat, Famicom!  Lets play.` and I feel better about myself.

I always make sure to close the door to the room where 90% of my collection is housed, its more or less wall to wall games and toys in there. 

fcgamer

Quote from: MaxXimus on July 27, 2014, 09:19:14 am
I too feel a little childish when thinking about all the money that I spent on games when I could have spent it on something "a little more useful."

my answer to that is never stop feeling childish. It's one of the only things keeping me sane right now, lol. It could be way worse. You could be blowing it all on drugs and alcohol.

Did the lady friend do anything to make you feel that way?

I don't think my friend did anything in particular to make me feel that way, but it was more about seeing a bunch of "normal" people (for lack of better term) together, checking out expensive watches and stuff like that, which made me feel a bit funny to myself when I stood there and thought about it.  I think I especially felt this way since I could care less about owning and maintaining a fancy watch, and would prefer to own and play some 20 year old game software.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

P

Yes, I feel that too when I'm around people with no interest for games. But then I often realize that there's lots of people my age with the same hobby.

thepandaofnom

I feel childish a bit but then again I look at what so called mature people do and I laugh. The mature crowd always complain about everything and never have fun. I know you need to do some things you hate in life but in your free time have fun. This is the main reason I have remained single for most my life. All the girls I have been involved with leave me because I wont get rid of my video games and manga. One girlfriend gave me an ultimatum " get rid of the games or get rid of her". I looked to her and said I am gonna have to break up with you.   She was pissed.

fredJ

Quote from: senseiman on July 27, 2014, 09:37:59 pm
I mainly feel like that when we have guests and they see our living room, which has a Famicom hooked up to the TV and a shelf with about 100 carts on one wall, which is very conspicuous.   Most of those folks have more `grown up` hobbies, but on some occasions people say `Oh neat, Famicom!  Lets play.` and I feel better about myself.

I always make sure to close the door to the room where 90% of my collection is housed, its more or less wall to wall games and toys in there.  

That's pretty cool, I love to play famicom whenever I have a chance... Should invite me some day.

As a coincidence, today I happen to read about otaku and got into The Otaku Killer (http://www.crimelibrary.com/blog/2013/01/05/serial-killer-spotlight-tsutomu-miyazaki-otaku-killer/index.html).

Personally though, no I don't feel juvenile but I am mainly into old games for the cultural value. Some people enjoy old movies and call it culture. I enjoy old games. Don't see the difference.

Now, if you ask me about people who sit for hours with stuff like XBox, now that is a waste of time, IMO. It is something completely different. Like comparing an Orson Wells movie to some repetitive mindless Crime Detective series (like Bones ).
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

security16

I feel for all you guys. Being a woman I still don't get women either! I see retro gaming as a special sort of history that you just can't learn about unless you play them and some of it is personal history. It might seem juvenile to some but you know what who gives a fuck I see it as preserving history. Sadly my bedroom tv isn't compatible with the famicoms and superfamicoms but I have my NES and SNES hooked up to it and hurrahs the supergameboy lets me play tekkaman blade :D Which is also a part of my personal history

famiac

Collecting games has made me feel silly haha but not in a bad way. It is practically all i spend on, but that's what collecting is, it means knowing what you want. I like buying other things here and there, i also collect vinyl records. My friends have always loved that i have obscure and retro game consoles and games. They usually ask to play if we're hanging out at home.

It's a shame to hear about those girlfriend horror stories though... My girlfriend has always shown a legitimate interest in my games and what i do. She's always the first one to jump to the game room, and even when we're not near each other she likes battling me on the pokemon showdown simulator, which ends up being really fun. I wouldn't even think about dating someone who was incapable of enjoying what i enjoy, whether it be music or video games.

BonBon

August 02, 2014, 03:25:36 am #11 Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 03:09:47 pm by Jay-ray
I really didn't want to touch this topic but I am. Please be warned I'm gonna rant. I've been collecting video games for 20+ years. I've always been interested in classic gaming because i never really transitioned well with the 3D games N64 era. I've always craved the side scrolling and platforming games, yeah The 3D games are cool don't get me wrong I love the N64 Zelda games, all the resident evils, grand theft auto etc. but I've always been drawn back to the platform games. I craved them so much and I've developed such a mastery of them. When the 3D era hit they Literally became extinct. Bottom line is there is no way it's Juvenile cause Juveniles don't collect or play these games. Its a great hobby that i take a ton of pride in and never in my life would I be ashamed of it. I've never had anyone walk into my apartment and not be impressed by my collection of games that takes up an entire wall of my living room. usually they get hit with a face full of Nostalgia and you can't put I price on that. I spend a lot of time researching playing and collecting vintage games but it's not my whole life, there is so much on my plate between partying, women, and work but I still make time to play. There are so many people out there with no hobby it's sad. be proud that your Passionate about some thing and have great knowledge in the subject cause there are so many people that just eat, sleep, work, watch tv. They have no outlet, no hobby, not passionate about anything. I feel like anyone that would knock you about a hobby no matter what it was is Jealous because they think in there head they have no way to Identify them selfs from all the cookie cutters in the world. It's not about growing up cause I'll tell you what I'm no bum I'm doing really well in life and my hobby has never interfered with me being an adult and being Responsible for myself. I kind of think the a reason I'm able to do this is cause I've chosen not to have kids not knocking anyone that has them but after my bills are paid I have a fair amount of money to spend on whatever I want and with that money I've chosen to Pursue my passion by acquiring an epic collection of vintage games that I play very often. Also when I do play games I'm trying to do an epic run on ever game I fire up. I know I've ranted but never ever let some one make you feel like your hobby or something you like is Inferior. Plus I really didn't want to mention this but are collections are worth a great chunk of change. It's an investment that you can interact with and use there are not many collecting Hobbies that you can do that with most of them all you can do is look at them.

zmaster18

I feel that retro gaming is the opposite of juvenile. As retro gamers, we usually research what game products we buy before buying. Modern gamers can be very ignorant and just aimlessly buy the next COD or whatever and laugh at you for playing 'bad-graphics games'...Uhh if you care about graphics soo much then watch a damn movie. Old school, 2D gameplay is simple to learn and hard to master. It's much more skill based in some cases. That's why I love old skool games, you can just pick up and play right away!

One of my other hobbies that people think is totally kiddy is LEGO. I've always had a passion for it and always will. LEGO isn't just a toy, it's an art-medium, like sculpture or model building. I usually keep this hobby a secret except to family and close friends who understand. Deep down inside, everybody still has a fascination for it. Society just tells the average person LEGO is just for kids.

VegaVegas

Hahah that's right, I even kind of feel the opposite way- other people are juvenile but not me ;) . Especially those XD HD 2989042182p super blue-purple-golden-platinum-holographic-ray players that only bitch about GRAPHICS. Does the gameplay matter?? No because GRAPHICS counts ONLY. OMG ahahah this pixelated shit has so bad GRAPHICS.... (and so on).... But as they say, there's no cure for stupidity, so I won't even bother explaining a few important things to those idiots

Maybe not only this is the case but also there are many other people completely not gaming-related. I laugh at people (who actually laugh at me at the same time) who say buying retro games is so stupid and senseless while they spend their whole salary on bitches, alcohol and parties ;)

Oh and also if we started that stupid GRAPHICS topic, here's a very useful information for all gamers:

GRAPHICS≠GAMEPLAY