Do you ever feel juvenile because of retro gaming?

Started by fcgamer, July 27, 2014, 05:03:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fcgamer

Quote from: MaarioS on August 07, 2014, 02:12:09 am
Hahah that's right, I even kind of feel the opposite way- other people are juvenile but not me ;) . Especially those XD HD 2989042182p super blue-purple-golden-platinum-holographic-ray players that only bitch about GRAPHICS. Does the gameplay matter?? No because GRAPHICS counts ONLY. OMG ahahah this pixelated shit has so bad GRAPHICS.... (and so on).... But as they say, there's no cure for stupidity, so I won't even bother explaining a few important things to those idiots

Maybe not only this is the case but also there are many other people completely not gaming-related. I laugh at people (who actually laugh at me at the same time) who say buying retro games is so stupid and senseless while they spend their whole salary on bitches, alcohol and parties ;)

Oh and also if we started that stupid GRAPHICS topic, here's a very useful information for all gamers:

GRAPHICS≠GAMEPLAY

So if I spend a lot of my salary on my girlfriend, booze, and retro games, where does that put me?!?   :o
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

VegaVegas

I just wanted to get you the idea. In my opinion buying retro games is an investment, you don't waste your money whatsoever. Hell, you even earn that money because retro games increase in value after time!! In my opinion it's better than spending it only on bitches, alcohol and parties since that's kind of a waste, I bet most of us here will agree

That reminds me of one situation when my class-mate asked me why I'd wanna buy some "senseless" Dreamcast game. So I just answered I don't waste my money and I want that game and even if I don't want it anymore, I can always sell it. So after that he answered "well if you have too much money, give me some and I'll make better use of that". I still wonder what his "better way" was ;)

UglyJoe

This comic right here.  Middle panel.  That's pretty much my adulthood.

I don't feel juvenile.  I simply don't have an interest in cars or sports or whatever else it is guys are supposed to like. *shrugs*

NintendoKing

mario3648

I never really feel like that when I'm getting older systems and such, no. It's a passion that we all happen to love, why not follow it?

security16

Meh I get told all the time that because i'm female I shouldn't like this or I should like that. I'm a stubborn bitch and I will like what I want to like and retro gaming is something I LIKE AND WILL CONTINUE TO LIKE!

manuel

I don't think that's childish.
Everybody has different priorities.

Liking expensive watches and fashion doesn't make you an adult, just like liking video games doesn't make you a child.
But that's just my opinion...

jpx72

Quite the opposite, I see young people playing supermodern videogames, laughing at me being so "horny" when I see a bunch of "yellow" cartridges in the chinese market ;D
I feel old :crazy:

manuel

Are there many of these Chinese markets where you live?
Sounds awesome!

I sometimes went over the boarder to the Czech Republic, but the stands there only had bad DVD and CD bootlegs and nothing gaming related.  :(

Shumi Nagaremono

I feel much *less* juvenile when I'm browsing retro games than when I'm doing the same with newer titles.  The people looking for Famicom carts are usually around the same age as me, with others being considerably older.   Retro collecting is, by its very nature, something that kids don't often take an interest in.

Now, when I'm standing in line to pick up the latest 3DS Mario game and many of the people in line are like seven?  *Then* I feel juvenile.

MS-DOS4

Only a little bit. I'll admit the Famicom is a bit fisher-price looking, which they did away with on the NES. None of my friends are really into older video games, so they don't know much about them and don't comment on my collection. To them it's seen as just another random hobby.
>>>Current Collection<<< Updated 8/20/2014

-Click here for Photobucket Collection-

tappybot

Modern gaming makes me feel a bit juvenile.  It's blanketed in consumerism and there's barely anything out there that can hook me anymore.
It does feel like a huge time waster, as it's usually not very engaging, with the occasional exception.

I've replied to this thread already, and forget what I said..  but I do feel a little embarrassed about games shopping, with an increasing amount of grey hair.
Early grey runs in the family, but I'm still getting used to it, as the last 3 years is when I started noticing it wasn't just a stray here and there.

Anyway, aside from the grey, I look young. Maybe 23 years old or younger, even though I'm 29. I have a boyish face and build.
When I was in Japan, it was 'do what the romans do', so I died my hair like everyone else did, but back in the USA, and the hassle of dyeing, I've decided to try to embrace it and get over it.

It's a little awkward though. I've felt like a kid all my life, and generally look like one. So I guess feeling like a kid out in public, AND showing my age makes me self conscious.

Gonna just face it though.  I think part of it is gaming culture in general is a little embarrassing, what with the relentless spending and DLC and a lot of stuff I disagree with.

hvc01

Just found this post. Interesting read about all of your thoughts. The new/Famicom and the 3rd/4th generation of video games was the best, should never be forgotten and is something worth being nostalgic about. Nobody can challenge this.  :star:

wholesalewatch648

hm, an interesting question.  i dont feel juvenile when i am actually playing the retro games (NES/famicom/N64/Super famicom) BUT i do when i spend (hundreds) of dollars on mint condition hardware/software  :-[  (when it should have gone into the bank....) still trying to justify to myself i need two (or more) copies of the same game, one for playing and one for keeping mint condition..
I am a big Nintendo fan! especially GameBoy, N64, SFC, GC. And of course Mario games
I collect SFC/N64 mainly. Some rare famicom stuff too. Also miscellaneous video game stuff.

Sarahconner

American masculinity is increasingly juvenile due to the upper classes' lack of ritual & sacrifice. 
There aren't any 'maturing' experiences.