Unusual SMB3 bootleg

Started by Zycrow, August 08, 2014, 09:41:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Zycrow

I found this image on tumblr user Funky Dynamite's photo of his NES collection, with the description:

"A quick question for anyone who sees this post.  The Super Mario Bros 3 cart isn't the official Nintendo cart, as least as far as I can tell.  The game is the same, but all of the dialogue is in what appears to be Japanese.  My mom bought it for me years ago in a regular electronics store where it was sitting next to official NES games in a navy blue cardboard box with a plastic window.  Between this and the unusual cart design, I've always wondered where it came from.  Any ideas?"

What do you guys think? Anyone seen this before?
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18

fcgamer

Looks like a generic Super Mario Bros. 3 bootleg to me...still cool though. 

Many of these 72 pin bootlegs can be found in Indonesia and places like that, which had received the NES as opposed to the Famicom.  ;)  But the games were often times just bootleg Famicom carts with Famicom adapters inside, at least from my experience. 
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

DDCecil

I've always wondered... why do the pirates airbrush out Mario sometimes? You'd think that they would want the star of the game on the label...

Oreanor

the same reason they were removing copyrights and even game titles, I think. Fear of copyright law.

mario_bro2065

i happen to own a pirate smb3 pirate for the original japanese famicom with the same label. its a blue cart with the word TAITD.