Resurgence of platformers!

Started by FamilyMan, August 10, 2014, 05:39:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FamilyMan

Hello everyone,

Has anyone else noticed that platformers are having a come back? Soo many titles for the wii u and so on. I know that is because indies are keen to making simpler games but even big companies are  participating  in this.

Heres some I noticed:

Donkey kong country series
Shovel knight
Kirbys epic yarn
Yoshis wooly world
Mario maker
Nes remix 1&2
New super mario bros
Ducktales remastered

Being as fami/nes will be my fav system. Theres so great feature titles and current games that really breathe life into an old genre. Im thoroughly enjoying them as well.

:redcart:

- Collecting should be about owning the games as much as playing them!

fredJ

Nice.  :D Thanks for informing.

I don't know anything about modern stuff but this should be good for us old schoolers too.

I saw a video of some recent platforming Duck Tales game though, and while it looked nice, somehow I felt that it feels more awesome to play a game I know has been played and enjoyed some 20+ years ago even if it is technically inferior. But other people only play the newest stuff , so for each their own.
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

manuel

I'm glad platformers are back. I love that genre and it's a reason why I got a Wii U.

I'm still waiting for Duck Tales to come out in Japan, though. *cough*damn region lock*cough*
Maybe I should just get it for PC.

P

For once people having the Japanese system is missing out instead of the other way around like it usually is.

2D platform games are one of the most basic and common genres in video game history so it shouldn't be forgotten. For portable consoles 2D games (including platform games) never really disappeared. I think they made a comeback already when Game Boy Advance became super popular. But now when portable consoles have become so powerful, more 3D games are coming out for them, so I'm glad they made a comeback for home consoles as well.

tappybot

This resurgence is definitely happening because the guys who grew up playing those games are now making the games.

They make the games they want to play.  True artists and are in it for the passion rather than the money.

edit:  As for the big boys making stuff like this rather than just indies, I think they've noticed the appreciation a large chunk of gamers have for those old style games... I also think they've realized you don't need to blow tons and tons of money on stereoptycal AAA game assets.  Simple games are often the best games.

L___E___T

I think in terms of new indies, it's partly because they have the widest mass appeal and are amon the most strightforward types of games to make.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。