Famicom rf has jailbars. Can they be reduced?

Started by thepandaofnom, August 22, 2014, 11:15:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

thepandaofnom

I have my famicom hooked up to rf and the picture is great so I was not intending to do the av mod because I don't want to drill into the case.
I didn't see any problems till I went to play zelda and other games that have light solid color backgrounds more often. Now I wanted to know if anyone has shielded the ppu and got rid of the rf jailbars or if there is any other method to reduce it. if not i guess ill have to do the full av mod even though I don't want to drill in the case. Also I am not sure why but but my famicom looks like my nes using av but my nes on rf looks all grainy and distorted. Why is this. I assume it is because the famicom runs on a higher frequency and is why we have to have it on channel 95 on a us T.V. but I am not sure if that is true.

fredJ

I think if you lift pin 21 on the PPU and "B" on the transistor that it connects to, and instead put a wire between those two points on the top side of the console, it should reduce jailbars without additional modding.
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

thepandaofnom

That's probably what I'll do. I was looking at the av moding thread and their it says that the one like their causes noise on the video like. I don't know it would do it to the native rf signal also.  As added security I'll put the copper foil on it as well. I still want to know why rf on the famicom looks great and it's messy on the nes.  I know it's not the nes cause it's clean and rust free.

hvc01

The av mod will give you the best reduction in jailbars irrespective of if you lift he pin or not. I would recommend seeing what it looks like with alligator clips first. Pulling video off pin 21 takes no time at all just to check