Newly-bought Famicom will not turn on. Need assistance.

Started by ROBop, August 25, 2014, 07:31:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ROBop

So I got my Famicom in the mail today. I was excited to get it, but that excitement turned to disappointment when I found out several things.

For one, there was no RF adapter included. This wasn't such a bad thing, as I later learned, since the original Japanese RF adapter wouldn't work with American TV's. I have NES RF adapters out the ying-yang, so this wasn't as troubling as the next thing I found out.

The AC adapter included wasn't original. It appears to have been originally used to power Casio calculators. In addition, the cables were frayed.

I figured that the AC adapter not being the original adapter was an issue because the unit did not appear to be powering on. I hooked up the NES adapter to the back, plugged the Casio AC adapter in, and switched the power on while surfing through channels 90-99 on my 30 year old CRT set. There was no indication of power.

So then I decided to give a Genesis 1 AC adapter a try. Unfortunately, this came back negative as well. It appears as though this Famicom I purchased is officially DOA.

Now, I've had consoles that have been DOA before. Normally, a blown fuse turns out to be a problem, and the process of replacing a blown fuse usually involves a visit to an electronics shop since I don't trust myself with a soldering iron, but it comes back working in the end.

My questions are for anyone who can answer them: What does it sound like the problem is? Am I right about the "fuse" or am I forgetting or missing something? If it is something that needs to be replaced, then what is it, exactly?

For informational purposes, This is an early-model "square button" Famicom. If you need more info, or perhaps pictures, in order to help answer this question, just ask.

I'd appreciate any and all help.

Thanks.

hvc01

hi. you will need to open up to have a look. some mb have fuse soldered directly on power supply pcb. yours will not have a fuse see http://famicomworld.com/workshop/tech/square-button-famicom/ as it is one of the earlier models. it could be many things. do you have a multimeter?

fredJ

as said, square buttons don't have fuses

set the switch to "game" mode?
what does the power supply say exactly?
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com