AV Famicom RGB mod?

Started by VikNES, August 27, 2014, 11:00:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

VikNES

Hey Guys!

So I was wondering. Is it possible to do a RGB mod on a AV Famicom without the playerchoice 10 PPU and other expensive stuff?
I've seen this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yurmrnfrFw
But I can't find the plans, or a review or whatever.
I've searched my ass off so maybe some one here could help so I can share this info with a guy that could mod it for me.

famiac

thepandaofnom

The ppu he has in that famicom is a play chose ppu. To my knowledge their is no RGB encoder or output on the famicom. This is why you nee extra and normally expensive hardware. Your cheapest method at the moment would be the NESRBG board.

VikNES

Ah k thanks for the info.

So what's the differencer between a PLaychoice PPU and that board that famiac posted?
I've heard some games do not play properly with a playchoice PPU, is that true? And what about that board?

thepandaofnom

Their is some problems using the play chose ppu and it is expensive. about $199-250. The NESRGB board is only $99 and I am not sure but I think it has a 99% comparability rate. Also the NESRBG comes with a pallet switch to change the color pallet to match your tv. Along with the board and switch you get a jack and cable so you can have all the RGB connectors in one din connector. If it was my money and my famicom I would go with the NESRBG.  My only concern is that with ether method you must desolder and remove your ppu witch is a 40 pin chip with several stubborn ground pins. So I also recommend that if you don't know how to desolder have it professionally installed by someone with good rep. Hope your project goes well.

VikNES

I just hope it fits etc, I really don't want to drill holes or remove stuff from the shell

P

If I understand it correctly, the differences is that the NESRGB is some kind of thing that somehow makes a normal Famicom/NES PPU produce an RGB signal even though it normally only outputs a composite signal.

The playchoice ouputs RGB from the start, but it doesn't work exactly the same way as a normal Famicom PPU so some games will not work properly among other problems. Plus it's expensive like Panda said and you'll have to sacrifice increasingly rare arcade machines.

NESRGB is most likely the better choice.

thepandaofnom

If you are worried about doing the work yourself I would recommend paying to get someone who does it as a profession. I know that my set up just for the required tools was not cheap and even then most people cant use them well. I would talk to this ( www.game-tech.us ) guy. he does a lot of nes and famicom rgb mods and has good rep and a lot of youtube videos ( https://www.youtube.com/user/GameTechUS/videos ) so you can see his work. I don't know what he charges but you will receive a working rgb modded famicom that looks nice.

XC-3730C

November 28, 2014, 08:51:44 pm #8 Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 09:12:18 pm by XC-3730C
I got mine RGB Modded. The guy I got it modded from did a hell of a job, and even installed a power LED mod, and put the palette switch on the front of the system. He even created some SNES to NES controller adapters so I can use my SNES controllers. He also created a SCART RGB cable that uses the multi AV port (like SNES and n64).

Here she is:

Here is a screenshot of my AV Famicom RGB Modded in action (connected to my Mitsubishi XC-3730C):

fredJ

right now we are working on a RGB of a twin famicom.

Is convenient because you can use the twin famicom existing RF port! For the RGB cable! Saves a lot of work and I even have cables for the purpose (standard DIN)
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com