Remove the RF box (GPM-02)

Started by strider1911, September 02, 2014, 06:53:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

strider1911

Hello,
I've been reading posts from this forum for a better part of a year now and got a lot of useful information from here.

I've recently modded my Famicom for AV using this guide:
http://jpx72.detailne.sk/modd_files/fc/avmod.htm

But, I can't seem to be able to find room inside the console for the circuit (I don't like to solder components directly to each other so I made a small circuit). So, now I have an external cardboard box that connects to the motherboard with4 wires and has 2 RCA jacks in the front. I'm not very satisfied with this solution and was wondering if I could remove the RF box while keeping just the power components. I've seen this mentioned here a couple of times but I lack the knowledge to understand most of the technical stuff or read schematics.

My question is this: Is there a simple guide to doing this? Has it been done before? All I need is a simple "connect this point to this point" and I'm off.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ben.

zmaster18

I personally only buy Famicoms that are the early motherboards (Famicoms that don't have the 'FF' logo) because they are easier to fit my AV mod inside. I actually saw half of the RF board off so I can mount my AV mod board on the inside without having to actually cut holes in the plastic.

The early RF board is only attached by a few wires so it's easy to detach, but the later boards where the RF board is basically attached with solder is tough, so I don't even mess with it. Be careful if you do cut the metal shielding, the sharp edges can cut you. File down the rouch edges or use a power grinder.

strider1911

I appreciate the reply but the problem I have isn't with how to physically remove it but what should I change electronically to maintain functionality.
This is old hardware and I can barely see where do all the leads go on the RF circuit.

zmaster18

If you only need the power lead and ground, cutting the board in half doesn't affect those traces. It will destroy the RF functionality though.

hvc01

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?49263-GUIDE-AV-mod-your-Famicom

I did this mod and cannot complain maybe this would fix your solution. I did have to mod the plastic to get the audio port in through the square area where the switch was removed. But that involved heating with the soldering iron to mould the plastic. I'm sure you could mount to plastic without modding it though. Hope this p no is of some help 😃

strider1911

Everything you said was extremely useful and I will try the guide, at least for ideas.
I actually thought that there was a way to remove the entire RF board and just solder the power components instead. Now I understand that it doesn't work like that.
I'll think about it maybe I will saw off some of the mini-board where the RF components are and hope for the best.

Thanks.