What about a FW fanzine?

Started by Switchstance, September 03, 2014, 11:01:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Switchstance

Hello all my fellow friends of FW. I've been thinking about how bad this world needs a Famicom-fanzine with reviews, articles, pictures coming from Famicom fans all over the world. Since FW it's the biggest and oldest english website about Famicom it would be wise to discuss this possibility.

It can be a PDF file, not too large (this means, not many pages at the beginning) with a few articles and stuff, collaboration from members all over the world. Simple design, nothing too fancy and release it to see if people dig it. I've been reading PC Engine Gamer and other magazines and they are awesome, but there's no Famicom fanzine around. Why don't we start one?
Famicom lover

jascony

That's an excellent idea. I'd love to contribute some classic Famicom fanart or maybe reviews that could run with screenshots and classy photos like this one Nintendo did for Mario's 25th anniversary.

Switchstance

Famicom lover

tappybot

UglyJoe

Do you have any experience throwing something like this together?

Switchstance

Of course, I've been making fanzines since 1996 and electronically I worked many years in a newspaper as a graphic designer, so yeah, I have some experience.
Famicom lover

Shumi Nagaremono

This sounds great.  I'd love to contribute and/or read it.  :)

UglyJoe

Sounds good to me.  Is there a theme for the issue, or do we just submit whatever?

Switchstance

Well I was expecting that Admins/Owners were the ones actually setting up the bar or rules regarding the fanzine. I can do my best to work on the design but I am no authority to actually you know "lead" the thing.
Now, if you ask me my opinion I believe that everything Famicom/FDS related sounds good to read, from random articles, reviews or even a comic strip.
Famicom lover

UglyJoe

I guess I could oversee accepting submissions and maybe some editing duties, but that's about it.  I have some experience in polishing up user content, though not in the context of a zine.

As far as a theme goes, I know that it helps me personally to have a theme to work off of, so long as it's not super-specific.  Maybe I'm just weird like that, though.

L___E___T

Themes are easy.  'Memories' or 'colours' could be good themes.  Or Japan vs. US differences could be another.  Everyone knows what makes the NES great, but what makes the Famicom great for a 1st issue?
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Ghegs

I have a text file filled with ideas I sometimes turn into articles. One of them is about how Famicom collecting is more fun than NES collecting because of the variety of shapes, colors, and other things that Famicom physical releases have, while NES releases all are uniform. I could work that into an article with some pictures.

tappybot

I've been working on a Famicom related comic I intended to debut on my own website (which isn't up yet either), though I was beginning to doubt it, as I don't think I can manage a strip a week (maybe once it gets rolling or if I cut it down to a smaller amount of frames), but that might make it more ideal for a fanzine, which I'd assume might be monthly.

Or, I might be interested in doing a separate comic, or just doing the art to someone else's short 3 frame sort of comic.

Alternatively, I could also do miscellaneous artwork that could compliment some pieces, a la old Nintendo Power.

Anyway, count me in as an artist if needed.  :yoshi:

edit:

Here's what I'd like to see in a Famicom fanzine, by the way:

- Community Questions and Replies
- Game Challenges
- High Scores
- Articles on games, game culture, whatever really
- Comics
- Various community polls

Basically all the neat stuff I'm nostalgic for in older game mags

fcgamer

I would love to write some articles for the fanzine, should it get off the ground.  Probably my articles would mostly be about unlicensed / bootleg stuff, as that is what I know most about.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com