April 20, 2024, 06:36:39 am

Depression

Started by smeghead, October 26, 2014, 04:55:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

zmaster18

You gotta tone down the drugs if you're around the kids, especially if you want them to not be influenced by your example. There's nothing wrong with unwinding with whatever substance you choose, as long as your other aspects of life are balanced. Although, if I were you I would stick to just one. You should quit boozing altogether, and just stick with the cannabis because it's easier on your system, as well as health benefits. I used to consider myself an addict a few years back when I had serious depression, but now I use it with a pretty good balance. Never let it get in the way of responsibilities my friend  8)

MaxXimus

Thanks for the replies guys

Fcgamer. I actually used to attend NA meetings for a bit right after quitting all the hard stuff I did and right before quitting hard alcohol. She seemed proud of me at that point, but she seems to have forgotten how far I have come.

Zmaster18. Except for the pot I am not using anything and have been trying to cut back on the drinking as much as possible. I am a daily drinker and like to have at least a couple beers a day and in the last 7 days I have had 6 beers (I went out and bought myself 2 yesterday because I couldn't handle the stress I was being put through. )

-----

Things have toned down again so let's hope that was a low and things are going to chip up a bit. If not, maybe it's time to start pitching for the other team, haha ;p

fcgamer

I drink a lot too, I feel - not daily, but several times a week.  Sometimes I think it is stress related, but other times it is simply wanting to complement my spicy noodles or fried rice with a cold one.  Beer will make you fat, and alcohol itself can cause health issues; however, I also always remember that it is partially a cultural feeling, Italians drinking a daily glass or two of wine, Germans and their daily beer, etc.  So while I don't think a daily usage is necessary as bad as what our cultures make it out to be, I also feel that the key here is moderation.  If you want / need to drink every day, maybe switch to something a bit more healthy like wine, and stop it after a glass or two.  This is coming from the views of a homebrewer though, so maybe my views are a bit biased and skewed.

I also stopped drinking hard alcohol awhile back.  It always seemed to lead me down a bad path, and I just was tired of it. 

As for your girlfriend forgetting the progress you made, it very well could be that she just doesn't want it to stagnate.  I get this a lot with my gf and my Chinese ability.  When I first came to Taiwan, I took a lot of effort to learn Chinese, and I quickly picked up a toolbox of survival Chinese, that would impress any Taiwanese.  But after three years of living here and my language ability having improved very little, my girlfriend is quite tired of playing translator for me.  Stagnating is not good, I think, women hate that.   
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

P

I also drink beer around twice a week but only with friends (I hate drinking alone) and I'm trying to be careful since I have alcoholics in the family. My oldest karate instructor always says that a beer after training is good for the balance and that those people always training super hard and never drink alcohol are not healthy. He's been smoking and drinking all his life and still has very good values despite his age, so I also believe alcohol is good for you in moderate amounts. But drinking to ease pain is more bad than good.

I don't think she has forgotten that you have tried hard but that's no reason to stop improving as Fcgamer says. You have your favourite Famicom forum as your support too. :)

MaxXimus

After not drinking any beer for a week I drink 5 beers and we are back to he same....... Sigh.

zmaster18

You should still think of that break as an accomplishment. You have to do small steps at a time to break a habit. Keep it up, and you will gradually get there.

MaxXimus

I think the best thing right now would to just have a few sober days again.

JessicaWolf

Guess I am not the only one with alcohol concerns/problems it would seem.
Here are a few games I am looking for right now
Super Puzzle Fighter II X (Sega Saturn)
GeGeGe no Kotarou (Sega Saturn)
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (Sega Saturn)
KiKi KaiKai (PC Engine) (CIB)
Puzzle Bobble (Super Famicom) (CIB)

zmaster18

If you absolutely need that escape from reality, just play a game. I know, you may not be in the mood to just pick up the controller but just do it. You will get immersed in the game and only focus on the game. You will forget about your craving temporarily. It amazes me how a game will take my mind off stress and also my temptation for cannabis. It's a good, stress-relieving distraction. I recommend wii sports boxing or punch out wii when pissed off.

fcgamer

Going for a run is a healthy alternative.  It will make you feel good.

For me, drinking is usually associated with certain activities I do.  For example, if I decide to play guitar some evening, I will be more likely to drink beer than if I decide to watch a movie.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com