Questions about the Famicom World Games List / Database

Started by fcgamer, September 09, 2014, 09:44:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fcgamer

To make a long story short, earlier this year I decided to start collecting for a Famicom full set.  While I think that this goal may never make it to realization, for me it is about the journey, and at this moment I am about half way done with my goal.  Maybe I should make a post on here asking to purchase $1.50 games shipped, lol, to aid in getting the rest of the carts?  Okay, so that was a dick comment, but this goal of mine, collecting wise, led me to copy the FW game cartridge list and dump it into an excel file, to make a checklist of what I have and what I still need.  Lately though, I have been seeing some oddities and would like some clarifications, if anyone can help.

1)  This is more of a comment than anything else, but I discovered that the unlicensed American Video Entertainment game, Solitaire, made its way into the list of licensed / unlicensed Famicom releases, even when removing the search for NES games.  This seems to be an error and should be corrected.

2)  Unless I am not looking in the right place, it seems that the Datach carts are not included on this list?  The reason I ask is as follows:

Some carts were released in both Datach and Normal cart format.  For example, Crayon shin-chan.  Yet there is only one entry (that I could find) for this game.  So are the Datach carts excluded from the list?  There are only seven different carts, and some (maybe all?) were also released as normal carts.  I personally feel that the Datach carts should be attributed for separately from the regular carts, much as many people would list the Aladdin Deck Enhancer NES carts separately from the normal cartridge versions.  To have them together just seems a bit messy, imo.

3)  Similar to the above, I see on the list an entry titled "Karaoke Studio"; I am of the belief that this is for the base unit made by Bandai, correct?  The mic + base unit, which has the game built in.  Interesting to me how this peripheral would be listed as a game, just because it has a game built in, and I shudder to think how people would handle this, if it were on the NES collecting side of things.

4)  When I finished my list, I came to a total of 1079 games, iirc, which is a bit higher than the 1051 number of Famicom games that I always hear people mentioning, when they talk about the number of Famicom games.  I know I saw the gold Punch Out cart on the list, but that still only accounts for one game, and things like the gold Rockman 4 are not on the list.  Does anyone have any idea what other games are causing the discrepancy between numbers? 

5)  Finally, is there a list anywhere (or maybe even it is documented in the database, I need to check further) of variants of carts?  I know some carts had picture labels and pulseline versions, some of the Irem games were missing the light in the cart, etc.  While I don't think that I will be looking to purchase (expensive) variants at the moment, I might try to get some of the cheaper variants that are out there, thought it helps to know what to be looking for.

Thanks guys for helping me to clear some of these things up. 
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

UglyJoe

Quote from: fcgamer on September 09, 2014, 09:44:35 pm
1)  This is more of a comment than anything else, but I discovered that the unlicensed American Video Entertainment game, Solitaire, made its way into the list of licensed / unlicensed Famicom releases, even when removing the search for NES games.  This seems to be an error and should be corrected.

Noted.  Obviously shouldn't be in there.

2)  Unless I am not looking in the right place, it seems that the Datach carts are not included on this list?  The reason I ask is as follows:

Some carts were released in both Datach and Normal cart format.  For example, Crayon shin-chan.  Yet there is only one entry (that I could find) for this game.  So are the Datach carts excluded from the list?  There are only seven different carts, and some (maybe all?) were also released as normal carts.  I personally feel that the Datach carts should be attributed for separately from the regular carts, much as many people would list the Aladdin Deck Enhancer NES carts separately from the normal cartridge versions.  To have them together just seems a bit messy, imo.

Datach carts are in the list, but not clearly labeled as Datach cassettes.  There should probably be some indicator of that.  There is some overlap, specifically the Crayon Shin-chan game (which doesn't even use cards, so must have just been a way of releasing it cheaper).  I have to disagree with your comparison to the Aladdin Deck Enhancer, though.  Aside from Crayon Shin-chan, all of the Datach games make use of the card reader that's built into the Datach base unit.  These are Famicom games that make use of an accessory released by Bandai -- much in the same way that games for the Family Trainer (Power Pad) make use of the pad.  The only difference here is that the accessory plugs into the cartridge slot rather than the expansion slot. 

3)  Similar to the above, I see on the list an entry titled "Karaoke Studio"; I am of the belief that this is for the base unit made by Bandai, correct?  The mic + base unit, which has the game built in.  Interesting to me how this peripheral would be listed as a game, just because it has a game built in, and I shudder to think how people would handle this, if it were on the NES collecting side of things.

The Karaoke Studio stuff needs to be handled better.  That's there from before I even joined FW.  I am still inclined to consider it a game, assuming the base unit does have a game built into it, though.  As with the Datach, it should be better labeled.

4)  When I finished my list, I came to a total of 1079 games, iirc, which is a bit higher than the 1051 number of Famicom games that I always hear people mentioning, when they talk about the number of Famicom games.  I know I saw the gold Punch Out cart on the list, but that still only accounts for one game, and things like the gold Rockman 4 are not on the list.  Does anyone have any idea what other games are causing the discrepancy between numbers? 

I am actively working on the game list, so discrepancies are being cleaned up as I find them.  I am filling in gaps using data from bootgod's site, and doing further research where our two databases disagree.  I have never liked Gold Punch Out being its own entry, and will likely remove it at some point in favor of having a separate article (or articles) explaining any gold/special editions.

5)  Finally, is there a list anywhere (or maybe even it is documented in the database, I need to check further) of variants of carts?  I know some carts had picture labels and pulseline versions, some of the Irem games were missing the light in the cart, etc.  While I don't think that I will be looking to purchase (expensive) variants at the moment, I might try to get some of the cheaper variants that are out there, thought it helps to know what to be looking for.

I am not aware of such a list, nor does the FW database have that information.  Sorry :-[

fcgamer

Thanks for the quick responses and insight Joe!  Just to add a few more of my own comments on your comments:

#2:  My point with the Datach versus the Aladdin Deck Enhancer is that both items have some carts that were released in regular cart and mini cart format.  With the NES Aladdin Deck Enhancer games, on most lists I see, there will be two entries, one which is marked for the normal version, and one entry for the Deck Enhancer version.  If I were running the database, I would probably do the same thing, making two separate entries for the carts that were released as both, as I think any collector that was trying to get all the games would want both releases.  As for the carts that were Datach only releases, yeah, some markage of that would be nice as well :)

#3:  I am pretty sure the Karaoke Studio base unit does have a game built in it, though I will find out probably next week when mine arrives.  But from You Tube videos, there is a game inside.  I think this should be marked better though, as I could see some people disagreeing with it counting as a game, since it is such a funky...er game, thingie.  Haha.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

UglyJoe

Quote from: fcgamer on September 10, 2014, 06:26:16 pm
#2:  My point with the Datach versus the Aladdin Deck Enhancer is that both items have some carts that were released in regular cart and mini cart format.  With the NES Aladdin Deck Enhancer games, on most lists I see, there will be two entries, one which is marked for the normal version, and one entry for the Deck Enhancer version.  If I were running the database, I would probably do the same thing, making two separate entries for the carts that were released as both, as I think any collector that was trying to get all the games would want both releases.  As for the carts that were Datach only releases, yeah, some markage of that would be nice as well :)

Ah.  I am not sure how I will handle that one.  Probably two separate entries.  However, the Shin-chan game is the only one (of eight) Datach games that also had a regular cart release.  The other seven use a barcode-scanning game mechanic, and so would not work without the Datach.  Part of me does not like to have to give that one game special treatment, but I might end up doing it anyway.

number47

Sorry for necroposting.

Do you happen to know if Bootgod's database is down for good or will it ever be up and running again?

L___E___T

June 17, 2016, 05:14:25 am #5 Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 05:38:50 am by L___E___T
Quote from: fcgamer on September 10, 2014, 06:26:16 pm

#3:  I am pretty sure the Karaoke Studio base unit does have a game built in it, though I will find out probably next week when mine arrives.  But from You Tube videos, there is a game inside.  I think this should be marked better though, as I could see some people disagreeing with it counting as a game, since it is such a funky...er game, thingie.  Haha.

I have the Karaoke Studio BNIB and it didn't come with the cartridge game, but could well have demo software included on it built in.  Karaoke Vol.1 was not included though, not of course Vol.2 which could be where the confusion is derived from.  personally I would still say it's a game, even though it's more in line with what tends to just be called 'software'.  I don't think there was ever a Vol.3, as Vol.2 is incredibly rare.

On a similar topic, is there a known list of Disk Writer releases?  Or Disk Writer exclusives?  I found this, which notes that it includes games that also had cart releases: 
http://www.giantbomb.com/disk-writer-exclusive/3015-7686/games/
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

UglyJoe

Quote from: number47 on June 17, 2016, 04:10:32 am
Do you happen to know if Bootgod's database is down for good or will it ever be up and running again?

I do not know.  I guess I could ask him.

edit: http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14335

Quote from: L___E___T on June 17, 2016, 05:14:25 am
On a similar topic, is there a known list of Disk Writer releases?  Or Disk Writer exclusives?  I found this, which notes that it includes games that also had cart releases:  
http://www.giantbomb.com/disk-writer-exclusive/3015-7686/games/

There's this, but I don't know if it needs updating / fact-checking: http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=985.0

JC

Keep in mind the original FW list was intended to also account for hacks originating from real companies, often foreign (in other words, no homebrews from repro websites), and official release gameplay variations, however slight. So, something like Gold Punch-out makes the list because of its poor grammar and lack of Dream Fight.

BonBon