My thoughts on Super Smash Bros. 3DS! (Plus free bonuses for EU/US)

Started by FamicomRetroGamer, September 13, 2014, 02:52:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tappybot

P,  I see what you're saying about performing a smash attack with a D-pad.   Well, how did Brawl do it exactly? I know it was playable on the Sideways Wii remote.
Personally, I'd suggest attacking w/ a douple tap of the Dpad. It could immediately start charging like any normal smash attack if held.   Alternatively, there's at least one extra face button without a unique assigned function. They could have made that a smash attack button (though I'd rather the double tap d pad suggestion I made)

Some of the concerns will be dispelled with the full release, like the button layout (I'm pretty sure you can customize face buttons and swap L and R functions).

I spent more time playing the demo, and I'm definitely digging the game. It's really cool.  To some extent, I did get better with the controls..
But.. I just can't adjust to the slide pad to where I feel I can be competent at the game. I feel like I'm playing very badly.  I'm also worried about damaging it.

Now..  a little bit of information about the final release came out that's putting me on the fence about buying the 3DS game, where it was a must buy, before.

Bizarrely, you can't adjust item frequency....
So it appears that items are either dropping like rain, as in the demo, or they're off completely.

That's very disappointing to me.  I've always loved playing with items, but even the Low setting in Brawl feels a bit too frequent for my tastes.. 
The setting in the 3DS game is insane..  I'd assume it's Normal - High Brawl equivalent.. maybe even more frequent.

So yeah.  Weird for me to say this, because I was completely gung-ho for the 3DS game a while back...  but I think I might just not get it and wait for the bigger, more fully featured release on WiiU.

How about you guys?

P

I changed my mind that the A/B issue isn't a problem. I played some more and realized the reason it's hard to jump is because the buttons functions are placed in a way that makes it hard to access them quickly.

It would be much better with B = Attack, Y = Special Attack and A and X for jumping. But the grab/block swap is my biggest problem and I can never block or grab when I want to. I guess I always used L for blocking with the Gamecube controller and now when I think about it, the first game in the series used Z for blocking (left index finger) and R for grabbing (right index finger). So Nintendo actually swapped the two buttons in this game!!

Quote from: tappybot on September 24, 2014, 09:07:16 am
P,  I see what you're saying about performing a smash attack with a D-pad.   Well, how did Brawl do it exactly? I know it was playable on the Sideways Wii remote.
Personally, I'd suggest attacking w/ a douple tap of the Dpad. It could immediately start charging like any normal smash attack if held.   Alternatively, there's at least one extra face button without a unique assigned function. They could have made that a smash attack button (though I'd rather the double tap d pad suggestion I made)

I never really liked double tapping. When doing it I often fail to do it quickly enough in games that uses this and my character just stands there and looks dumbly. But that's the only way I can think of. Maybe the Wii version did that.

I've gotten better with the slide pad and my smash attacks succeeds more often now, but I'm still feeling like a beginner at Smash Bros. I don't feel like the slide pad will break though, if you are only gently enough. I remember people new to the analogue stick at N64 pressed it unnecessarily hard and generally handled it very roughly but as you got to play more you learned to handle it smoothly. My controllers lasted almost the entire life time of the N64 because I learned how to handle it (and forced my friends to learn it too lol).

Quote from: tappybot on September 24, 2014, 09:07:16 am
Bizarrely, you can't adjust item frequency....
So it appears that items are either dropping like rain, as in the demo, or they're off completely.

That's very disappointing to me.  I've always loved playing with items, but even the Low setting in Brawl feels a bit too frequent for my tastes.. 
The setting in the 3DS game is insane..  I'd assume it's Normal - High Brawl equivalent.. maybe even more frequent.

That's too bad. I also like to at least have items available to add more to the fun, but sometimes it adds a bit too much randomness to the game (bob-ombs).

I'm not sure if I'm getting this game or not. I have some other games I'm also interested in and I have games that I've bought and hadn't time to play yet. My brother seems to be getting it, but I want to know if I can link with non-Japanese version of the game since I have a Japanese 3DS.

Post Merge: September 27, 2014, 01:45:47 am

Maybe this is actually a good idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STf4d7RaCCk

nintendodork

I don't see a general Smash 3DS thread so I'll post here.

Quote from: P on September 24, 2014, 12:24:59 pm
I guess I always used L for blocking with the Gamecube controller...

Same. Immediately after I downloaded the full game, I switched the guard and grab buttons. It's so much easier, in my opinion, to have your shield on L in case you want to do a side dodge. It's just one quick muscle movement instead of having to use both hands.

My favorite characters right now are Greninja and Duck Hunt. Greninja is just everything I want in a Smash character: A fast, hard-to-predict, powerful fighter who is also a Pokémon. Duck Hunt is such a unique concept and is so fun to use. The Mii Fighters are surprisingly amazing too. Mii Brawler and Little Mac are just different enough for me, and Mii Swordfighter is just a composite of all of the best parts of the other swordfighting characters. Not a fan of Mii Gunner so much.

Also, just a personal grievance here: I really don't like how much Kid Icarus is being represented in this game. I get that it's Sakurai's less notable series and whatever, but using Smash as a vessel to show it off wasn't the right choice. Dark Pit was probably one of the most undeserving clones and could have easily been an alternate costume like the Koopalings and Alph. Dr. Mario at least has quite a few different custom moves, so I'll give him that in defense of his own character slot.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

tappybot

I warmed up to the 3DS game quite a bit, though I could come up with plenty of complaints.

The WiiU version is looking hot though and seems to remedy most of the issues I have, aside from Dark Pit.