anyone heard of Magical Kids Doropie?

Started by Bonneville97, September 17, 2014, 01:33:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonneville97

Looks like it was a Capcom megaman-like platformer that didnt do to well in the US. I was wondering if its worth picking up. I see the Famicom version is kinda pricey.

Thanks,
James

UglyJoe

NES version is cheaper (Krion Conquest), but they butchered the artwork.  The Famicom version has some cool fullscreen artwork between stages and stuff, but all of that was removed.

Would like to own Doropie myself, but not at the price it tends to go for :-[

fcgamer

I could never understand the price for this game on Famicom.  As Joe said, the NES version is much cheaper, and typically NES games go for a much higher premium than the Famicom versions. 

I guess the price difference could be attributed to the artwork cut scenes or whatever, but to me the price on this one still doesn't make sense.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

Ghegs

Don't know why it's become so expensive lately. I got mine CIB a few years back and it couldn't have been more than $60 or something in that ballpark.

It's not a bad game, but it does feel a bit clunky. I do like how you've got all the powers at your disposal from the start,

fredJ

It is a very rare game in Japan. I have hardly ever seen it in a lot (I have bought many thousands of famicom games)
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

joestar3

Quote from: Ghegs on September 17, 2014, 10:51:38 pm
Don't know why it's become so expensive lately. I got mine CIB a few years back and it couldn't have been more than $60 or something in that ballpark.

I got mine for about that price two years ago, but now it's going for like $200 on Suruga-Ya and other places.

I like it, it's rough compared to the Mega Man games it's ripping off, but it's definitely fun.

On a related and gutter-minded note, for kitsch value I'm still trying to find this hentai doujinshi where Mega Man uh "ambushes"  her for ripping off his games; I saw it once years ago and can't seem to find it... it also featured Spelunker dying because a woman tried to have sex with him.

L___E___T

I got mine from someone on here (loose) for $50 - always wanted it and I was presently surprised when I played it and 'got' the way it works.

Yes it's clunkier than Megaman 2, but it's worth checking out in my opinion if you can get a copy.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Ghegs

Quote from: joestar3 on September 19, 2014, 05:20:34 am
it also featured Spelunker dying because a woman tried to have sex with him.

I want to read it just because of this. I like the Spelunker guy.

fcgamer

I definitely want to grab this game, but I am hoping to grab it in the $50 price range at most.

Because of this thread I decided to pull the game out and play it tonight, well a bootleg version I have of it.  Reminds me of Mega Man 2, albeit a clunkier version.  Boy do I suck.  It sort of makes me understand how gamers feel, who say that the Rockman series is so difficult...having those games and mastering them as a child, I have forgotten / don't remember them being difficult, as I just breeze through them.  I guess Doropie sort of gives me the experience that some guys have, picking up the MEga Man games for the first time now.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

L___E___T

It does, until you figure out that every screen has a different weapon to use against the enemies etc.  

That's what I like about it, the fun thing MegaMan had with the stages in order - you have that from the start, but it switches all the time.  

Has replay value that way I find, because when you learn the order and tactics you can breeze through and feel like a winner where you once struggled :D
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

FamilyMan

Actually yes I have heard of it! I got it for a bargain of 20 dollars before the price spike a few years back. I love the in game cheat to change the characters outfits! Its really fun stuff. The game is hard as nails. I got to the final boss and succumbed to him :(

The city level is so breathe-takingly gorgeous, I used it in my 100th game beaten cardboard stand I made.
- Collecting should be about owning the games as much as playing them!

Bonneville97

well bummer...i'd like to try it but without the cutscenes i fell its just not the same. but at that price i can wait for a deal to snag.

Thanks,

James

Raverrevolution

It's times like these I'm glad I own an Everdrive.  I fired it up to see what everyone is talking about and wow, Megaman much??  They have seemed to copy it in a very detailed way, from the way the character looks, moves, and shots to the way you can use the broom like Rush. 

The NES version got completely butchered badly.  What a shame.