March 29, 2024, 06:25:40 am

YouTube Reviewers

Started by Shumi Nagaremono, October 06, 2014, 05:44:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FamicomRetroGamer

James Rolfe on his Frankenstein made a very important point about the Sonic games: "You love going fast but sometimes you've gotta slowdown and pay attention to what's happening". This quote right here is why Sonic Lost World isn't all about speed and more so like a traditional platformer, which I really like.

Man, I wish James Rolfe could get back to his "Retro AVGN" acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjUHdz2_v_o

L___E___T

Sonic as a whole isn't about speed and is actually about platforming - that's why the originals felt so great, they weren't just about whizzing around gormlessly.  

The speed was a hardware wow moment to show how 'next gen' the game was...  If you ask people what they like about Sonic and they say 'he's so fast!' that doesn't mean a straight up faster Sonic makes a better game, you have to dig deeper than that and read between the lines.  I think that's the biggest shame with Sonic, after S&K they just lost that magic.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

NintendoKing

Quote from: MaarioS on October 11, 2014, 12:29:48 pm
Quote from: Protoman on October 11, 2014, 11:17:53 am
Quote from: The Uninvited Gremlin on October 11, 2014, 05:31:02 am
I have always enjoyed Ashens, and irategamer.

Irategamer huh? The most hated game reviewer ever.. although I don't understand why.

Because he's a damn douchebag that shamelessly rips off EVERYTHING of AVGN and pretends he doesn't exist.... need I say more??

Also, very good topic and very popular one, I wonder why it wasn't posted before ;) . I also watch AVGN, Jontron, sometimes Game Sack, it's also interesting and also many more random ones I come across. Youtube reviews is something I watch more often than movies ;)

AVGN has ripped off irategamer as well, it's the nature of being a youtube reviewer. I still prefer irategamer as I find him more likable.

tappybot

Quote from: FamicomRetroGamer on October 16, 2014, 04:24:55 pm
James Rolfe on his Frankenstein made a very important point about the Sonic games: "You love going fast but sometimes you've gotta slowdown and pay attention to what's happening". This quote right here is why Sonic Lost World isn't all about speed and more so like a traditional platformer, which I really like.

Yeah. I don't know what it is.. I think he got burnt out on it, or got fed up with the fans and the community.. I can imagine it must be maddening to see people criticize you unendingly..  Who knows.

His old stuff was amazing. You could tell he was having a lot of fun with it.
Now it's like he's barely engaged in what he does.  Maybe his marriage is awful or something.. Maybe something killed him inside and he hasn't been the same since.

FamicomRetroGamer

Quote from: tappybot on November 01, 2014, 12:37:04 pm

Yeah. I don't know what it is.. I think he got burnt out on it, or got fed up with the fans and the community.. I can imagine it must be maddening to see people criticize you unendingly..  Who knows.

Now it's like he's barely engaged in what he does.  Maybe his marriage is awful or something.. Maybe something killed him inside and he hasn't been the same since.

Even on his Kickstarter scam failure he played the AVGN character which was back in 2012 and he nailed it but now he's done with it and he'll just be James Rolfe himself (AVGN never had sideburns plus they look horrible).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3-_N-iXa4A

Greg Pabitch was asking $65k and yet he lives in a mansion.. he obviously could've paid for it without asking for donations.

tappybot

Quote from: FamicomRetroGamer on November 01, 2014, 01:06:39 pm
Quote from: tappybot on November 01, 2014, 12:37:04 pm

Even on his Kickstarter scam failure he played the AVGN character which was back in 2012 and he nailed it but now he's done with it and he'll just be James Rolfe himself (AVGN never had sideburns plus they look horrible).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3-_N-iXa4A

Greg Pabitch was asking $65k and yet he lives in a mansion.. he obviously could've paid for it without asking for donations.

Oh I've never seen that. Thanks..
He played that alright.   

I haven't seen his feature film yet.. Did it deliver?

Shumi Nagaremono

I liked the AVGN movie.  It passed literally the ONLY litmus test I had for it, which was "Would the story hold up even without the AVGN character?"  The answer is a resounding "yes". 

The movie was quite good, had plenty of nods to movies and games of the past, and kept the "in-jokes" to a minimum.  For a first-time filmmaker with a limited budget (provided by the fans) it surpassed every one of my expectations. 

I kind of figured it would be more like the Channel Awesome cross-over movies, which are a lot of fun, but they're definitely "fan films".  The AVGN movie was an *actual* movie. 

On the topic of other YouTube Reviewers...

I didn't know until recently that the dude who quit his job by painting "I QUIT" on his chest and blasting Queen was the Nostaliga Critic.  I saw that video a long time before I started watching Channel Awesome stuff and just never made the connection.     

FamicomRetroGamer

It was awful I gave up watching it by the first 45mins due to being so stale, boring and repetitive (overused putrid jokes, unnecessary cursing, a military guy pretending to be half robot, etc). The script in its overall was mediocre, so it's not surprising all of it went to the shitter.

And to top it off James Rolfe uploaded his crappy E.T. review he did for the film and called it "AVGN Episode 121" which was really lazy because he lost all interest playing the character's role a long time ago already. If he can't be bothered then just retire his AVGN character and stick to "James & Mike Mondays".

By the way, Nostalgia Critic reviewed the film but since he did a cameo (of barely a few seconds) and he's close friend of James he didn't criticise it at all.

UglyJoe

Quote from: FamicomRetroGamer on November 03, 2014, 04:49:34 pm
overused putrid jokes, unnecessary cursing

Isn't that every AVGN video, though?

Shumi Nagaremono

Quote from: UglyJoe on November 03, 2014, 07:17:47 pm

It was certainly one of the hallmarks of the early videos.  The AVGN character could give Peter Capaldi a run for his money in the "creative swearing" department.   If anything, I think the movie toned *down* the cursing and toilet humor. 

I also dug that he uploaded the ET review.  I maintain that the movie was worth the digital rental price, but it was a nice gesture to give the review away for free. 

FamicomRetroGamer

Quote from: UglyJoe on November 03, 2014, 07:17:47 pm

After so long it became stale, boring and repetitive.

James' even has one of AVGN's episode with the ratings disabled because everyone kept disliking it due to the terrible toiler humour and this was before the crapfest of his film even came out.

zmaster18

I also watched the first half of the AVGN movie and had to stop. I always knew that it wouldn't be good, but oh my god... it was a little worse than I had imagined! The 'jokes' were horrible, I hated the villain guy, and nobody was actually able to act, except the older guy. The scenes never felt complete, they always feel too short and pointless. I wish James Rolfe would have spent more time on the actual writing.

Shumi Nagaremono

Quote from: zmaster18 on November 04, 2014, 05:17:07 pm
I also watched the first half of the AVGN movie and had to stop. I always knew that it wouldn't be good, but oh my god... it was a little worse than I had imagined! The 'jokes' were horrible, I hated the villain guy, and nobody was actually able to act, except the older guy. The scenes never felt complete, they always feel too short and pointless. I wish James Rolfe would have spent more time on the actual writing.

The second half gets kinda crazy with the homages to classic monster movies *and* 80's puppet-heavy cheese.  Seems kinda wasteful to give up halfway through a movie you paid to watch. 

NintendoKing

On a side note, everyone hopefully has seen "Ashens and the Quest for the Gamechild" but if not watch it on YouTube. It's awesome in contrast to the AVGN movie!

tappybot

I've been watching Ashens lately.  I haven't explored beyond his reviews of trashy toys and candy though. Sounds interesting.