The GameCube Adapter for Wii U only plays Super Smash Bros.

Started by FamicomRetroGamer, October 08, 2014, 06:47:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FamicomRetroGamer

Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on November 17, 2014, 10:47:39 pm
Quote from: zmaster18 on November 11, 2014, 03:02:07 am
You can also get Mario Kart 8, as well as Mario 3D World and Zelda HD. Also downloading NES Remix 1 + 2 as well as earthbound may be worth it to you. Although, if you were to choose between the WiiU and 3DS, the 3DS has more games obviously.  :)

The only thing listed here that I'm partly interested in is Mario Kart 8. I've been done with Zelda since Wind Waker and as far as Mario 3D World... I still haven't played New Super Mario Bros. :( I've been planning on getting a DSi for the longest time, but at this point I'm just going to skip straight to the 3DS.

By the way, what's Earthbound? Mother2? For the Wii U? ???

New Super Mario Bros. DS is really good I'm still playing it since I just recently finished World 8 and thank god, I now have the Save feature always available whereas before I'd be suckered into doing a world until I got to a castle and then save but now I don't have to any more.

Strangely I'm missing two worlds (4 and 6, I think) which I've gotta look into as to how I can unlock them

zmaster18

Ah, New Super Mario Bros. for DS was probably the best NSMB game, since it was the first. To get to those 2 worlds, simply beat the boss as mini-mario to unlock. NSMB Wii was good and had great new power ups, as well as 4 players at once. I'm not a huge fan of NSMB Wii U, because I felt like I was playing the same rehash of mario. I still haven't even played New Super Luigi yet, even though I own it. I also don't own New Super Mario Bros 2 on 3DS yet.

Super Mario 3D World on Wii U plays like Super Mario 3D Land on 3DS. Both games are FANTASTIC and really feel fresh and classic at the same time. I especially like the Wii U one, as it has an awesome jazzy soundtrack, great colorful worlds, plenty of variety, and also has 4 players at once. And who couldn't love the new Cat Mario suit?

FamicomRetroGamer

Quote from: zmaster18 on November 18, 2014, 09:39:49 am
Ah, New Super Mario Bros. for DS was probably the best NSMB game, since it was the first. To get to those 2 worlds, simply beat the boss as mini-mario to unlock. NSMB Wii was good and had great new power ups, as well as 4 players at once. I'm not a huge fan of NSMB Wii U, because I felt like I was playing the same rehash of mario. I still haven't even played New Super Luigi yet, even though I own it. I also don't own New Super Mario Bros 2 on 3DS yet.

Super Mario 3D World on Wii U plays like Super Mario 3D Land on 3DS. Both games are FANTASTIC and really feel fresh and classic at the same time. I especially like the Wii U one, as it has an awesome jazzy soundtrack, great colorful worlds, plenty of variety, and also has 4 players at once. And who couldn't love the new Cat Mario suit?

Thanks for the tip.

I've played both NSMB versions, i.e, DS and Wii U and I've gotta say that the DS definitely feels a lot more challenging, plus the graphics on the DS (playing on a DS Lite) look pretty nice to this day too.

FamicomRetroGamer

I got my standard Smash Wii U copy and the game has so much content  :o it goes from 437 songs to which all sound spectacular, graphics/detail/models are beautiful in HD, promotional videos / trailers are all there with crisp HD quality (unlike that crappy YouTube HD-compressed quality) and so much to do whether online or offline.

European Wii U Smashers will only be able to play online on November 28 (so I guess tonight's midnight) because before so it's only possible to play offline which is still awesome!

8-Player stage is totally nuts and comes to the point it's hard to tell where you are. lol

P.S.: I should receive my NGC Bundle tomorrow so I'll be trying out if any Wii U games work with the adapter (doubtful) other than Smash, I'm also thankful Nintendo's brought it back because playing Smash with the GamePad isn't exactly comfortable and you gotta keep recharging so considering this is a game your attention's on the screen you'll forget about the short battery and then you're lucked out.

zmaster18

I started playing the Wii U smash the other day. It's great so far, and I discovered that I really like using Marth. I also main as Luigi! I also find the 8-player smash to be very intense! On the large stages,  I spend the first few moments of the fight just figuring out which character is me.
I really don't like the Great Cave Offense stage, it's just way to big. I don't like how some stages are repeats (two Animal Crossing stages?) but overall I'm pretty satisfied. I may get a Luigi amiibo later on, but we'll see.

The Gamecube adapter is only for smash....Nintendo stated this already. Are they going to patch existing games to use it? Probably not. Nintendo is dumb like that.

FamicomRetroGamer

Quote from: zmaster18 on November 27, 2014, 04:15:29 pmThe Gamecube adapter is only for smash....Nintendo stated this already. Are they going to patch existing games to use it? Probably not. Nintendo is dumb like that.

The NGC adapter already works with Nintendont but let's see if we legit Wii U owners can get it to work with more than Smash, of course, this is entirely dependable of Nintendo's actions.

maxellnormalbias

Once people are able to run Wii U homebrew natively, someone will probably implement a system-wide driver to make games think a GC controller is a pro controller.

But yeah Nintendo wouldn't update it.

zmaster18

You never know. Nintendo released a wii remote + nunchuk patch for Pikmin 3 about a year after it was released. The controls in Pikmin 3 were a little problematic when using the Gamepad's analog stick to move AND to aim the cursor. I myself found it a little too sensitive. Now, one can simply move with the analog and point with the wiimote. When I replay that game, I'm going to try it out and maybe get that DLC while I'm at it.

So Nintendo may use the Gamecube adapter in like a year from now. Have hope!

tappybot

Quote from: zmaster18 on November 28, 2014, 11:34:49 am
You never know. Nintendo released a wii remote + nunchuk patch for Pikmin 3 about a year after it was released. The controls in Pikmin 3 were a little problematic when using the Gamepad's analog stick to move AND to aim the cursor. I myself found it a little too sensitive. Now, one can simply move with the analog and point with the wiimote. When I replay that game, I'm going to try it out and maybe get that DLC while I'm at it.

So Nintendo may use the Gamecube adapter in like a year from now. Have hope!

Wow, that wasn't in for a whole year?  Crazy.  I can't imagine playing the game without it.

FamicomRetroGamer

Got the adapter and works wonderfully with Smash Wii U, definitely much better than the GamePad that's for sure!

And... It only works with Smash Wii U. Who knows if in the future Nintendo will make it compatible with other games.

nintendodork

Bump. PSA: If you want a Gamecube controller adapter for your Wii U but don't want to pay inflated prices for an official one, buy this Mayflash one for about $20. http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-GameCube-Controller-Adapter-nintendo-u/dp/B00RSXRLUE/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

I can personally attest to its greatness. It does everything the official one would do AND it's compatible with PC as well.

Seriously, I was so happy when I found out about this and I've been playing Smash even more obsessively lately. I can't let it go under the radar.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

Zycrow

All of this makes me scratch my head. I've supported Nintendo via the 3DS, but the WiiU hardware all just seems so counter-intuitive. I half expect Nintendo's next controller to be, like, a touch screen with two N64 analogue sticks and a Virtual Boy viewport sticking out of the top. And they will release a special Gamecube controller that works with no games at all.
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18