Did I just break my Sega Saturn?

Started by Protoman, November 04, 2014, 03:03:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Protoman

I just came back from Japan, bought a Sega Saturn, and I just plugged it in with a simple plug adapter, but when pressing the power button, it did a fairly loud pop sound then turned off, now it won't turn on again at all.
Did the power do a powercut or whatever the word is that I'm looking for, or did the power part inside the Saturn just get burned and the console is broken?

Note, my Twin Famicom still works even though the power plug is still japanese, why does that work but not the Saturn?

Protoman

November 04, 2014, 03:11:54 pm #1 Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 03:30:56 pm by Protoman
I take that as a yes :(

How broken? Can the power part inside be replaced by a repair place or is the thing just junk now?

Post Merge: November 04, 2014, 03:30:56 pm

http://i.imgur.com/7tRfiQv.jpg

One part here broke, as I can see. Anyone know what is it?

zmaster18

That is a little ceramic capacitor. Maybe it will work if you can replace the part, or even get another sega saturn board to replace.

80sFREAK

Quote from: Protoman on November 04, 2014, 03:11:54 pm
I take that as a yes :(

How broken? Can the power part inside be replaced by a repair place or is the thing just junk now?

Post Merge: November 04, 2014, 03:30:56 pm

http://i.imgur.com/7tRfiQv.jpg

One part here broke, as I can see. Anyone know what is it?
I can see blown varistor and fuse, maybe also diode bridge, filter cap and whatever(transistor or chip) driving high voltage side.
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

P

Quote from: Protoman on November 04, 2014, 03:03:59 pm
Note, my Twin Famicom still works even though the power plug is still japanese, why does that work but not the Saturn?

It's probably not the original Japanese one but a universal one. Look, Sweden has 230 volt in wall outlets and Japan has 100 volt. A normal Japanese AC adapter is made to work properly only with 100v. The adapter you have for twin probably says something like 100-240v on the Input (or 入力 if it's in Japanese), meaning it can be used all over the world. You better read the Power FAQ sticky.