I can't open my SFC-cart (Rockman X)

Started by Highwind, November 05, 2014, 08:08:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Highwind

Hello everybody!  :o

Although I've unscrewed both front-screws of the cartridge, I still can't open it.
Have anyone of you experienced anything like this before? :S
I have been eating PANCAKE!  :o

L___E___T

You need to push in the two little tabs on the reverse of the cart, I think they're on the top (spine)?
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Highwind

November 05, 2014, 09:03:24 am #2 Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 09:17:29 am by Knebus
It's strange.
Cause I don't have to press the tabs on any of my other SNES or SFC-games. :S

Post Merge: November 05, 2014, 09:17:21 am

The first picture shows the two carts.
The Mario is easy to open. And the Rockman X is close to impossible to open.

This other picture shows the differences of the cartridges, look at the of the backside of the screwholes.
Any ideas?

L___E___T

Ooooh I see, weird.  I'll see if I have any carts like that.  I'm sure they can be opened.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

P

It looks like the Rockman X cart has indentions so it becomes a universal cart. Look if it looks like if it's made of the same plastic as other SFC carts.

Highwind

November 05, 2014, 10:25:06 am #5 Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 12:06:23 pm by Knebus
I think my Rockman & Forte-cart is made of the same kind of plastic. But the back of it doesn't have those strange backside-screwthingys as my Rockman X. :(

Post Merge: November 05, 2014, 12:06:23 pm

Although I can't open it up, to clean it, I managed to test it in my PAL SNES (Limited to just play one staged though)
At it functions good. :)

MaxXimus

Something about that screams bootleg. I even have an SFC bootleg with those same notches and an official one with those notches cut out.

P

Yeah it shouldn't work in a PAL SNES (not due to the notches of course, but due to the lockout chip). I bet it's pirate.

It probably has tabs like LET said that makes it hard to open. Can you open half of it with the screws gone?

Highwind

When I put it into my PAL SNES a text shows up on the screen saying that it's not supposed to be played on a PAL-version of the SNES.
After a few seconds the title screen shows up and I can start the game.
But after that I beat the first level the game automatically resets.
And if I use a password the game resets after I've cleared a level.

No, I can't open anything. :P

Pikkon

Looks like it's glued shut.
The notches means it will work just fine on a unmodified US snes.

If you can get it open I would love to see the pcb.

Highwind

Which notch? The ones on the backside of the screw holes?
Wanna take a pick of your US-SNES where those notches would fit?

Haha, I'd love too!
But since I successfully got it started on my European-SNES I won't have to open it up to give it a good clean I'm afraid. :P
I could sell it to you though. :D

P

At the bottom of the backside part there are two notches that are not supposed to be there (there are two screw holes there on your Super Mario World cart). These notches are usually only on US cart shells and is the only thing that prevents a Japanese game to work on a US machine as Pikkon says.

Highwind