March 29, 2024, 07:44:10 am

Virtual Boy Mod idea....

Started by mario_bro2065, November 06, 2014, 12:43:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mario_bro2065

Just some crazy idea I had... don't know if it would work or not. But sense alot of people said that the red and black leds in the Virtual Boy annoyed them why not just replace the leds with black and white ones like the Game Boy? Or blue and black, or whatever COLOR. It would just be cool. I don't know how to do that stuff but THAT MIGHT WORK!

NintendoKing

Near impossible to do as the LED's are too small and would require a microscope and expert soldering skills.

L___E___T

I wish we could have seen a colour, GBA power piece of kit like the Virtual Boy.  Would have been awesome.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

zmaster18

Man I miss having a VB. I had got one for an incredible deal (almost nothing) with all the accessories, but unfortunately had to sell it after a few weeks of owning it.  :(  The games I had were very frustrating to play unfortunately, but the 3D effect was pretty awesome. I would like to get another Virtual Boy when I can afford it.

mario_bro2065

Quote from: zmaster18 on November 06, 2014, 05:28:40 pm
Man I miss having a VB. I had got one for an incredible deal (almost nothing) with all the accessories, but unfortunately had to sell it after a few weeks of owning it.  :(  The games I had were very frustrating to play unfortunately, but the 3D effect was pretty awesome. I would like to get another Virtual Boy when I can afford it.

They cost so much now!  >:(

NintendoKing

They are even more expensive if you have one with soldered screens, and both mine are like that.

mario_bro2065

Why not just replace the screen with a pre-built one with different color leds?

zmaster18

Mine had the visor, stand(not cracked), controller with AC adapter, and Telleroboxer, Mario's Tennis, and World Series Baseball or whatever. It even came with a Black Gamecube and gamecube LAN adapter, which I sold after. It basically came out to being free. I think I sold all the VB stuff for $150. If I tried to get another complete VB setup, it would be at least $100. I only want to buy it complete because of how hard it is to find the visor, stand, and AC adapter separately.

Telleroboxer was the game I wanted the most, because it is the perfect virtual reality game on the VB. However, this game is sooo friggin tough. So cool, yet so not fun  >:(

One of the displays was starting to glitch up, so I tried the hairdrier trick on the ribbon cables. It lasted a few days, but started glitching again. I would totally do the soldering method if I had the right tool.

And I don't know of any replacement VB displays that are in different color LEDs.

L___E___T

Quote from: mario_bro2065 on November 07, 2014, 11:49:48 am
Why not just replace the screen with a pre-built one with different color leds?

There are very small LEDs and mirrors that reflect those LEDs at very fast speeds.  I can't imagine it'd be easy to find an equivalent screen.

Even then, you'd have to have the computer talk to the screen in 3 many more than the 4 shades it currently uses.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。