Russian Roulette... It's Finished!

Started by Jedi Master Baiter, November 17, 2014, 10:56:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxXimus

This is awesome! I really like the style. I would totally play this so I hope you release it when you're done! I tried making a game in RPG Maker 95 a long ass time ago and never really got too far in terms of functionality of it. It is a fun and challenging experience for sure. I even tried learning Visual Basic (6.0 at the time) but didn't get too far in it either. I made some cool little apps though.

Nightstar699

My only suggestion? Changing the title to "Rush'n Roulette".
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

M-Tee

Quote from: fcgamer on November 19, 2014, 07:13:01 am
Looks great, for a minute I thought "Can't wait to play this on Famicom" until I saw that it was a PC game.  ;D

There is a Russian Roulette homebrew which supports the zapper. Although, it appears to be text-based.

P

If by text-based you mean it has only text and no cool graphics. You play it with the controller and/or a light gun. It's probably the only Zapper game that works on an LCD TV (since it never checks where the gun aims at).

Quote from: MaxXimus on November 23, 2014, 05:24:47 pm
This is awesome! I really like the style. I would totally play this so I hope you release it when you're done! I tried making a game in RPG Maker 95 a long ass time ago and never really got too far in terms of functionality of it. It is a fun and challenging experience for sure. I even tried learning Visual Basic (6.0 at the time) but didn't get too far in it either. I made some cool little apps though.

RPG Maker 95 now that brings back memories! RPG Maker series is what got me into programming. I learned basic programming logic by just playing around with RPG maker and checking other peoples' games without realizing it. When I started with real programming I noticed that it was easier for me since I already knew how to think compared to total beginners.

macbee

It looks fantastic Jedi QuestMaster! Can't wait for the final product!

Jedi Master Baiter

So more than a year later I finally have it done. (I work full time, please forgive me!)

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sXgJauYdMw

Here is the EXE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82042602/russian_roulette1.1.zip

Changes:

• original music

• title screen doesn't read Deer Hunter anymore

• each character now has two death expressions / animations

• high score is saved

• demonstration screen

• characters now blink

• a couple easter eggs:
    Spoiler
    wait long enough after the first round or play around with the keys
    [close]

Sadly, no betting mode. :( I had to see this project to completion.

zmaster18

P

Game Maker 5.0 he said. How did you make the sound though?

Anyway it looks and sounds great! It really feels like a Famicom game.

MWK

That is really AWESOME Jedi, it literally begs for a Famicom release :crazy: GJ!

edit:: INTENDON   :pow:

Jedi Master Baiter

Quote from: P on February 01, 2016, 01:03:54 am
Game Maker 5.0 he said. How did you make the sound though?

The sound effects were recreated using NSFImport on NSFs with sound effects (like Hogan's Alley, Pinball, Track & Field II, and other stuff), and then logged as WAVs.

The music was done in FamiTracker. I used NSFImport to see how the music was done in Hogan's Alley and created my instruments in the same manner.

I used XGM Amp in order to playback NSFs in Game Maker. If you open the directory of the EXE while the game is playing, you'll see the NSFs

Quote from: MWK on February 01, 2016, 01:04:47 pm
That is really AWESOME Jedi, it literally begs for a Famicom release :crazy: GJ!

I'm going to post this at NESDev and see if anyone would like to pick it up. Wish me luck! *fingers crossed*

NintendoKing

March 05, 2016, 05:04:04 am #26 Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 05:45:51 am by The Uninvited Gremlin
Add a find a challenger mode where after you beat someone you walk around a bar and communicate asking them if they want to play. If they say no then you force them to (you friend comes behind them with a gun.)  which starts the next round. Also you could add a money gaining part after winning a round which allows you to win loyalty from the bar (but if you die you wake up in a hospital and have two continues - the money you won pays for your bills).

After 10 rounds, if the challenger is still alive they should try to escape from fear but you should hold a gun at them and say "The games not over."
:)

Jedi Master Baiter

An NES/Famicom ROM has finally seen completion:

https://youtu.be/mkM2Kra9QQA
http://www.romhacking.net/homebrew/88/

There's even a label for a cart production (but it's NES):

http://fav.me/daklqsp

Anyone savvy enough to create a Famicom label?

GreenKoopa

Wow, what a great achievement! You have definitely captured the feel of a famicom era game. 

How long did it take for you to make the original game on game maker? Also, how long did it take to convert to a nes/famicom rom and how did you do this?