Have SNES to NES controller adapters - Any way to mod a controller for turbo?

Started by XC-3730C, November 29, 2014, 06:35:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

XC-3730C

I have a couple of SNES to NES controller adapters so I can use SNES controllers on my AV Famicom. SNES Y = NES B, and SNES B = MES A/

I want to know if  a SNES controller can be modified so SNES X = NES turbo B, and SNES A = NES turbo A?

maxellnormalbias

If it has any firmware you could probably re-flash it. But if you're willing to do that you could just modify a 9-pin pirate controller with turbo buttons.

XC-3730C

I was wondering if the SNES X could be on the same data path as SNES Y, and SNES A could be on the same data path as SNES B (effectively having 2 NES A and B buttons in my case)?

P

Should be possible but I'm not knowledgeable in electronics and don't know exactly how these controllers work. Turbo controllers use an oscillator that is set up in such a way that it periodically toggles the button on and off at a certain frequency. You need some electronic skills to design such a circuit of course.

number47

Yes, it's possible to create a turbo controller. You have to desolder one 4021ic from your snes gamepad or cut some traces if you have a third party globtop-type of gamepad. Then you have to construct and fit in a 555 timer rapidfire oscillator.

This tutorial is for mouse, but can be used in gamepads also.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Add-a-rapid-fire-button-to-your-mouse-using-a-555-/