Just got a Subor D30

Started by maxellnormalbias, December 13, 2014, 08:10:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

maxellnormalbias

I just got a subor D30 off of Ali Express.

I have some questions:

- Does it come with a 110V/60Hz AC adapter? I can't use 220V/50Hz because I don't live in China.

- I already have a cartridge, so I don't need one. But does it come with one?

- Is it at PAL or NTSC speed?

Thanks!

number47

It's PAL speed. And the power-cube is only 220V. You can use older Megadrive/Genesis adapter. Must be negative centre.

maxellnormalbias

Wait, it's PAL? Are you talking about the red Famicom-looking subor or this one that I got:

L___E___T

My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

maxellnormalbias

Crap. I might have to replace the crystal then, it's a NOAC clone, I thought they were all 60Hz-speed.

number47

They have universal CPU/PPU. You have to replace the oscillator and adjust one jumper to make it PAL or NTSC. If you are good friends with soldering iron, flux and solder then you can pop in a few switches, wires and an extra oscillator for NTSC speed so afterwards you can choose your mode like snap.

chowder

Quote from: number47 on December 15, 2014, 01:00:39 pm
They have universal CPU/PPU. You have to replace the oscillator and adjust one jumper to make it PAL or NTSC. If you are good friends with soldering iron, flux and solder then you can pop in a few switches, wires and an extra oscillator for NTSC speed so afterwards you can choose your mode like snap.

Apologies for the necropost, but does anyone happen to know where the jumper is on the Subor D30 for PAL/NTSC?  I spotted a couple of points that look like they could be bridged during a quick look, I can post pictures later.

This thing is hilariously lightweight and cheap feeling, but the picture quality is actually pretty good :)  Nice little machine, for a NOAC based Famiclone that cost $20 shipped.

chowder

Ugh, that took a while, no free time these days!

Anyway, here are some pictures.  It's your typical gutless Chinese wonder - it weighs almost nothing, and it looks like they hacked the PCB apart with a blunt saw :crazy:  Despite this, I really like it.  The picture quality is very, very good.

I spied a couple of jumper points just to the left of the NOAC blob in the pics...  So, does anyone know if I can mod this to NTSC?

fcgamer

You probably can.  Ask Prince Tomato, he is the Subor expert in these parts ;)

On another note, I think they probably made an NTSC version of this clone too.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

chowder

Thanks, I'll send him a PM if he doesn't chime in :)

I found this thread, looking at the traces it's most likely that I just need to bridge the points shown.  And change the crystal:

http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=11424.0

If I get time tomorrow I might give it a try, it'll be easy to reverse if it doesn't work.

Yeah, I did think there might be NTSC versions available, but extracting accurate information from mostly clueless sellers is quite challenging ;)