How far can you get in...

Started by maxellnormalbias, January 01, 2015, 06:06:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

maxellnormalbias

In this thread, you can brag about how many of dem aleinz you can shoot in dem vidja gaemz.

Seriously though, just list some games and how far you can get in them.

Super Mario Bros.: I can get to world 5-3 without warp zones, but if I use my make-shift "save feature" (if you've already gotten to the world, you can use a warp zone to go there) I can get to world 7-3.

Contra: I can beat level 1 without the konami code but I die way too much on the base levels, so with the konami code (or "Contra 30P" in my multicart's menu) I can ALMOST beat the level 3 boss. Keep in mind there's no continue-ing going on here.

Spartan X: I suck, only about half way past floor 2.

Those are the games I played yesterday and today. I also checked out Gun Nac, and died on the first level boss, but all in all it was an interesting game.

M-Tee

My wife and I play a lot of Nuts & Milk. I can make it to level 12, but not consistently.

I really wish that the multiplayer alternated after each stage completed or death instead of just at death though.

maxellnormalbias

Hmm. Nuts and milk, I can barely play...  :crazy: :gamer:

Anyways. I started playing Contra and realized that beating it with the code and continues is pretty much trivial. With continues I got to Stage 6 before thinking "lolwat, I suck at this game, I'm using 30P and so many continues". Without continues I got to stage 4. Bases are hard! Why can't they just use a top down view instead of using their weird 3d perspective that throws you off?

Nightstar699

You know you can press "down" (as in, on the D-pad) to dodge every single bullet on the base levels, correct? And then for the barrels, just blast away at them and they're toast.

For Famicom, I have perfected (I.E., consistent) no-death runs of the following:

Contra
Ninja Gaiden*
Ninja Gaiden III*
Kabuki Quantum Fighter
Shadow of the Ninja
Whomp 'Em
Dragon Fighter
Solbrain/Shatterhand
Batman: Return of the Joker
Ninja Crusaders

And then many others as well, but these are ones that people commonly cite as hard games so I guess I'm proud of them. I can no-death Castlevania on a good day... I can also 1CC Bucky O'Hare consistently, but that's one I, sadly, don't think I'll ever learn to no death, some of the traps in that game are just designed to take multiple tries. At least that's what it feels like.

*Wish I could put Ninja Gaiden II on there as well, but... I really suck against the final boss of that game. (The form where acid drops from above... I swear that's the only part I die there.)

Edit: And, while it's not Famicom, I figure I'd mention that I recently got into Hagane for Super Famicom. Every one always claims this to be a hard game (hell, I saw multiple YouTube "top xx hardest SNES games" lists that placed it at number one) yet I learned to no-death run it the same night I got it. That being said, it's easily one of most intense and stimulating games I played. Easily in my top 5 for SNES, if not for all of video games.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

senseiman

I have played a lot of Nuts and Milk with my wife too, I don`t think we`ve ever made it to level 12, though I can`t remember off the top of my head how far we got.  We also played through Yume Penguin Monogatari all the way through taking turns together.

Lode Runner can be a bit of a challenge once you get past the first 7 or 8 levels, I can`t remember how far we got on that one. 

Bob-Bob

I really need to get me a wife to play 2-player games with.  :P

- About a week ago I made it all the way to the final boss in Dragon Buster, but then I lost.
- I made it to world 8 in King Kong 2, but then I gave up after accidentally dying.
- I've made it to the Final Zone in Atlantis no Nazo, but since I lost the Star power-up I couldn't actually beat it.
- I've come very very close to beating Challenger, but somehow I missed the one cave that had the third treasure by the time I made it to Scene 4.
- I've beaten Konami Wai Wai World, thanks to grinding for bullets then writing down the password.  ;)
- If I remember right, I've made it as far as Block 8 in Akuma-jō Densetsu (Castlevania III) and of course I decided to be a cheap bastard and take Grant the whole way through.  :-[
- I've made it to Mission 3 in Double Dragon, but I always lose at the cave section.
- I've nearly beaten Double Dragon II.
- I can beat Super Mario Bros. all eight worlds no problem.
- As soon as I got my Famicoms I put on Super Mario Bros. 3 and beat it the whole way through, on an empty stomach no less!
- I made it all the way up to Round 8 on the Famicom version of Battletoads without dying. I can't remember if I made it past Round 9.
- I spent about 4 hours and several hundred lives making it up to round 7-3 in Adventure Island, but then I slipped and forgot to hold left as I pressed start to continue.  :'(
- I've made it to the water level in Astro Robo SASA, but naturally I always lose there.
- Not too long ago I made it to the 4th round in Spartan X.
- I've come close to beating Super Chinese.
- I almost beat DuckTales with the full amount of money, but then I got a Game Over on the Moon level.  :(
- I've made it to the 5th loop in Donkey Kong Jr.

I'll post more when I think of more.

P

I was good at Donkey Kong and Pacman when I was a kid but now I'm out of shape.

-I can easily beat SMB1, SMUSA and SMB3 without warping.
-I've beaten SMB2j first quest (I've beaten the second quest on SNES but I think that version is easier, not to mention saving).
-I've beaten Salamander as a kid, but couldn't do it last time I tried.
-I beat everyone before Super Macho Man without a problem in Punch Out. I usually beat him too with a few black eyes.
-I easilly beat Duck Tales.
-Ninja Gaiden is easy until final stage were I always die.
-I used to beat Spartan X several times as a kid.
-I came quite far in Ice Climbers.
-I know Zelda II inside and out, maybe I should try a no death run on the NES version (Famicom version is hard).
-I came to the snake level in Battletoads. I think I beat it too but I don't remember what comes after that.
-I can beat Rockman 1, 2 and 3 without much trouble. The later games I haven't played as much.
-I came pretty far in Solomon no Kagi (level 40-something).
-I'm pretty decent at Eggerland games.
-I can beat Fire Emblem without (too much) reloading. These kind of games just gets easier with the years.

Almost no shooting games, I suck at those. I think I should do some special training.

kevkevkev

Apart from stage 4 boss and last boss approach i can do holy diver ok. But its probably my hardest game where i cant blame the controls.

zmaster18

Let's see what games I'm good at:

-I can beat all 32 levels in Super Mario Bros. every time I play it without game over. I don't like warping, I always complete all stages!
-I can beat Super C without using the cheat for 10lives
-I usually beat Castlevania without dying once

I can't really think of anything else.... I'm pretty average when it comes to skill :P

maxellnormalbias

So I suck! Yay!  :D /s

But anyways, you guys are really good at games IMO.

number47

Contra  - I can get to Snowfield (stage 5) with no hits and then lose all my lives pretty quickly. With Konami code - no problem this level takes about 12 lives  ;D

Double Dragon II - no hits

RRThielNC

Well, let's see...

-I've 100% beaten Rockman 4MI in under an hour. Wether that counts is up to you, I guess.
-I've gotten to Stage 4 in Contra, but only upon using the Konami Code.
-I beat Mr. Gimmick with the best ending.
-I beat Recca on normal difficulty. I can't for the life of me beat Hard Mode.
-I beat Kirby's Adventure twice.

Other than that, I'm not very good at games.
ユーアークール!

nerdynebraskan

I can knock out Super Macho Man in the first round of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! I've done it several times where he didn't lay a finger on me.

I've beaten Mega Man 2 (and possibly MM3) without using special weapons. (Except where they're mandatory, like the Wily bosses that are immune to the Mega Buster or there's a spot in the Spark Man doc-robot stage in MM3 where there's an enemy above you on the only ladder up and you have to blast him with Gemini Laser or Shadow Blade to get past. Otherwise, you get knocked down and have to play it over and over.)

I can beat Contra without the Konami code, and I think I've done it at least a handful of times without continuing. Snow Field, Hangar, and Energy Zone are the only levels with any difficulty to them. The Alien Lair is absurdly easy after playing through those three, and all of the game's bosses are pushovers. The tall robot was the only one I ever had real trouble with. You have to be very careful jumping over him, because if you're a little short you touch him and die.

I've beaten Lode Runner for the NES challenge thread at Nintendo Age the last couple of years. I honestly didn't think the last levels were that much harder than the first few. I beat it in one sitting this year.

I'm pretty good at the Mario games too, but why even brag about those? They're so easy. (Except for SMB2J, of course.)
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

synt4x

Hmm well I can beat RAF World and Gimmick (good ending) with one life on a good day.

maxellnormalbias

I got to 4-2 on Ninja Ryukenden a week ago. I forgot about this thread!