April 23, 2024, 05:56:08 pm

FM TOWNS discussion

Started by 1983parrothead, January 03, 2015, 01:07:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

1983parrothead

Anyone have an FM TOWNS computer? I just got one and when I turn it on, it auto turns off moments later. Does that mean a step-up/step-down converter is required?

P

Could just be bad AC adapter. Where are you at?

1983parrothead

1983parrothead

You from North Korea? I'm talking about the United State Georgia.

L___E___T

January 04, 2015, 10:52:49 am #4 Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 11:03:17 am by L___E___T
Why would you think P is from the DRPK?  That little Swedish flag and Sweden label next to it should give you a clue where P is from.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

1983parrothead

My apologies.  I thought I saw a North Korean flag next to her username.

L___E___T

No apology necessary - there was a mystery post that is now deleted that explains all :D
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

P

I see, it wasn't me.

Anyway people from USA often don't use step-downs for Japanese devices so you are probably fine.
What does it say on the power supply unit?

P

Yes it's fine to use in USA (some people like to use a step-down anyway to prolong the life of it).

The PSU is integrated, if that is the culprit I'm not sure how you can find replacement parts.

1983parrothead

I'm sure it was so advanced for its time that it has a built-in heat detection to automatically shut down.

Pikkon

1983parrothead

1983parrothead

*bump*

I need some way to record straight from the FM TOWNS computer to my PC using the ION VCR 2 PC converter. After doing some numerous research, I heard that if you hook up a DB-15 Analog RGB to something like RCA, it will destroy the Analog RGB port of the FM TOWNS unit.

I also found Sanyo brand step down converters on eBay, 1000 watts for approximately $60. Are they worth it?

Retrospectives

It is highly unlikely that the current is causing your issues. A re-cap is probably your best choice, so you either remove it and let someone re-cap it for you, or you could do it yourself. Capacitors are very cheap components and it is a very simple operation once you get a hang of it. If you don't know anyone who can do it for you, then arcade forums is a good choice since those guys do these re-caps and such things on a regular basis (Much more often than the people on regular gaming forums i would say).

Good luck!