Trying to use a 70-pin adapter to play Star Tropics - no picture!

Started by northbydefault, January 08, 2015, 02:35:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

northbydefault

I've been collecting for the Famicom for a while now, but I've been itching to play NA-exclusive Star Tropics. I decided to bite on a 72-60 pin adapter from a stateside seller on eBay. Now, I know when you're playing Famicom games on an NES via that adapter, the cart has to be facing backwards otherwise it wont work. do I need to do the same thing here? Regardless, I'm not getting any picture; just a yellow screen as if there's nothing in the console. Does anyone know if this particular adapter is good quality? Maybe I got a bad egg, i dunno. But I tried it with a different NES game and I had the same issue: no picture.

Any tips would be great!
everything i touch turns to sold

maxellnormalbias

northbydefault

yea, still no picture. i cracked open the case to look inside; contacts are clean and the soldering (while slightly messy) looks fine. i'm baffled!

EDIT: so it turns out that the adapter itself is backwards inside of its case! And I cant even flip the board because the screwholes dont match up. So that means if I want to play any NES game I have to play with a naked board in my console. Wow.
everything i touch turns to sold

maxellnormalbias

lwizardl

nice to see someone else got carts (in your case the converter) with pcb mounted backwards.

Also awesome that you was able to figure it out so you can play star tropics  :)