Odd Famicom problems...

Started by S. P. Sour, January 18, 2015, 03:01:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

S. P. Sour

Hello I am new to this forum, excuse any weirdness
So, my Famicom is a bit weird. It will run games, but... the colors are mainly B&W, sound is absent a lot of the time, the picture is wavy and static-y, and in all games the main game is unplayable.
In Gundam Hot Scramble(here in B&W), the title music plays, but the main game cuts off parts of the screen, picture is vvery wwavvy, sound is gone, and is unplayable
In Namco Family Circuit(again B&W), the menus work (although they're useless to me as I know no Japanese[great idea, get a Famicom and Super Famicom...]), but once I start a race, after a second of driving, the screen is too wavy and distorted to be playable, and the sound disappears.
Other games don't even work.
As I only have 4 games, the possibility is there that there is some corruption, but the symptoms are similar enough that I think it's the console. Also, I think Family Circuit was tested\working when I bought it.
The problem is not my TV, as my Super Famicom works just fine on it.
I think the problem maaay be the PPU? Not sure.
Please help!
The problem may be clarified soon - I should be receiving a working FDS with SMUSA\Tennis.
Thanks! ;D
[end post] [begin signature]
Proud owner of NES, Famicom, FDS, Super Famicom, Virtual Boy
Also I am Homestuck trash

number47

Maybe your RF modulator of RF Switch is bad? Try "shaking" trimmer caps.

fredJ

Quote from: S. P. Sour on January 18, 2015, 03:01:25 pm
Hello I am new to this forum, excuse any weirdness

The problem is not my TV, as my Super Famicom works just fine on it.

What does this mean?
Is your famicom AV modded or do you run your SFC console with antenna cable?
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

S. P. Sour

January 19, 2015, 07:43:12 pm #3 Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 08:32:16 pm by S. P. Sour
@1: I think I will try that, but I doubt it will work. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the "trimmer caps," but I'll just jiggle whatever's there. (An alternative method of testing might be to try and use the RF switch with the otherwise working SFC - or is there fault in that idea?)
@2: I meant like in case it wouldn't work with an NTSC TV. I believe I use AV with my SFC, and my regular FC is not AV-modded.

Edit: I have tried the following combinations:
SFC-NESRF-TV2-bad
SFC-FCRF-TV2-bad
SFC-AV-TV2-good
NES-FCRF-TV1-good
NES-NESRF-TV1-good
FC-FCRF-TV1-bad
FC-NESRF-TV1-bad
Interestingly, the bad results for the SFC were nigh identical to the Famicom's symptoms. Adding to that, all the bad results were from a JP console using RF. Perhaps the problem may be the TVs. Do Famicoms require a JP TV when using RF?
I am not going to AV mod my FC.

Edit2: I now have gotten it working? No idea how. I got the switch stuck between channel 1 and channel 2 on the console, and suddenly everything works perfectly!
Thanks for your help anyway.
[end post] [begin signature]
Proud owner of NES, Famicom, FDS, Super Famicom, Virtual Boy
Also I am Homestuck trash