Twin Famicom controller issue

Started by yirmiahu72, January 21, 2015, 10:19:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

yirmiahu72

So I recently acquired a Twin Famicom that was supposed to have been tested and working.

But the controller is not working right. The game starts by itself like the start button is continually pressed. It moves and jumps by itself.
Sometimes the game pauses and then starts again. The buttons on the controller don't seem to do anything.

I'm going to see if I can get my money back on this, but in the meantime I was wondering if anybody knows of a fix for this besides getting another controller and
sticking it in expansion A. If that would even work at this point.

It's lame cause it seems to work great otherwise.

Frank_fjs

The internals of the controllers are pretty simple, just take it apart a d see if it needs a good clean or perhaps even some new rubber pads.

The controller can be swapped over too if necessary, they plug into the main pcb you just need to take the cover off the console.

yirmiahu72

I did take it apart.

The controller plugs on the pcb are different. One has five prongs and the other has six. So you can't switch between the two.
I took apart the controller casing too and it seemed like nothing was broken inside.

When I put a game in it starts automatically like the start button was pressed. Then the player starts moving to left and jumping without any pressing
of the controller buttons. Sometimes the d pad will pause the game. If I unplug the controller from the pcb it stops, but then starts again as soon I plug it back in.
I don't think it would be the pads on the controller causing this. It looks pretty clean to me.

I'm wondering if it's the pcb itself or if it's the controller. I don't want to waste time getting a famicom pad for the expansion if it's not going to work.

number47

First clean the PCB inside the controller with isopropyl alcohol or ammonia (do not inhale). Seems to be a short in start button region. To be safe clean all the button bases and rubber pads.

2A03

If all else fails you could always mod the Twin with NES controller ports. It's fairly easy to do as well and you could still salvage the original controllers by replacing the cable.

Retrospectives

All buttons correspond to the normal layout of  an original red/white Famicom console so if you would like to play McGyver then just switch the PCB to a working one, cut the cables and shrink tube 'em (in the non-visible area).

hvc01

May 18, 2015, 06:14:19 am #6 Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 06:25:03 am by hvc01
http://i.imgur.com/C1O3upL.jpg

does you board have the black wire on it?

twin fami x2 i own and this one in the picture have the wire on it.

another twin fami i own doesn't have it.

fredJ

If you unplug the controller, does the game still move by itself?
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com