Welcome to our ebay store: retrospectives2000

Started by Retrospectives, January 30, 2015, 08:41:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

XiTaU

whats the deal with the crab do they come included?

prince tomato

i was kinda counting on the crab being part of the deal,
to defend my pirate carts from intruders and PayPal and stuff.

Retrospectives

Quote from: XiTaU on February 09, 2015, 05:46:41 am
whats the deal with the crab do they come included?

It's the crab boss Clawgrip from Super Mario USA who popped out of the cart while we tested that particular board, and he simply refused to let go of the PCB (Luckily no scratched up lanes).  ;)

prince tomato

o.k, but will he deal with intruders and tax auditors and the like when they come after my  :coin: :coin: :coin: :coin:?

Retrospectives

He told me that he used to work as a bouncer so i would suppose that there would be some "dynamite" in his claws, so to speak.  ;D

fcgamer

Yikes!  $45 for a loose Micro Genius 1000, not even controllers included?  Just...wow.   :upsetroll:   :o 

For those that don't know, the MG 1000 + MG 2000 models were quite popular (and common) in these parts, and are also fairly unreliable these days to boot.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

prince tomato

i get your point Dave, but in all fairness,
most discrete clones, my Pegasus, Dendy, an Micro Genius are at an age now where the capacitors are starting to go bad,
resulting in jailbars and sound issues,
also, on some individual consoles i have, the shielding isn't great, which causes the same issues.
so i personally think it's great that these are available now,
new and not really at a bad price imho.
replace the guts of any old noac clone with this and you are good to go for another decade or two.
for people like me and others in Europe quality clones are hard to get locally, almost impossible,
and the real Dendy's an Pegasussessuss... Pegasi... whatever are highly collectable now and very expensive,
a lot more expensive than this.

fcgamer

Patrick,

The clones that I am looking at are clearly used, which can be seen from the scratches on them, etc.  Unless the guy is replacing all of the internals (I doubt it), I am just not sure where the value is here.  Case in point, I had a bunch of these I couldn't even give away here, at cost of shipping, and now someone is selling them for $45+ a piece.  To me it is just craziness, and the price does not seem fair at all, given the cost that these can be had for.

The real Dendy and Pegasus stuff are just mainly MG stuff that has been rebranded. 

People can pay what they want for items, and I don't wish the seller any bad intentions, but I hate to see it when people "get taken" for what amounts to as highway robbery, imo.

Quote from: prince tomato on February 09, 2015, 09:04:27 pm
i get your point Dave, but in all fairness,
most discrete clones, my Pegasus, Dendy, an Micro Genius are at an age now where the capacitors are starting to go bad,
resulting in jailbars and sound issues,
also, on some individual consoles i have, the shielding isn't great, which causes the same issues.
so i personally think it's great that these are available now,
new and not really at a bad price imho.
replace the guts of any old noac clone with this and you are good to go for another decade or two.
for people like me and others in Europe quality clones are hard to get locally, almost impossible,
and the real Dendy's an Pegasussessuss... Pegasi... whatever are highly collectable now and very expensive,
a lot more expensive than this.

Post Merge: February 09, 2015, 10:03:59 pm

Oh, and Patrick...I remember having seen some of these very same MG units new here, boxed.  I passed them up at one point due to funds, but I think I know where I can still get them.  If I ever do manage to grab the boxed ones, you can gladly have my loose ones for $10 - $15.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

prince tomato

my bad, i just saw the used clones,
not too bad either.
but in my comment i was (mistakenly) referring to the DIY 8 bit boards,
i ordered one to see what it performs like compared to my older clones.
fingers crossed, i have high hopes for this one.
;D

aarkay14

Hi retrospective!

I wish you could add to your store stuff like clear cases/shells for NES cartridges and famicom cartridges... As you are based in china I guess you will have access to them.
-Rama

prince tomato

there is a seller on Aliexpress that selles FC cart shells,
very flimsy ones you find on cheap bootleg carts though...
a better quality version would be nice.

NES cartridge shells,
those would be very handy indeed.

Retrospectives

February 09, 2015, 10:37:55 pm #26 Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 12:31:00 am by Retrospectives
Quote from: fcgamer on February 09, 2015, 06:10:48 pm
Yikes!  $45 for a loose Micro Genius 1000, not even controllers included?  Just...wow.   :upsetroll:   :o 

For those that don't know, the MG 1000 + MG 2000 models were quite popular (and common) in these parts, and are also fairly unreliable these days to boot.

Then i would suggest you to take a look at sold auctions on Ebay for glob-top famiclones which compability is a lot lower than for any real famiclone or original Famicom and tell me how much they were sold for.

Also, could you please give me a source where it clearly states that these hardware famiclones are unreliable? Rather if you Google it, you will come up that the fact that most of these clones are a very good complement to the original hardware and if you do want to get further into the discussion, what makes these famiclones worse to boot than the Famicom? The components are clearly not of particulary worse quality than the Famicom, the connectors are clearly not worse, the PPU...sure, in all honesty, one or another capacitor might have been of lower quality, but other than that, what makes it "fairly unrealiable" is totally out of my knowledge.

I agree in one part though, that these consoles are more common here in the region than in the west. Why? Why is the NES more common in the west and sold at approx five time the market value in general if you can find one from a seller around here? (I have sources). Why is the Famicom system priced at a much higher price Internationally than in Japan (I am Japanese so i know very well how much you have to pay up for a used Famicom at for example hard off and it aint a fraction of what people here are selling used Famicom systems for).

Micro Genius used their own branded main components which cannot be swapped with the UMC components which the majority of the hardware famiclones used.

So in all fairness, there are very many aspects to consider, so please try to kepp that in mind and thank you for the input.  :) Have a nice day and happy spring festival if you are staying in TW!  :D Edit: I apologize if i might have sound a bit harsh, i just think it is not fair to call it robbery since we are not forcing anyone to buy anything and that we strongly believe that if something is totally overpriced then we of course would consider to lower our prices but nothing indicates that we are taking out "robbery" prices for our products which is why we want to be as close to our customers as possible and therefore we are always willing to discuss things. Anyway, thanks for your understanding.  :)

Post Merge: February 09, 2015, 10:42:10 pm

Quote from: aarkay14 on February 09, 2015, 10:15:02 pm
Hi retrospective!

I wish you could add to your store stuff like clear cases/shells for NES cartridges and famicom cartridges... As you are based in china I guess you will have access to them.
-Rama

Hello Rama and thanks for the input. I will take a look into it, but now it is soon spring festival so most things here will shut down until the end of the month, but absolutely. I will check around with suppliers and see if they can come up with something interesting. Stay tuned!  :-[ Thanks.

....Which reminds me that i want to notify everyone that the POST will also shut down, so any orders placed After tomorrow will be put on hold because of the Chinese new year. I am not sure how long this is going to be but i think until 25-26, which is unfortunate but nothing we really can help.  :'( Until then we will continue to upload products.  :)

Post Merge: February 11, 2015, 12:31:00 am

Some of the orders has been sent out! And we have updated with some new AV-mod kits, and some Keyboard famiclones which are indeed VERY heavy (the cost of shipping will exceed the price of the unit by far), so please kepp that in mind. Also we have updated with some DIY upgrade kits and a bunch of normal old school famiclones at a lower price. Welcome to check it out!  :)

Trenton_net

To be fair, I should mention to anyone interested in the UMC chips that from what I recall, two of the duty cycle registers are swapped inside the audio generator unit producing different sounds and music. It was one of the reasons I actually swap out real famicom CPU+PPU chips back in the day for these as a replacement. However, still awesome to see discrete chips lying around.

Retrospectives

You are totally right, Trenton_net, and it is worth pointing out for anyone who is a purist. For most people it should not make a big difference and for those who are used to glob-top Famiclones they wouldn't even notice, but the information you are providing is totally correct.  :) Quite funny actually since UMC were the real pioneers back in the days (even more than Micro Genius i would say). I remember they released a SMD-NOAC which was not glob-top somewhere around 94-95? These were not common at all in the west i believe but i have sources that points out that it at least served as a mobo for the Dendy Jr and the portable Game Axe. If i recall it correctly even Micro Genius 1000 used that chip in their later clones (or possibly a retailer who gained rights to their old supply) (I forgot the name but i have plenty of NTSC clones of these ones somewhere around here)....

prince tomato

i think i have one of those later Dendy versions with the SMD chip, i remember looking at it an wondering where the NOAC or the rest of the chipset was at the time  ;D
never knew there was anything between globtop and discrete chipset, let alone surface mount chips.
now i know.
you sure know your clones and hardware sir.