Sharp Twin Famicom Disk System Issue

Started by daskrabs, February 12, 2015, 06:55:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

daskrabs

I have a Turbo Twin (AN-505-BK) that I bought busted and dirty, but in decent cosmetic shape. New 3rd party PSU. The Japanese seller said "when power go in, smoke come out." I figured it had a bad main cap, correctly, which I replaced. The cartridge side now works fine, although the A and B buttons don't work, but they're probably just dirty contacts. The Disk System, on the other hand, won't light up at all. All I get is a grey screen instead of the "Set Disk Card" or whatever. No disk activity at all. Seems to be attached correctly and all. Any thoughts?

SegaSonic9

It may be busted or have a bad power board.  You can replace FDS drives in a Twin with a regular FDS system.  If it is a power issue though, that will not work.  I do not remember if there is a fuse on the FDS side, have you checked for that?

daskrabs

So a Nintendo FDS drive is a drop-in replacement for a Sharp one?

2A03

Quote from: daskrabs on February 12, 2015, 07:40:43 am
So a Nintendo FDS drive is a drop-in replacement for a Sharp one?

They're the exact same drive so yes.

SegaSonic9

Ummm, silly question, but are you moving the switch to "disk" when you try to use the FDS?  It will display a grey screen unless the system is switched to disk mode.

SegaSonic9

Heh, sorry, I said it was a stupid question :D  Did you check for a fuse on the FDS side?

daskrabs

Sydsydsyd

Today I was trying to play with disk mode and I don't have the classic image of Mario and Luigi jumping anymore, I get a gray screen.

Some time ago I closed the pins of the socket because it was very loose and I think that the pins that are facing each other were short-circuiting when there is no cassette placed in the socket.

I think this may have burned a chip on the floppy side of the motherboard. If that were the case, which part of the PCB (which chips) should I check? Is there some kind of fuse or logic gate that could blow due to what you mention? Thank you very much.

I hope this will help to the entire community to solve this problem, cuz I was searching a lot on the internet and couldn't find anyone mentioning that this could be the cause of this grey screen issue on disk mode.
Yeah, sure