March 29, 2024, 03:38:21 am

Wine

Started by fcgamer, February 13, 2015, 06:13:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fcgamer

Does anyone here like to drink wine?  If so, what are your preferences?

I had the fortune of working at a local winery in my younger years, as a summer job, and although I had to work very hard (the owner was retired ex-military), I learned a lot, and felt that I always earned an honest day's wage.  My coworkers and I used to go out onto the patio out back and bitch during our lunch time or break, but it was a nice atmosphere...vineyards all around, small country winery, and we could always take home the partially-used bottles of wine, after they had been opened for a day or so.  One of the things I learned while there was the secret of wine making, and for me, this is something I hold very dear to myself.  See, according to some research on my family history, it seems as though my dad's side of the family may have been the wine makers for the royal court in the Netherlands, so long ago.  So whenever I make a new batch of wine, I sort of feel that I am upholding the family tradition, and it makes me feel good.

When it comes to wine, I find all wine to be enjoyable, though I put it into two categories:  sophisticated wine, and back porch sipping wine.  The latter is what I like to call the sweet wine, just something to enjoy while talking with friends, sitting on the back porch, passing a guitar around, etc, whereas the dry red wines would be what I prefer when eating dinner, sipping for a romantic evening, etc.  My favorite wine styles (besides apple wine) are Cabernet savinoung (sorry I butchered the French spelling), Malbec, and Merlot.

Right now I am sipping some wine that I am currently making.  I decided to do a little experiment, and tried fermenting a grape wine directly into the remnants of a container I had used tor making an apple wine.  There was still maybe a liter or so of apple wine left, but I wanted to see if this project would actually turn out, and how it would alter the taste of the grape wine.  So far, I am quite pleased with the results, and I am leaning toward this method to make more wine in the future.

The really nice thing about making wine is that I can make a nice-tasting wine for about $20 USD, and we are talking 10 - 15 liter batches, enough to last someone for a month.  You can do the same with making your own beer (though the price to make it is more expensive), but the process to make beer is a bit more complicated.  I sometime also want to try dabbling with making my own spirits, but that is a process that I want to learn from an experienced worker, since I don't want anything blowing up in my face!

Does anyone else here have an appreciation for wine?
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

Jedi Master Baiter

I definitely don't have the same level of appreciation or knowledge as you do, but yeah, I like to drink wine. Especially with French bread and some Italian food.

But, honestly, I feel like I haven't developed enough taste for it yet, because they seem to more or less taste the same to me. :-[ But then again, all I really drink is Merlot. I guess I gotta try me some Chardonnay or Zinfandel.

On that note... why the hell does every beer drinker I meet try to convert me? ??? Like, seriously, is there some sort of hidden agenda to mark every adult guy an alcoholic? I don't binge. I don't drink to get drunk. I don't party. I find beer (at least here in the U.S.) repulsive.

Also, I'm jealous, we have (had?) a winery near our house but they were never hiring.

Retrospectives

My favourite grape would be the Saint Laurent although it might be a little bit harsh to drink without something to eat, so i mostly drink it when there is preferrably some meat or similar going down with it.

If we are talking stand-alone wines to sip on a summer evening i would prefer the more lighter wines based of the wineyards in Bordeaux, and especially a young Bourgogne as a personal favourite. There are also great South Africans wines out there for anyone who want a good, yet different experience tastewise.

I do not drink white wine but a glass of Rosé like Languedoc-Roussillon or Loire is always a favourite.

Wines to not recommend: Anything that comes from Eastern Asia, unless you are a fan of drinking vinegrette  ;D

StJackie

Love Red wine myself.  Developed a taste for it during a 2 week New Years binge few years back lol..

Pinot Noir is my preference.. Im not too much into sweet wine though.   Dislike a lot of Japanese wine due to heavy sweetness..   Heavy , Full body, plus a good meal is great.

I dont drink White Wine.. dont have the taste buds for it..   

I use the Vivino app to help me remember some of the ones i liked..

fcgamer

I don't prefer the sweet wines either - they are best to be drank chilled, but I'll always take a dry red first.

In Taiwan there are actually a lot of small local wineries that make excellent wine.  I've been wanting to put together a wine tour map for when my dad comes to visit.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

80sFREAK

Wine is good. I prefer dry wine, red or white, it depends. If you can get berries(raspberry, blackberry, cassis) with reasonable price, you can make quite nice wine. Just be careful when drinking raspberry wine.

Distillation is not so complicated, but you will need some "equipment".
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

UglyJoe

I'm going to buck the trend here: my wife and I mostly drink semi-sweet wines.  I don't mind a dry red wine with meals, though.

Anyone tried chocolate wine?  If you get a chance, I would suggest avoiding it since I think it tastes vile.

Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on February 13, 2015, 08:27:52 pm
On that note... why the hell does every beer drinker I meet try to convert me? ??? Like, seriously, is there some sort of hidden agenda to mark every adult guy an alcoholic? I don't binge. I don't drink to get drunk. I don't party. I find beer (at least here in the U.S.) repulsive.

I know what you mean.  I do drink beer, but I know an alarming amount of people who brew their own beer and/or have built their own kegerator.