Online retailer requesting a photocopy of my credit card...

Started by zmaster18, February 17, 2015, 02:44:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zmaster18

I'm trying to buy multiple copies of a game from an online retailer in Canada, Archambault, and they said for security reasons they are requesting a photocopy of the front and back as well as a signed letter giving permission to charge my card. I checked my online banking and my card was already charged for the order. They won't ship my order until they get the photocopy.

They request this because I'm a new customer and I'm buying 10 of the same game.

Also Archambault is one of Nintendo's official retailers in Canada.

This seems quite sketchy, I will be calling my bank for advice and then archambault to ask why they need this information. I tried googling similar problems, and only people who are booking a hotel in a foreign country sometimes have to provide photocopies. This just seems waaay to weird.

maxellnormalbias

Well, Quebec wants to be a foreign country, so maybe Archambault's just preparing for it (j/k)

This is REALLY crazy. I think it might a phishing site disguised as Archambault.

L___E___T

If they've charged your card already then the bank has authorised it.  If they need prrof of ID that's one thing - but a picture of the card proves nothing more than the information they already have.  A stolen card for example looks exactly like a real one, so what does a picture prove?  Don't send the photocopy, it's not secure.  Ask your bank for advice and they can call them if need be.  If the bank honours it, they will be fine.

This is just my take, don't hold me to it, I'm not a financial advisor etc. etc. but alarm bells would be ringing loud and clear for me.

How did they contat you?  By phone or mail?  Give them a call and talk through your concerns.  Who uses photocopies these days anyway...
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

zmaster18

Eff this purchase, I'm just going to cancel and buy more retro stuff from Yamatoku instead. Never trust this stupid site ever again. Today I will be calling them to cancel my purchase, and then my bank to confirm that I am cancelling the payment.

UglyJoe

Quote from: zmaster18 on February 17, 2015, 02:44:22 pm
This seems quite sketchy

Quote from: zmaster18 on February 18, 2015, 06:22:43 am
Eff this purchase

Yeah, pretty much.  They may not have ill intentions with their request, but that's just too strange to deal with.

zmaster18

I called today and they said that since video game purchases are likely to be fraudulent sometimes, they take extra measures with purchases like these. Best Buy, Futureshop, or Amazon would never do something like this. My money should be refunded within a few days.

L___E___T

What game were you trying to buy ten of?  It's kind've true you do get fraud cases like that with stolen cards, but they've lost all your business now over a small amount for them to risk, it's a bit short sighted of them.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

maxellnormalbias

Quote from: zmaster18 on February 18, 2015, 01:00:57 pm
I called today and they said that since video game purchases are likely to be fraudulent sometimes, they take extra measures with purchases like these. Best Buy, Futureshop, or Amazon would never do something like this. My money should be refunded within a few days.

Or NCIX if you know what I mean.... *hint hint* *linus linus*