Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask + Best/Worst 3D/2D Zelda?

Started by zmaster18, February 19, 2015, 07:49:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zmaster18

So I just played and 100% beat both Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora's Mask 3D back to back in the past 2 weeks. Both of these games are among the best Zelda games ever. Which one do you like better? I'll explain which one is mine after you guys give your opinion.

Edit: Also, what is the best/worst 3D Zelda? Best/worst 2D Zelda?

JessicaWolf

Majora's Mask sucks. The writing is weak and the "save" system is one of the worst ever written in a game. I truly believe that all these people who think it is the best game ever all have their judgement clouded by the lens of nostalgia and fail to remember how many bad reviews the game got when it was first released.
Here are a few games I am looking for right now
Super Puzzle Fighter II X (Sega Saturn)
GeGeGe no Kotarou (Sega Saturn)
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (Sega Saturn)
KiKi KaiKai (PC Engine) (CIB)
Puzzle Bobble (Super Famicom) (CIB)

MarioMania

I think Ocarina of Time is a better game, But I need to start it up again

maxellnormalbias

Jedi Master Baiter

I think Majora's Mask is what killed the series for me. I stopped playing Zelda after that because I felt all subsequent games were just rehashes of the formula.

However, Majora's Mask was notably bad because:

-linear (why can't I go to the beach or mountain before going to the swamp?)
-frustratingly limited time (y'know... the whole moon crashing into the Earth thing)
-overall dark storyline (I don't mind this, but for real, what's up with the final boss? Is that thing supposed to be a chicken or something?)
-Am I the only one who thinks most of the original (not from Ocarina of Time) music is bad? Some of these tunes just seem like Kondo strung together notes until he gave up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuTUy6wgtf4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM-fZl73OiQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrlWZoyEouY

Honestly, Majora's Mask was probably good for the limited time they had to work on the game. So whoever the hell was in charge of that project is to blame. I see now why Nintendo doesn't like rehashing game engines for their sequels:

Exhibit A
Exhibit B
Exhibit C (Crap! This was a good one!)

fcgamer

Wow, those Majora's Mask tunes are painful to listen to.

I loved Ocarina of Time.  It is my favorite Zelda game of all time...after playing it, I didn't have much interest in continuing the series, because I honestly felt that since that game was so amazing, nothing would be able to compare to it.

With Majora's Mask, I remember a friend had let my brother and I borrow it for a few weeks to a month.  The game could have been good, I think, but I hated the time reset thing...just so frustrating, annoying actually, and that made me lose all interest in the game.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

P

I agree that they are both among the best Zelda games. I regarded it as the last really good Zelda until I played Skyward Sword. Ocarina is more epic with it's story and all (Majora is just a side-story after all) but Majora is more polished, and has it's own unique setting and style that I really like (you gotta love Clock Town with all it's inhabitants that all have their own stories). Also the music might even be a step up from Ocarina. It's really a work of geniuses.

Quote from: JessicaWolf on February 20, 2015, 05:49:34 pm
Majora's Mask sucks. The writing is weak and the "save" system is one of the worst ever written in a game. I truly believe that all these people who think it is the best game ever all have their judgement clouded by the lens of nostalgia and fail to remember how many bad reviews the game got when it was first released.
There's no truth to this IMHO (except that about the save system). For whatever reason I never bought the game at release and didn't get a chance to play the game until many years later so the nostalgia factor doesn't apply at all in my case. When I played it I noticed how much more I enjoyed it than games for the current consoles at that time and I even thought that it could be the last of the "classic" Nintendo games that I've grown up with (something I later learned to be wrong). Besides I don't see what good or bad reviews has anything to do with one's opinion about the game.

But yeah the save system is very impractical (especially the Japanese version were you can't do temporary saves at owl statues).

zmaster18

Majora's Mask was actually pretty annoying to complete. My biggest concern with the game is that I can't freely explore all the areas. It's very linear, and you can't even get a little peak of the other areas at the start of the game. Also, the items were so underused in this game. Lens of truth is only used like 5 times, powder kegs were not necessary. Even the bombs, deku sticks/nuts, and bombchu were barely used. I liked how there were lots of secret holes you can find, but each one usually had 20 rupees in it. Whoopty-doo. Also, there really wasn't too much combat in this game that was actually challenging. I only had 1 game over when I played the 3D version.

A large bulk of the game was all about side-quests where you get a mask that usually serves one purpose: to get a piece of heart. I wish more of the masks were useful. I also preferred to play as regular link with the bunny hood the whole time, or goron link when traveling long distances. Epona wasn't needed that much in this game either, except for jumping over like 3 fences. Ice and light arrows were barely used as well. The whole game wasn't zeldaish at all...you don't get to explore that much or even use your items much.

The fishing holes added in the 3D version were frustrating. There are more than 20 varieties of fish in the game, but I couldn't seem to catch more than 5. The water was empty and I was wasting hours of gameplay only to catch like 10 in total.

What I did like about the game were all the mini-games and shops. That's pretty much it.

Ocarina of Time is awesome. The first three dungeons were classic and exploring the woods, field, castle, mountain, and zora's river felt like a big 'ol adventure. (I love zora's river, it's a fun obstacle course full of jumping, climbing, and flying with a cuucoo) Once you become adult link and have the hookshot, you can pretty much go anywhere you want. Sure, you won't beat the dungeons without the needed items, but at least you have the option to explore and peek at what's next in the game. I hate being so restricted in Majora's Mask!

While the world in Ocarina of Time wasn't perfect, it's as good as it's going to get. I wish the field and other areas just had a little more extra caves, holes, and secrets, but I understand that the game could only have so much with its limited memory. Also my complaint with Master Quest is that they could have done a better job with mixing up the dungeons. For example, why not have the iron boots in the fire temple, or hover boots in the forest temple, or hookshot in another temple - just completely remix the order. They could have kept the same structures of the dungeons, just changed the obstacles inside. (what if the fire temple also had water and ice inside? That would be crazy!)

Ocarina of Time is also one of my all-time favourite games. I think I played through it 5 times since I was a kid. This game was also the single most inspirational thing to me as the world of Hyrule totally captured my imagination. When I played pretend games with my friends at recces, it was always Ocarina of time haha. I would dream of being able to go on such an awesome adventure. Also my all-time favorite video game item is the Hookshot. I wish it existed in real life! :P

P

Quote from: zmaster18 on February 22, 2015, 06:28:16 pm
the items were so underused in this game. Lens of truth is only used like 5 times, powder kegs were not necessary. Even the bombs, deku sticks/nuts, and bombchu were barely used. I liked how there were lots of secret holes you can find, but each one usually had 20 rupees in it. Whoopty-doo. Also, there really wasn't too much combat in this game that was actually challenging. I only had 1 game over when I played the 3D version.
Aren't you confusing Majora for Ocarina? The bombchus was only used in ONE dungeon in Ocarina and even though the main bombchu shop had limited stock it was impossible to run out unless you used them a LOT, and since they weren't really useful in battle or anything you just had to spam them at everything if you wanted to buy up them all. Since the economy is the worst in any Zelda this was annoying too (too easy to get money, nothing to buy and too small wallet). And the Ice Arrow in Ocarina was pretty much useless and could only be gotten at the end of the game so there was almost no chance to even play around with it. In Majora it's at least needed in dungeons. And for combat, Ocarina is the hands down easiest game in the (main) series. Majora is actually making things better by adding more challenging enemies, but it too have the same problem that all modern Zelda games has: too damn weak enemies!!!

Sure Majora is more linear than many other Zelda for dungeons but that's it. It's more focus on Clock Town and it's side quests, rather than dungeons (there's only four worlds/dungeons) and in that sense I think it has a good balance of linearity. The masks serve mostly as mementos of the people you helped, you want every mask be as useful as the hookshot? That's a LOT of usable items for a Zelda game!

QuoteThe fishing holes added in the 3D version were frustrating.

Fishing in Majora 3D? Damn now I'm interested! That's the one important thing that was really missing from Majora!

Sarahconner

Can anyone answer a question about Zelda 2?  I have three Magic containers & can't get the fourth in new kasuto.  Why?

P

I think this question deserves it's own topic.

Anyway, are you sure you have 7 squares in the magic bar? The only requirement I know is that you have them all when you talk to the old lady that asks if you "have 7 containers" (which is really 3 containers if you don't count the 4 you start with).

Also what's your magic experience level (I don't think it matters but who knows)?

Retrospectives

What is this? I just completed the "Death labyrint" of zelda 2? What the hell do i need to get into Majoras Mask?  :'(

P

Is this a question about Zelda 2 or Majoras Mask?

meilleuir

I do not understand why people hate Majora's mask that much .

I remember playing both when I was younger and had a great time .

Majora's is way deeper / darker than Ocarina of time .
With a great replay level for me .

Plus the new 3ds version looks sick.

zmaster18

Quote from: meilleuir on March 12, 2015, 02:50:14 am
I do not understand why people hate Majora's mask that much .

I remember playing both when I was younger and had a great time .

Majora's is way deeper / darker than Ocarina of time .
With a great replay level for me .

Plus the new 3ds version looks sick.

I would say both of the games are equally good, but Ocarina is more good :P

Now to ask another question to everyone, what is the best/worst 3D Zelda and best/worst 2D Zelda?

I played every Zelda except for Spirit tracks and A Link Between Worlds(will start soon).
Best 3D - Ocarina of Time
Worst 3D - Twilight Princess

Twilight Princess had waaaaaay too much story. I tried playing the game again for the third time, and got 20 hours in. I'm only at the 3rd dungeon. This game is boring, but my brother says the game actually becomes fun at some point. Skyward Sword also suffers from too much 'blah blah blah', but that game was slightly more interesting and actually had good controls. I also stopped playing that one after the first dungeon.

Best 2D - Minish Cap
Worst 2D - Four Swords Adventures (this barely counts since it's a spinoff and is linear in design.) or Phantom Hourglass

I didn't really like Phantom Hourglass that much because the dungeons were simply giant rooms with walls in between, it just wasn't the original feel of zelda. I'm also aware that you have to return to that ocean king dungeon 10 times throughout the game.