A big trouble with disk drive unit

Started by Dalmore, February 20, 2015, 03:02:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalmore

Hello everyone, i bought a FDS and i have few problems (springs missing in action, drive belt broken...) One problem is that the white gear indicated in the photo with the green arrow (this photo is not mine) is missing! This unit has been opened before by someone.

Can you tell me if I can find this piece in a shop or someone that can sell?

Can I do anything without this piece?

Best regards.

zmaster18

It's going to be nearly impossible to replace that gear, since no one sells these parts individually. You'll have to buy another unit.

number47

It is possible to create a 3d printed spare if someone could measure and describe the gear precisely enough. Thou I don't know how common are 3d printers in Spain.

Dalmore

Well... This is bad news for me.  :(
3D printers exist here, the problem is how to indicate the gear measures.

I'll have to buy another disk drive. I saw something on ebay, with "Junk" condition... Could be a good choice? Or is the problem of the gear very common?

Thaks a lot for your answers zmaster18 & number47.

80sFREAK

Junk condition=lotto. Here few members located in Japan, so ask them for help.

I have no idea, where you could get your FDS, maybe after some sort of "modder"?
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

Dalmore

I got my FDS on ebay as untested condition, it has certainly been a lotto.
Thanks for your reply and your advice, I was thinking of buying another unit, but I do not want to rush, i will try to contact these members.

Regards.

(Sorry for my english :-[)

zmaster18

Try and get another disk drive for about $30-40, and you can probably even take the parts out and sell them to other members individually. I'm sure someone else in the future is going to need specific parts and now you'll be able to sell them.

Dalmore

I'm thinking of buying a unit that works. I prefer not to play Lotto again zmaster18.
but the disk units are about $ 60( with shipping charges included) on eBay... Does anyone know a cheaper store or site?
Greetings!

zmaster18

I think that's a good price. I'm willing to pay $100 for a working drive and I've actually sold about 5 FDS systems in working condition for about $100 each. I say just go for it.

That price is also worth not having to waste hours of trial and error to fix the system. The very first FDS I fixed when I was new to repairing must have taken me 20+ hours of tinkering, re-adjusting, even just turning a screw over and over and over... These systems are completely a pain in the butt to fix unless you have learned everything there is to know about calibration and adjustments. Also consider the amount of time reading and researching!

I think even $60 shipped on ebay is the best price I have ever heard for a working FDS. Get it before someone else does!

80sFREAK

Wheh i sold repaired FDS units for $30+shipping people called me asshole, because i did it not as regular shop and they wanted cheaper(yes, even cheaper) and faster delivery. Now they have to pay $100  ::) Oh, well, sorry for offtopic.
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

Dalmore

Certainly , the price of $ 60 is the lowest I could find.
Maybe perhaps I paid too little when I bought my FDS disk drive + Famicom console . (I bought both for 45$ shipped). Famicom works fine but the disk drive have the mentioned problem.

Following your advice , I 'll try to get a unit that works (I´m impatient to see my FDS working properly) and will contact any user who can sell the gear to fix my broken unit .

Thnaks zmaster18 & 80sFREAK for your post!!!
Best regards!

fredJ

You just need a gear?
I have a lot of junk parts, a gear should not be a problem. You mean the entire gear unit, right? gear + metal holder.

Shipping from Europe too...
I can also sell you a working FDS if you need... Actually sold four twin famicoms in the last 10 days. ;)
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

Dalmore

Exactly FredJ, i need the gear + metal holder. In my FDS these parts are missing.
Yesterday i bought another working FDS from Japan, but I'm still interested for parts to repair my first FDS.

Greetings.

SegaSonic9

You could buy the disk section itself for about ¥500 on yahoo.  Maybe you should try that?  I saw a couple of them on eBay but of course, the price was stupid.

Dalmore

Quote from: SegaSonic9 on March 15, 2015, 12:54:25 pm
You could buy the disk section itself for about ¥500 on yahoo.  Maybe you should try that?  I saw a couple of them on eBay but of course, the price was stupid.

Really? Wow, It might be interesting...
I am not very acquainted to buying in Yahoo, but I will search. Thank you SegaSonic9,
Greetings.