Restoring systems using swapped OE parts and value

Started by NikuSama, March 15, 2015, 11:10:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NikuSama

Terms I may use: cause I know some of you may not be privvy

OE = Original Equipment
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer

ok so this is something I have been thinking for a while, has the "scene" gotten to the point where if the parts being used are not the original parts the system / game shipped with does it affect the value?
Think of it like in terms of restoring a car and theres the term where its "numbers matching" usually refers to all of the serials across the OE power train all match to what the OEM would have on file, some times it goes beyond that.

for an example in the gaming world. a SNES, they go yellow some times you get a half yellow or a full yellow. Lets say this one in particular is fully yellowed and the shell is not salvageable. you have one that looks good but doesn't work. so you swap the working guts into the good shell. the serial number on the yellowed one is for a SHVC sound motherboard and the serial number on the good shell is a one chip. both of these are dirt common systems but if you knew it had taken place would it affect the value of the system at that point?

another, more real, example

about a month ago I won this auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331476056876?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I was after a square button famicom, I cant tell if that system (scroll down a bit) is a square button famicom but I see the box is and that in it self is most of the value of that particular version of the system to me.
but that system looks super bad from the top view. usually the bottom part is ok, the tops almost SNES / SFC bad.
so this one is missing a big chunk in the back top, the red flappy over the cart slot and who knows what else. I have a good top from a "non working" round button famicom. assuming everything works, swap the tops and have a good looking square button and a crappy looking round to mod. would it still affect the value of the square button? keep in mind all of my famicom tops do not have the FF logo on them, they are strictly all just "FAMILY COMPUTER" systems

since famicoms usually have a serial number on the box on the system and in the manual if I had a complete setup with manuals and the serial numbers didn't match would it affect the value of the system in your mind?

as for that auction. it shipped about a month ago so I have roughly 2 more months to wait, and yes i'll probably sell off one of the saturns but I have to check them out before I do any thing

Edit:
I cross posted this on the Digital Press Forums

zmaster18

I think only few people care about all these specs. Most people who want a console just want to play it. But for those who buy everything mint complete in box or brand new would probably care. Possibly in 10 or 20 years from now more people would care about this kind of thing.

L___E___T

It says they're defective items - if they don't work then obviously the value is massively impacted.

I think when it comes to Square Button Famicoms - yes the box is a part of it but if the Famicom itself isn't ll original then that will also affect the value.  I don't think it's going to affect the value of  a regular Famicom but it does for the Square button version because they are so much rarer and interesting from a historical POV.  There are a number of differences in addition to the buttons so yes it would make a difference.  Still, great deal if it works and you can package it all up as a 'restored' example with the changes taken into account.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

NikuSama

aside from the casing on the bottom being smooth as opposed to textured, the FF logo on the logo plate thingy and main board revisions what other differences are there between the square and rounds?

from what I can tell early round button top halves with out FF are the same as the squares.

and as for defective, I shot them a message before bidding. They are untested JUNK, kinda like the stuff you find in the back of a Hard Off store. it might work, it might not, you just cant return it (not like I would).
usually when they sell stuff and its tested, not working, they give a description of what it is, or isn't, doing. since it was a lot I thought it was odd that it was labeled defective instead of untested but its just hard to keep it all straight when you have many people posting for one site.

this is the 3rd famicom I have bought from them, all the rest were sold as junk too and worked fine, some needed a little cleaning. the boxed complete FDS I bought from them said it was a loading error in the description and was sold as junk, it was just a broken belt (haven't replaced it yet) and all the SuFami's I have got from them just boot right up.