Different texts in two FDS?

Started by Dalmore, March 22, 2015, 01:28:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalmore

Hello friends, I have a doubt on the FDS...
Because my first FDS unit was incomplete, I had to buy a new drive unit and the new drive i've seen that a different text.

How many versions of fds are there?

Greetings!

BaconBitsKing

From what I can tell, there's only two versions of the Disk System. I'm assuming that the one without the extra text is an older model, since it doesn't seem like they'd remove text on their system.

People are still trying to figure out how many versions of the Famicom exist, as well.

synt4x

Quote from: BaconBitsKing on March 29, 2015, 07:26:09 pm
I'm assuming that the one without the extra text is an older model, since it doesn't seem like they'd remove text on their system.

On later versions of the US SNES they removed some of the printed text and replaced it with text molded into the plastics to save money. They also did this with the L and R buttons on later SNES controllers. Or at least that's what I've been told on another forum. So the one without the extra text could also be a newer model.

P

According to this article http://famicomworld.com/workshop/tech/fds-power-board-modifications/ there are two versions of the drive board (FD7201 and the newer FD3206) and five revisions of the power board (FMD-POWER-01 through 05).

The warning message on the front (it says "Please don't press the eject button while the busy lamp is lit") isn't a way to tell which version you have though.

2A03

That's definitely an early unit, my brother's FDS also lacks the extra text near the disk access LED and it has a fairly low serial number. Those early units also have a smooth top whereas most have it textured. The early RAM adapters are the same way.