Repro Famicom/NES Games

Started by MarioMania, March 29, 2015, 12:14:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

number47

The number UNROM-## doesn't matter. You have to look for a matching iNES mapper, PCB class, SRAM size, mirroring and PRG size.

Raverrevolution

Seriously, thank you guys for all the info in this thread!!  I've been meddling in this myself.  Mostly I'm interested in translating some games. 

I just did FFII this past weekend and to my amazement it worked well.  Quick question, should I be soldering the two open pins together?  That's the 5V to pin 1.  I'm finding that I should and I will tonight, but I was just curious what you guys think.

Also one more question.  I see lots of talk about buying your own EEPROM writer, but you could order a chip off of Buyicnow.com and use their burn in service for a little extra money.  Has anyone here used this?  Thank you.

jpx72

If you mean the VPP (or any other) pin, you should look in the datasheet of your exact eprom, just google a pdf of it. There is always a table with correct connections, look for row named "read" which means - what should be connected if you want to read the info (rom) from the chip. Usually there is just X which means either +5V or GND. Leaving it unconnected is not ok, so choose which is more comfortable to connect and do it.

MarioMania

Yeah, Thanks for the info, How I wish I could end up making repros

muckyfingers

Quote from: Raverrevolution on March 31, 2015, 08:15:00 am
Seriously, thank you guys for all the info in this thread!!  I've been meddling in this myself.  Mostly I'm interested in translating some games. 

I just did FFII this past weekend and to my amazement it worked well.  Quick question, should I be soldering the two open pins together?  That's the 5V to pin 1.  I'm finding that I should and I will tonight, but I was just curious what you guys think.

Also one more question.  I see lots of talk about buying your own EEPROM writer, but you could order a chip off of Buyicnow.com and use their burn in service for a little extra money.  Has anyone here used this?  Thank you.

If you aren't making many, then paying for chips to be programmed is smart. If you plan on making more than a few, just invest in an EPROM programmer like the GQ-4X or even the TOP3000 USB programmer, it can do Genesis games without any adapters as well as any Famicom/NES game.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOP3000-USB-Universal-Programmer-MCU-PIC-AVR-51-MUK-/181516723750?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a433d6626&rmvSB=true

MarioMania

That looks cool

Any videos about the link you posted?

muckyfingers

Quote from: MarioMania on April 04, 2015, 01:02:58 am
That looks cool

Any videos about the link you posted?

No, but it's been around a few years, the TOP3100 is the newer more expensive model, not necessary for Fami and Genny.

Jabra

Are the repros and translations licensed ???  Are the repros and the translations considered ''pirates'' ...????

number47

April 19, 2015, 12:03:11 pm #23 Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 01:49:35 am by number47
It has been discussed here:
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=11714.msg159277#msg159277

OK. Just finished my first repro. Took one of many Dragon Quest III cartridges I own and gave it a new life as Zelda's US version.