Family Basic PCB scans/photo's and/or schematics wanted

Started by 19rsn007, March 30, 2015, 12:59:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

19rsn007

Hey people,

I need some  :help:;D

I bought a Dendy Computer yesterday.
It's basically a NOAC with a keyboard attached.
The thing didn't come with anything, except for some famicom multicarts so at first I couldn't do anything with it.

Gamepad connectors were the DB15 type, so hooking up gamepads (my original NES gamepads) required taking my scope and multimeter and finding out what pin goes where.
That took about half an hour and some breadboard cables as a temporary hookup, but I did play some games on it. (see pictrures below)

Now I wanted to take things a step further.
I want to see if I can manage to build a Family Basic cartrdige.
This would involve hacking the Family Basic rom to talk to Subor type keyboards, which I am working on right now, but here comes the part where I need your  :help: .

Does anyone have pcb scans and/or schematics for the Family Basic cartridge PCB ?
If so, please share.....

Here are some pictures of my Dendy Computer clone

The machine:

Temporary NES gamepad hookup:

Machine playing Dr. Mario from one of the pirate multicarts that came with it:

80sFREAK

AFAIK there is at least two versions of keyboard matrix and it might be not compatible(scan subroutine) with original Family Basic.

Family Basic is NROM-256 with RAM @ 6000-7FFFh
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

19rsn007

hey!

Thanks for the reply.
I know the original keyboard routines might not be compatible.
I did find a Family Basic V2.1 patched version with the keyboard routines for Subor keyboards (which seems to be what my clone uses)

So now I was wondering what the cart looks like on the inside.
Maybe I can build my own cartridge for this device, which would be really really cool.

[EDIT]
I was diving into the technical side of this clone today and I must say....I really like it.
Saving my programs can be done.
I looked into the family basic stuff and the tape recorder today and to my suprise, the audio output for a tape recorder is available on this clone.
As for loading.....if my discoveries on this machine are right, audio input is also available, but I didn't have the right parts ready for building an audio input interface.

I did manage to save a custom build track on Excitebike to my PC with audio recording software.
As soon as I build the audio input device, I'll let you guys know if it works